Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #1

optical preview question

the optical preview in my k10d doesn't seem to work, i think i have already set the proper setting in C but i still can't preview in the viewfinder. or maybe i'm mislead by the term "preview," would the optical preview actually temporarily capture and allow me to examine the composition? because every time i try to use it, it just disables the other camera functions, pls. help. thanks.

01-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nope, it's doing the right thing. It stops down the lens so you can preview the depth of field, instead of taking a shot to preview on the LCD. You can't preview the exposure using the optical preview.

But hey, it's what we film users have been doing for decades. I prefer it, personally.
01-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
and
Veteran Member

The preview can be set to capture a temporary image and display that on the lcd screen instead of doing an optical preview also.
01-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

you may not have stopped down the lens to see any effect. Normally you'd ensure the lens is stopped down to the desired taking aperture and then preview the DOF. The viewfinder will go darker and it can take awhile for your eye to adjust and even then you may not be able to see what your looking for, it takes a bit of practice but can be very useful.

01-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
jag

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
The preview can be set to capture a temporary image and display that on the lcd screen instead of doing an optical preview also.
yup, that i can do, but i also prefer optical preview coz that can make me work faster, thanks!
01-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
jag

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
you may not have stopped down the lens to see any effect. Normally you'd ensure the lens is stopped down to the desired taking aperture and then preview the DOF. The viewfinder will go darker and it can take awhile for your eye to adjust and even then you may not be able to see what your looking for, it takes a bit of practice but can be very useful.
yup, i think it would definitely be useful, thanks, i'd try to practice with it when i get home, btw, a bit OT, can one make a decent bokeh with the kit lens?
01-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jag Quote
yup, i think it would definitely be useful, thanks, i'd try to practice with it when i get home, btw, a bit OT, can one make a decent bokeh with the kit lens?
There are many threads on the relative merits of the kit lens. You might try a search on it.