Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always have my K-x with me. My luck usually goes when I don't, I get hit with a 'man, I wish I had my camera with me' moment.

04-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #62
Forum Member

one of the reasons i bought a micro 4/3 camera.
04-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #63
Veteran Member

I've taken to only taking my K-x and lenses out when I expect to be going somewhere to specifically take pictures...

However... I recently always pick up one of my 35mm-SLR's as I leave the house and keep spare films in all my jackets...
04-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I'll confess: After some annoying news this afternoon, I was distracted. I drove around the end of the Mule Mountains to the shopping center a couple miles from Mexico WITHOUT my K20D on board. Naturally, the Golden Hour light was stupendous -- all features on the Mules, and on the south-of-the-border mountains, were beautifully modeled. Tones were like I'd never seen before. And all I had with me was a teensy weensy Olympus P&S. [/me kicks self hard]

04-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And all I had with me was a teensy weensy Olympus P&S. [/me kicks self hard]
Did you get a shot?!
04-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You want to spend a few hundred bucks on a new body to make sure nothing will happen to your beloved K-5? I mean, the size/weight or your wife use is not the reason... Well, what I would do was insuring my K-5 for a few bucks a month and (carefully) take it with me. If anything ever happened to it, I would buy another one! At least as long as I did not own the last K-5 in the world, it seems to work, no?
04-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Did you get a shot?!
Alas...

04-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my daily mass-transit commute from the suburbs to downtown Philadelphia, I often have those "I wish I had a camera with me" moments. Yeah, my phone (Droid2D2) has a decent camera, but not great, and the lens nearly always has a fingerprint I forget to clean off.

So, I've thought about carrying my K-r (probably with a DA35/2.4L, A50/1.7 on it or A35-70/3.5-4.5), but since it's my only DSLR and this is Philadelphia we're talking about, I'm hesitant. I also have a Super Program that has already survived a few tumbles into grass, dirt and (once) concrete with no ill effects. It's so old that nobody would think of mugging me for it (I think).

My only concern is over the lifespan of film. Realistically, it'll probably take weeks if not months to fill a 24 exposure roll (that's what I have a supply of), and it was my understanding that the film would deteriorate over time, even if mounted in the camera. Is the weeks/months timespan I'm talking about short enough to avoid that deterioration? The film I have ready access to is Kodak Gold 200 and/or Ultra 400.

I guess I might start carrying it anyway, and just try to go through the film more quickly (if necessary) to avoid any deleterious effects time might have on it. I figure with a small A lens, it makes a small enough kit to stash in a coat pocket or the outer pouch on my backpack.
04-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I don't think the film will.. expire. After a few months in the camera it might not work as great as when brand new (depending on storage conditions), but it probably won't even be noticeable. I'd urge you to get a roll and test it. Shooting with film can be great fun and produce some great images.
04-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #70

generally,yes.If I don't have the 2000k,I have an Optio 12,which works very well .
04-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #71
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wedge Quote
My only concern is over the lifespan of film. Realistically, it'll probably take weeks if not months to fill a 24 exposure roll (that's what I have a supply of), and it was my understanding that the film would deteriorate over time, even if mounted in the camera. Is the weeks/months timespan I'm talking about short enough to avoid that deterioration? The film I have ready access to is Kodak Gold 200 and/or Ultra 400. I guess I might start carrying it anyway, and just try to go through the film more quickly (if necessary) to avoid any deleterious effects time might have on it.

As long as care is kept to keep the film (and a loaded camera body) out of extreme temps one should not really visually notice much of a difference - even over a few months. Just as long as it isn't kept in a place such as a car on a hot summer day and also one wouldn't leave the film in direct sunlight for many hours - then it should be fine.

I've carried film and cameras on extended long range backpacking trips through dessert enviroments - and all non professional film held up quite well
04-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I have an Optio 90W... you never have an excuse to miss a shot. Fits in a pant or shirt pocket, 12 MP, waterproof and shock proof. Surprising IQ in good light (always disappointing in low light.) There is just no excuse not to have it with you.
04-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wedge Quote
So, I've thought about carrying my K-r (probably with a DA35/2.4L, A50/1.7 on it or A35-70/3.5-4.5), but since it's my only DSLR and this is Philadelphia we're talking about, I'm hesitant. I also have a Super Program that has already survived a few tumbles into grass, dirt and (once) concrete with no ill effects. It's so old that nobody would think of mugging me for it (I think).
I live in the middle of Bradford in the UK... It's a northern city with a reputation for rioting and violence... But I grew up here and very rarely get into any...
I think the way you carry yourself in rougher areas can seriously affect whether you'll see any bother... If you walk like a victim; you will be victimised (I've seen this...) but if you walk like you're at home people (and by this I mean those who tend to prey on victims) will treat you as such... Confidence does a lot for you... (Although over-confidence or cockiness can get you a kicking...)

That said... I've actually received more attention (either simply intrigued or impressed) when carrying 35mm cameras than my K-x although I don't bag up my 35mils' (long strap - slung cross-body)... The corner-boys in my neighbourhood (split 50/50 between students, Pakistani and a growing Polish community) all know me as 'camera guy' and as the city is my home I feel no fear in roaming where I want...

If it really worries you, get good comprensive insurrance on your photo gear so that if bother comes along you can hand the thing over; file a police report and get an upgraded replacement...

Round here - they're more likely to go for your phone than your camera anyway as it's much easier to sell for a bag of smack...
04-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I think the way you carry yourself in rougher areas can seriously affect whether you'll see any bother... If you walk like a victim; you will be victimised (I've seen this...) but if you walk like you're at home people (and by this I mean those who tend to prey on victims) will treat you as such... Confidence does a lot for you... (Although over-confidence or cockiness can get you a kicking...)

Round here - they're more likely to go for your phone than your camera anyway as it's much easier to sell for a bag of smack...
I have to agree with this. While most of Toronto isn't as tough as Bradford there are areas. I frequently wander through an area downtown that has the running joke of being the last stop for the bus from the penitentiary. lots of fresh out of jail tough guys, crack dealers and hookers. I've gone through there at all times of day and night with my gear (more frequently actually at 3 am because they have a good all night indian i like to hit on the way home from a night of shooting events ) never had an issue, but i don't go looking for one either
04-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #75
Inactive Account

I do not seek. I find.

"I do not seek. I find." Picasso

In short, no, I do not carry a camera with me at all times for the sake a being prepared for a once in a lifetime moment. I don't really use a camera for that purpose, nor do I think would a skilled craftsman carry their tools around, just in case...