Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I am seeing more photographic opportunities while I am working but don't have a DSLR with me. Let me briefly explain......

I travel from Pennsylvania to Ohio for my work doing a US Mail contract. Although I don't have any time to stop to take pics, I have down time in Ohio. I am in/near a big city which doesn't appeal to me, and can't travel around while I am there. But as I progress with my photographic abilities, I am now "seeing" image taking opportunities all around me. I have a P&S with me all the time, but never grab it to shoot anything since I am so used to using my DSLR (K-5).

I just won't take my K-5 with me on a trip - don't know exactly why, but that is my baby and don't want anything to happen to it. I also have a K-x at home which my wife uses when I am away (sorry - the K-5 is mine mine mine!). So now I am thinking of getting a 3rd body - probably another K-x or K-r to have with me when I am working. I am thinking of possibly just putting an 18-135 on it and call it good. But, this is another "investment" of $700 or so - trying to come to grips with if it is worth it to me or not.

So the questions comes to mind while thinking about this: How many of you have a DSLR with you at all times?
I don't carry a camera all the time, specifically when driving around home etc, but if I see a specific thing to photograph I will go and get my camera if possible.

When travelling for business, I almost always have a camera because photographic records of some investigations I do are part of the job, but I prefer a P&S to keep the weight down. Note however that my P&S is a bridge camera with electric viewfinder and which can work in full manual mode, and take lens attachments such as macro lenses. Aside from its age and deteriorating physical condition, it is avery good and capable technical camera. If I am overseas to attend meetings etc, or visit other factories, I will pack a DSLR and a few small primes, usually this means either my *istD or K10D, and a few short screw mounts or MF K mounts. I don't take either long or new, because if I have a mishap it is not one of my "babies" as you put it.

I generally use down time walking around taking photos,

03-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Canon Powershot A 590 that goes around with me. I just got my first DSLR this week. A K-5. I finally made the leap when I saw the lowered price. So far so good.
03-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #33
NKK
Inactive Account

In periods i have my camera with me all the time, at work, free time etc. But for the moment i actually have not had it with me, and when i think about it i lost some good oportunities in the old buildings of Copenhagen university the other day - as i only had my phone with me, and got some not so good pics but i think this is a good opportunity to actually start bringing it along again Thank you for the wake up call, and yes - you should bring the K5 and not leave it at home
03-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting input from everyone!

Well it's happened to me a few times in the past couple months - missed opportunities. My drive from home to where I get my truck is 42 miles of the most beautiful mountainous areas east of the Mississippi - in fact in that 42 miles I don't pass one store - just a couple of old bars along the way. My ride is through nothing but mountains and forest. A month ago while on my way to work, there were 2 huge bull elk standing in the middle of the river with a mist coming off the water. If I had my camera with me I could have afforded 5-10 minutes to get some shots.

What really made it set it for me was on my last trip to Ohio - I was parked on a service road behind a few businesses - I usually walk to a small restaurant for breakfast. As I was crossing an empty Wendy's parking lot (this is pretty much in the city), a lone Canada Goose was in the middle of the lot. As a walked closer, he was certainly guarding his territory or a nest nearby. I of course didn't get too close as he would certainly have kicked my butt, but such a great scene was this lone goose defending this empty parking lot. On my return from breakfast, he was still there, so I again gave him a wide berth. Then I saw it - the female on a nest only 5' from the edge of the road in an empty grass lot. Again, another great opportunity lost.

I've made my mind up to take my K-5 from now on. Thanks for all the encouragement!

03-29-2012, 07:30 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Cameras are to be ENJOYED!!! Have fun with yours. Here are a few I caught today because I had my camera with me.

03-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always carry something but it is never a dSLR. I still have to wear a suit and tie for work and carry a briefcase. A dSLR doesn't fit the business model. I'm trying the K-01 now - with the 40 pancake it works in the briefcase in a LoweAlpine backpacking sleeve. If not, an A40 or XA. For a while I carried an MESuper and M40 - but I sold them.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-30-2012 at 06:58 AM.
03-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #37
Veteran Member

@kkoether that second shot is so darn weird. Great work!

I don't carry my camera around all the time, but I only go to school. (I do bring it on special occasions.)

03-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I just won't take my K-5 with me on a trip - don't know exactly why, but that is my baby and don't want anything to happen to it.
Well, you know what they say: "The best way to avoid getting fungus is to keep using it." So, if you don't want anything bad to happen to your K5 and lenses that will include avoiding fungus too!

Seriously, I tried a P&S myself for exactly those moments you describe. I started seeying more and more oppertunities at moments when I was without camera. But the P&S didn't solve it for me. Yes I had pics, but knew they could have been MUCH better. Or I just couldn't do with the P&S what I couldn't have done with my k5. So it only got more frustrating.

Now the K5 with the DA40ltd is almost always with me. It's really compact too. Fits right in my jacket pocket.
03-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #39
Inactive Account

I ended up picking up a gently-used Lumix GF2 (M43) for that purpose. Small enough that it won't be a burden but enough IQ to make it better than a P&S.
03-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I almost always have one camera or another with me. it isn't always a dslr, sometimes it's a film slr, or a medium format or a rangefinder. Many days though nothing captures my interest unless i'm actively looking. Worst case even when i don't bring one of the above i have my crappy cell phone camera
03-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I ended up picking up a gently-used Lumix GF2 (M43) for that purpose. Small enough that it won't be a burden but enough IQ to make it better than a P&S.
That is an option I am going to look at also - an. m/43 Lumix. My P&S is a Lumix ZS7, and f[B]for a P&S it is a nice little camera. Also, I already have a k/m43 adapter that I could use on one of those. I might have to explore the m/43 world for a nice trip camera.

Thanks for the suggestion.
03-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
@kkoether that second shot is so darn weird. Great work!

I don't carry my camera around all the time, but I only go to school. (I do bring it on special occasions.)
That is a terrific shot, you should see the same one taken from a higher vantage point like a control tower - shooting straight across makes it even weirder!
03-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I did the same thing but am not as happy with it as I had hoped..........it just doesn't functionally (once the lens is attached) save any real space over the K-x IMHO.
03-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I did the same thing but am not as happy with it as I had hoped..........it just doesn't functionally (once the lens is attached) save any real space over the K-x IMHO.
Yeah. The old "Small body, big lens" vs. "Big body, small lens" debate. Like my K-01/DA40L in my briefcase.
03-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had my K-x on me all the time but now I no longer have it on me.........because now I have the K-5!!!!!
My wife now has the K-x on her at all times, especially since she is a newby at photography and loving it.

I do always have a camera on me, I usually have my Canon Elph P&S on me, that thing has been with me through thick and thin, at one time it was all I had(before I got my K-x) other than that I still have my Pentax Optio S5i 5 megapixel P&S and that thing still works just fine even though it got handed down to my ten year old daughter who take pictures of anything and everything, she just loves taking the pictures and loading them up on her computer.