Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have a DSLR with you all the time?

I am seeing more photographic opportunities while I am working but don't have a DSLR with me. Let me briefly explain......

I travel from Pennsylvania to Ohio for my work doing a US Mail contract. Although I don't have any time to stop to take pics, I have down time in Ohio. I am in/near a big city which doesn't appeal to me, and can't travel around while I am there. But as I progress with my photographic abilities, I am now "seeing" image taking opportunities all around me. I have a P&S with me all the time, but never grab it to shoot anything since I am so used to using my DSLR (K-5).

I just won't take my K-5 with me on a trip - don't know exactly why, but that is my baby and don't want anything to happen to it. I also have a K-x at home which my wife uses when I am away (sorry - the K-5 is mine mine mine!). So now I am thinking of getting a 3rd body - probably another K-x or K-r to have with me when I am working. I am thinking of possibly just putting an 18-135 on it and call it good. But, this is another "investment" of $700 or so - trying to come to grips with if it is worth it to me or not.

So the questions comes to mind while thinking about this: How many of you have a DSLR with you at all times?

03-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I carry my k-x and Tamron 70-200 everywhere
03-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I take mine with me every day. I originally bought a K-x then said "Man, I want something I can take with me everywhere!" so purchased the K20D to put in the car. After about a year, it is the only body I own and I'm happy with it. It's pretty inexpensive ($400 or less) and rugged. All very similar controls to the K-5 too. I got mine at 12k clicks, and I think I've put about 6k clicks of my own on it. Still going strong (crossing fingers).
03-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a bit like you in that I almost always carry a PnS with me. It's there to grab those random shots I might encounter at any time. But the DSLR usually only goes when I *know* I'll be using it, and have something somewhat specific in mind. I guess I don't like the idea of the DSLR bouncing around in the car unnecessarily.

03-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Forum Member

I bought a murse-ish camera bag solely so I could always have my K-x by my side, because you never know.
03-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

take the K-5 along and take more picture, a camera is not HAPPY sitting in a glass case on a shelf not being used.
03-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photography is difficult if a camera isn't at hand.

My K20D and its usual minimal-plus kit are in my Ameribag constantly; that's in the car when I'm driving (with the camera on the dashboard) or slung over my shoulder when I'm walking. A P&S is always in my pocket when I'm outside my home -- a thin camera (Olympus 770-SW) if I'm looking dressy, a fatter one (Sony DSC-V1) otherwise.

Film cameras are sometimes along for the ride. A small film P&S (Canon SS-80u) is handy in case of untoward events that need to be documented legally, or if I just want to burn film. I'll also have a FF film SLR (ZX-M usually) with me if I feel like exploiting wider primes.

I was never a Boy Scout but I try to Be Prepared.

03-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My K-x goes where ever I go. I'm lucky that my car has an actual trunk so I hide it there in its bag along with three lenses until I've carried out my other business.
03-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I carry my K-7 with the DA35 2.4 almost everywhere everyday. Most of the days I don't even take a shot, but it is with me.
03-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies so far!

QuoteOriginally posted by tcbubbleleo Quote
take the K-5 along and take more picture, a camera is not HAPPY sitting in a glass case on a shelf not being used.
This hit home for me - why am I not taking the K-5 with me? What am I afraid of?

I was just settling down for the night with this on my mind, and it hit me after reading this. I have a very nice Kata 3N1-20 backpack/sling pack that I have never used. Also I always like to have my 9" tablet with me which will fit nicely in the top compartment. I bought this certain tablet especially since it has an integrated SD card slot for viewing my photos on the go. Then thinking about not wanting to take a bunch of lenses along all the time, it also hit me that me new DA* 60-250 is on it's way to me - what a perfect lens to have with me for a one lens solution.

That does it! I'm so glad I posted my quandary here - I often get tunnel vision about a lot of things with this being one of them. Once I get my K-5 back from CRIS I will be setting up the Kata bag with a nice travel kit.
03-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
This hit home for me - why am I not taking the K-5 with me? What am I afraid of?
Indeed, First and only DSLR is my K200d that I got refurb'd last july. Initially I never took it anywhere, now it's alwyas in my backpack or on my car seat or in my camera bag, but it's almost always with me.
03-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I started carrying a camera (no matter what it is) everywhere with me two years ago. I did this because I realized that you can't take a picture if you don't have a camera.
03-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have the K-x with a 28-105 on it pretty much every day. I use the K5 and lens assortment in a more premeditated way.
03-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I've always had my slr with me, be it back in the film days or now with the Dslrs, actually the car has quite an expensive rear storage unit in it to safely hold my gear, and I have had my more expensive lenses insured to travel with me out side the home so if anything did happen, they are covered.
03-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm experiencing the same with my DSLR as I did with my SLR in the 80s: it tends to stay at home. Not because I'm worried about damaging it but because it's too big and heavy and makes too big a number of the photography. So if I have something with me, it's either my Canon S90 or my Samsung NX10. So I'd definitely get something smaller than a K-x. But that's just my opinion.