Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yeah. The old "Small body, big lens" vs. "Big body, small lens" debate. Like my K-01/DA40L in my briefcase.
Exactly. My wife thinks the Lumix is "cute" so maybe we'll keep it.

03-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Carry a big DSLR like my K10 with grip ? not any more. I use the Sony NEX, and I've always had a small film SLR - Canon AE1P or Minolta XD7 - in the car with B&W film along with my old Canon G3 digital and usually an old Samsung Vega 35mm compact. I've got a bag with all kinds of crap in it, EpiPen, spare glasses, water bottle, phone, wallet and usually some chocolate so there's always a selection of cameras in there somewhere.
03-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
24-7 the hard part is when my K-5 is under my pillow and my better half spoons in the middle of the night and wakes up with the impression of the eyepiece on his cheek.in the morning.
04-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #49
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I always have my K5D with me

I have my K5D, DA18-135mm. DA15mm. and FA 31mm with me at all times. I don't stop to use them enough though.
Joe

04-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #50

I don't carry mine all the time. But when I hang out w/ friends on social occasions, I'm the camera guy. At first my friends were kinda weird about it, but when they see their pics in such clarity when I post on Facebook, they immediately change their minds when I tag them. It puts to shame all the crappy pics they shoot w/ their P&S and iPhones/Droids.
04-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Notall the time, but most of the time--and an assortment of lenses, too. For the sake of security, I just bury the gear under the trash in the back of my beat-up Forester.
04-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Years ago I went for a walk to a lake, (where I am now actually) and a hawk screamed right above me. Its shadow went across in front of me so I looked, two were circling me about 20 feet up. They circled a half dozen times, screamed a time or two and flew away. Where was my ME Super? On the kitchen table 2 miles away...

That didn't happen again, the camera went into my truck and stayed there from then on, when I went for a walk on the lake it was always with me. I still do the same over 20 years later with my K-x, I take it and a Samsung P&S everywhere but the bathroom. Both are always in the seat beside me when I drive, virtually everywhere I go. I missed several good shots years ago with 35mm because I didn't have the camera, the hawks were the last straw. I think I've left the house twice in the past 20 years without a camera of some sort. I can't take a picture if I don't have it with me, and by having it with me and looking for chances to use it, I get loads of good shots.
04-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #53
Veteran Member

For me, I carry my DSLR all the time as in everyday (In my bag: K-7 with grip, 10-24mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm, & an iPad for processing and mailing my images). I don't miss a day going out without my camera. Why? It is both my passion and also my job. And just like Mr. Paleo Pete's experience, I went out one day without a camera then that day just having loads of great photo-opportunities. I don't want that to happen again, so I literally bring along with my my gear everyday.

04-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #54

bah.... one day I forget to bring my camera to work, I find out it's Prosh day here in Perth where the local university student dress up in costume sell funny newspaper for charity.... it would have been great to take some street photos.... if I had my camera with me....

*sad face*
04-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #55

I usually have my k-x bag/kit in the car.
04-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I was glad I had my WR K200D with me last Friday. I didn't have to hide under a tent and I still got a bunch of great shots.

04-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I seem to recall a past thread on the order of WHAT SHOTS DID YOU MISS? If a camera isn't within reach, that could be very very many missed shots. That's why, when I'm driving, the K20D (usually with the DA18-250 mounted) is always on a no-skid pad on the dashboard, a few inches from my fingers. And when I'm walking, a P&S is always in my pocket, whether or not the K20D is around my neck. Remember, the IQ of a missed shot is zero.
04-05-2012, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

I carry my K-5 almost religiously - Though the times I manage to forget it are when the best photo ops come up it seems...(Like the double rainbow, over the river while there were no cars on the bridge, and the sky around me was crystal clear...)

The 18-135 has a bad string of reviews, however, personally, I find it's quite the nice lens. Great "Walk-around", though not the sharpest(It's a super-zoom, what do people expect?), it proves it's worth by both being WR and good enough for everyday shots. I might suggest getting a feel for it though, if you have a camera shop around you that will allow such a thing. I find it balances the weight of the K-5 remarkably well...almost feels like Pentax designed the two to be used together.
04-05-2012, 04:06 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
I carry my K-5 almost religiously - Though the times I manage to forget it are when the best photo ops come up it seems...(Like the double rainbow, over the river while there were no cars on the bridge, and the sky around me was crystal clear...)
Exactly the same for me. It's like the times that I don't want to take photos are the best opportunities, and forgetting the camera is a way to ensure something interesting will drop in front of my view.
04-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #60
Forum Member

On the same note as icywindow - not having my camera available is one way of making any photogenic species of (choose your own) bird/mammal/reptile show themselves at close quarters. And it only takes having the camera on the back seat of the car when I'm driving - do you find that these creatures can read your mind as you reach for the camera and run/fly away just as you get it into your hand?