Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Isnt magnication based only on focal length? I am getting a little bit confused.
Adding a Raynox turns your lens into a compound lens, with a different focal length than the original lens and a reduced minimum focus distance. A compound lens acts ike any other lens, magnification of the subject increases as you get closer.

Try this simple test. Put the camera in manual focus mode, mount the Raynox on the lens, set the lens for infinity focus and move the camera until the subject is in focus. Now, without changing anything, turn the focus ring to minimum focus distance. The subject will blur. Move the camera slightly closer to the subject until you find focus. You will not have moved much, but you will see a significant change in magnification.

With a long lens like the Tamron 70-300mm and Raynox 150, I would not normally bother with the macro zone. I set the lens to infinity focus and vary the magnification with the zoom ring. That will allow you go from about 1:3 to over 1.4:1 which is an immense range and well beyond the 1:1 of a normal macro lens. For extreme macro, I would set the lens to macro zone and minimum focus distance, for maximum magnification.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-25-2012 at 12:27 PM.