Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where I work I can't take it in the building (10 years of making big rocks in to little rocks), and I don't want it sitting in the truck all day long - especially in the summer. That leaves early mornings and evenings for taking images. Early morning are usually consumed with phone calls back east - and that is not really conducive to photography while driving to work. Sunsets are good - if I can leave early enough. So - in many ways, I feel stuck. I try to get out once a week and on weekends, but lately I just get home exhausted.

There is another poster (who posts here too, occasionally) on another board, who posts her weekly shots. A wide variety of everything - and practice makes for a good eye. I see her posts and say to myself - even if I could get out at lunch, there is really nothing that interesting that I see. Then, I see yet another set of shots of just normal stuff that she makes very interesting to look at.... I need to at least try.

03-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I was in a similar situation about a month ago. I didn't like bringing my K-x around everywhere because it's bigger and expensive (to me!), but my cell phone camera just wasn't cutting it, so I picked up a lightly used Olympus E-PL1 to be my 'take everywhere' camera. I'll be putting the Olympus back up on ebay this weekend: I am so used to the controls and images from the K-x that what I get from the E-PL1 just doesn't make me as happy, so after a week of carrying around the Oly, I've just started bringing the K-x everywhere, with a smaller manual lens (Sigma 28/2.8 Macro, Pentax-A 50/2.0, or Sigma 90/2.8 Macro), and don't miss anything at all from the E-PL1. I'm happy and my K-x is happy.

So basically what I'm saying is.. bring the K-5
03-28-2012, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #18

I do not carry my k5 all the time. Simple reason is i get preoccupied with photography and do not enjoy other activities as much as i should.
03-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #19

During April, Im planning to bring my K200 to work every day as I have:
~new smaller lenses I can use to make the camera smaller
~bought a new smaller Lowepro sling bag so I dont look too goofy carrying my big camera bag during lunch time
~have a K5 coming soon, so I probably can leave my 200 locked in my office to take photo everyday...

03-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to carry a DSLR all the time, but then I bought a Q.
Now I carry it all the time.
03-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #21

I must admit when I first saw a Q at the shop, I actually thought it was a fake toy display... it is tiny and cute... specially the lens...
03-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Do you have a DSLR with you all the time?
Always at least two, plus a P&S Lumix and a iPhone, just feel naked without 'em

P.S. It's also real hard to take pictures without 'em.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-15-2012 at 03:02 PM.
03-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I take an Olympus XZ-1 with me when I don't have one of my Pentax DSLRs (K-5 and K200D). I like the fact that it can fit in my front pocket, and I can still get some depth-of-field effects if I need. I had decided If I were going to have a "go anywhere" camera, I wanted the lens built it - it just makes more sense (although I shoot mostly primes on my Pentax bodies).

The XZ-1 isn't as good as a DSLR, but it still shoots RAW, has an average sensor (compared to other current models, which means it's still good), and a nice lens. It takes video I'm happy with and it fits in my pocket. I feel like it's OK if it's the only camera I have sometimes, since I'll still get acceptable quality RAW files.

The Q is really small and takes nice photos, however. Something about it's size combined with it's perceived build quality makes you want one, and the back-lit sensor gives nice color to help seal the deal. I'm glad I already had my Olympus when I first saw it. When you actually handle one you may want one!

REALLY, though, giving it more thought, you seriously need to let go of that "the K-5's my baby" thing. The K-x is a great camera and you should take it with you. Let your wife get more attached to the K-5, so she'll be more in your camp when you need new lenses/accessories, and you'll be able to more easily upgrade to the K-5's successor when it comes out. Worst case is she won't want to give it back, and then you'll really have justification to upgrade!
03-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

No. I can't afford to take my K-x with me a lot around here. Too likely I will lose it that way. I do usually have a camera even if it's just a pocket digital. This town you have to be careful. I can get away with a pocket camera or even an old SLR a lot of the time, but pull out my K-x and suddenly I get way too much of the wrong attention. I do use it a lot, in safer places, but I'm not carrying it around with me all the time. That camera is my baby. If I ever lost it I would be crushed.
03-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Bag plus k20d plus m40 as basic but swap in if other image making jobs are anticipated depending on needs. Everywhere all the time.
03-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The way I travel around its a bit inconvenient to always carry around my K-r.. If I had the money for a Pentax Q, though, Id get it and carry it with me all the time!
03-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

DSLR is just too big. I bought a Canon G12. The VF is poor but the swivel screen is great and plenty of controls. Its always in my car or I just wear loose fitting pants to be able to put it in my pocket when I am unable to wear a jacket.
03-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My K20d, lenses and tripod go with me everywhere. It goes to work and sits on it's own chair next to my desk, or it's in the rear of my Subaru when I'm not home with it. When I think of some of the shots I would of missed otherwise ... well, I just can't be without it.
03-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #29
Pentaxian

My K200D travels the country with me on my field service calls. I have it with me in Tuscaloosa, AL this week and later this afternoon I may get a chance to catch some old warbirds and the Blue Angels. Tomorrow if everything works out I'll get to take in Indycar practice at Barber Motorsports Park outside of Birmingham before I fly home tomorrow night. You just never know what you stumble across. I just heard an F/A 18 Hornet streak over the restaurant I'm having lunch in! Gotta go!!!
03-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I would carry my K-5 everywhere if it wasnt too big. So no, I don't.
I would love to have a carry everywhere fixed lens, high performing camera, such as a G1X...but whenever I save enough money for one, i buy a lens for my K-5 instead, lol.