Which Photo Post Processing software?

Just wondering which software you use to PP photos. I have a copy of
PaintShop Pro 9, but it doesn't seem to recognize either of the RAW
formats (PEF or DNG).

There has been an update or two to PS Pro, but I'm not sure it supports those
formats. Plus, it took a while to learn that product. I'm sure anything else
will have a learning curve.

I tried the Photo Laboratory that came with the K10D. It seems that it might
be OK for a few things, just not very full featured.

Which product do you use? Does it support PEF or DNG?

Thanks!

12-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spillway Quote
Just wondering which software you use to PP photos. I have a copy of
PaintShop Pro 9, but it doesn't seem to recognize either of the RAW
formats (PEF or DNG).

There has been an update or two to PS Pro, but I'm not sure it supports those
formats. Plus, it took a while to learn that product. I'm sure anything else
will have a learning curve.

I tried the Photo Laboratory that came with the K10D. It seems that it might
be OK for a few things, just not very full featured.

Which product do you use? Does it support PEF or DNG?

Thanks!
I use only Photoshop CS2. It supports DNG (this file format is produced by Adobe) the support for the k10 pef will be coming soon.
I use the DNG in CS2, and haven't had any issues.

I have no idea what PSP supports, as I gave that up in version 7 in favour of PS. Yes, PS has a learning curve, but it is worth it. there are more tutorials, help files, etc then all other PP software combined.

If you think PS is to big of a step for you, then buy Photoshop elements 5. It does have some raw support (the same as CS2) but not as many controls. It is basic adjustments in the raw support, but they are the ones you will use 80% of the time.
PSE 5 has a great photo organizer. we have PSE 4 just for the organizer, and drag and drop the photos from there into PSCS2 for editing.

hope this helps

randy
12-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Spillway. I use Photoshop Elements. Currently version 5 is out and it supports both DNG and PEF for the DS. I do not know about either the K100D or the K10D, I don't own either camera. PSE does a great job for me. It is a full featured as I could want and there is a plethora of books, tutorials etc avaliable for learning how to get the best out of it. The full blown Photoshop is both too expensive and too...er....professional for me. I would hardly ever use 60% of what is available in PS.

NaCl(and I'd rather spend $600 on lenses)H2O
12-27-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Spillway. I use Photoshop Elements. Currently version 5 is out and it supports both DNG and PEF for the DS. I do not know about either the K100D or the K10D, I don't own either camera. PSE does a great job for me. It is a full featured as I could want and there is a plethora of books, tutorials etc avaliable for learning how to get the best out of it. The full blown Photoshop is both too expensive and too...er....professional for me. I would hardly ever use 60% of what is available in PS.

NaCl(and I'd rather spend $600 on lenses)H2O

Good point, NaCIH20

the other thing is, if you want to eventually get the full photoshop, the transition from photoshop elements to photoshop is much easier

12-27-2006, 08:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

paint shop pro 9 is not the latest version.. i think its up to eleven now..

i use psp 9 and dont shoot much raw.. i use irfanview as a basic viewer and editor with psp 9 linked as its external editor.. i dont like photoshop even thow it is the industry standard..

trog
12-27-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I was just reading that paintshop pro 11 has raw support for over 40 different cameras..... but I could find the list of cameras

randy
12-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try Biddle

Hi Spillway,

I think I've tried them all. The new biddle 4.9x supports both DNG and PEF. It's in Beta right now and you can download it at support.bibblelabs.com :: View topic - Bibblx Pro 4.9x(mas) posted for public testing.

IMO this is the best I've tried and the price is $130 when it comes out of beta.
A good freebee is UFraw

Regards,
Ken

12-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I completely separate the Conversion process from the Post Processing process. No matter what RAW converter I have used (Rawshooter in the past for example) I always go through the pictures, weed the bad ones out, make a few adjustments with white balance, hot pix removal, a bit sharpening or color adjustments, Noise reduction etc and then I batch convert them all together and save them as TIFF.

After that any decent Photo software will do the job for stuff like cropping, straightening, USM, levels, framing, making a signature, ....

PSP, Ulead Photo Impact, Photo Shop Elements etc
12-27-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Tried PS Elements and it was OK but am using PS CS2 as I desire more capability. I do quite a bit of 'playing' that I could not do with element.
12-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Take a look at a program called Picture Window Pro (Google it to find). It's very complete and much more intuitive than Photoshop; not to mention much cheaper. It's designed for photographers so you are not paying for a million things that you will never use. You can download a fully functional trial and give it shot.
12-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

I just downloaded the PSP XI trial. It says it supports DNG, but they just show up
as a black image???

I'm going to try PS Elements next, and then Biddle & others. PS CS2 is probably more than I want to spend right now.
12-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I am and have been using PSP for the past two years. But like other use something else for the RAw conversion. Bouncing around trying to find a good fit for me RAW processor. Love the easy to use RSE. but when and if I get the K10 that will be useless. So I have been toying with Silky for a while. May try something else next week. Who knows. Good luck in your search.
01-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by spillway Quote
Thanks everyone!

I just downloaded the PSP XI trial. It says it supports DNG, but they just show up
as a black image???

I'm going to try PS Elements next, and then Biddle & others. PS CS2 is probably more than I want to spend right now.
I have the same problem with PSP XI.
I now have a few dng files I cant open. I cant find any help with PSP on this.
01-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Try Bibble you can download a free trial that supports the K10d here:

support.bibblelabs.com :: View topic - Bibblx Pro 4.9x(mas) posted for public testing.

I think the final release with K10d support should be soon..
01-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I only started shooting RAW only a couple weeks ago. I've found that Photo Laboratory 3 does all I really need, though I can see why some people think it is clunky. I did try out Bibble based on recommendations, though honestly, I can't see using the extra features as I'm not interested in infinite tweaks.

The test shots below are Bibble on the left, PL on the right and a reference shot on top. The only adjustment was sliding the highlight triangle down to lighten the images a bit, and the center one was about 2 stops under, which accounts for the extra grain. If there is another step required in Bibble to produce as good a result as with PL, then I'd need to double my workload...

For my current needs, PL is fine.

Rats - I reviewed some lens with sample pix and have no upload space left. You can find it my Photobucket "Test" directory for now.