Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My K10 died.

And I phoned around for quotes to get it repaired, with mixed results.

I believe the problem is the aperture actuating mechanism has seized - and the motor / actuator is still functioning. When I press the shutter release button I hear a short burst of horrible grinding noises followed by a heavy click, and nothing happens. The aperture lever in the lens mount is absolutely solid.

The first place I called was Asahi Photo Ltd, where I got good advice, good customer service and a ball park quote that sounds OK.

Then I called another place that claim to be one of Pentax's main repair agents, and I got asked "what lenses do you use?" when I told him I mainly use M42 lenses I got a lecture on how they probably caused the problem ! Which seems to fly in the face of of the official party line from Pentax who on their up to date web site tell you how to use M42 lenses and offer to sell you the adapter. So Harrow Technical will not be getting my K10 for repair. If that's the level of their knowledge and customer service, they don't deserve the business.

03-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Then I called another place that claim to be one of Pentax's main repair agents, and I got asked "what lenses do you use?" when I told him I mainly use M42 lenses I got a lecture on how they probably caused the problem ! Which seems to fly in the face of of the official party line from Pentax who on their up to date web site tell you how to use M42 lenses and offer to sell you the adapter. So Harrow Technical will not be getting my K10 for repair. If that's the level of their knowledge and customer service, they don't deserve the business.
Wow, that's lame.

Maybe you should fire off an email to Pentax and let them know that one of their "agents" is behaving thus.

Sorry about your K10D.
03-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lloydy - you know that this is an absolutely fantastic excuse to purchase a K-5. Especially before the end of the month when the price special finishes.

The cost of your repair is part of the way to your new K-5. I am having no issues with M42 lenses on my K-5 - meter and shoot perfectly.

Ross
03-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Exactly what I was thinking Ross. I placed my order yesterday, Tuesday isn't coming soon enough!

03-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Sorry about your K10D. I keep thinking that mine is probably coming up to the end of its service life as well. As for the repair guy...he obviously knows nothing about adapted lenses!

Steve
04-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I had the lens release pin mechanism fail, which also caused the AF screw drive to remain recessed. I had already installed a split image finder, so it now also perminantly hosts one of my M42 adaptors

If the shutter still works feel using it
04-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sell it in the marketplace, I would personally love to get my hands on it and tear into it. Its probably something rather obvious once the covers are off.
04-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it's dead, the repair guy hasn't tore it to bits yet but he says the noises it's making sound terminal. He'll give me the details and a quote after the Easter holiday.

So, what next ? I think a good K20 is on the top of the list.

04-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If its a mechanical problem and the sensor is still good it has significant parts value to someone competent enough to rebuild it or use it to fix another. Most cameras are only junk due to labor costs.

The K20D is the perfect choice right now as they give the most performance for the low price they currently sell for. If you get one online make sure you get it from somewhere that allows returns and then test the hell out of it with a lot of pixel peeping of pictures, mine came with a small dead sensor spot way off to one side and no returns, thankfully its almost impossible to see when you aren't zoomed in and super easy to PP out when its visible.
Also dunno what you have now, but get a really good brand 16gb class 10 memory card, they are really cheap, fast enough to keep up with everything, and so huge you can shoot raw and never need to take it out of the camera to switch it (just plug camera in after a days shooting to unload). A lot of picture problems seem to come from cheap cards.
04-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
mine came with a small dead sensor spot way off to one side
Isn't there a sensor mapping function to kill this off - check the manual -I am sure its there in the menus someplace. Yup just checked p3 of the 'setup' menu near the bottom. 5 second job with full battery.
Pentax Rocks.
04-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Did the pixel mapping when I first got it to turn it from a super bright white spot to a small dark smear. It didn't fix it, now it just smudges the pixels next to it on top of it which only most of the time hides it. Individual pixels it can cover but this is too many in a clump. I've seen a few other K20D pics on the net with this same dead white spot. Sensor is clean and perfect even under well lit magnification so its not dust or damage.
So just check for these things when you buy one. Funny thing is that it was intermittent but there most of the time when I first got it, now its permanent thanks to the pixel mapping but a lot harder harder to see.
04-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Inactive Account

You might want to wait a week and a half or so the K-5 may drop in price, also they are on back-order at the P Store (cleaning out stock???) ,,,,, something f/f unny happened yesterday P/Hoy pulled the Betas from the testers.