Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
One of the software programs I use is the free Irfanview, which, as I found out yesterday when I downloaded the lastest version, you can set to work with RAW images (at least I think that's what I saw). While it's a pretty basic program, it usually does what I need. I also have GIMP, which you can either use as a "simple" photo program or as an advanced one. Haven't checked to see if it "does" RAW.

Anybody know if either of these two works with RAW images? If not, I'll try Darktable.

Thanks to everyone who has responded--I knew I could get great help here! Please, keep the feedback coming!

04-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ditto ..

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
... There were many reasons for my upgrade from the K100. Things will be both familiar and different. The largest change is the two wheels - along with the additional controls on the back of the camera. They all make things much easier.

A bit of reading and playing with the unit and it will all fall into place.

One thing that you will find different is the reporting on the rear screen. It was new and different to me and it works great.

I think that you will transition easily to the K7....
Bonjour,

Agreed with the above and that things will be both familiar and different. I went from a K110D to a K-r then to a (used) K-7 and now a new K-5.

As far as literature, I would suggest "Magic Lantern Guides - Pentax K-7 - by Peter Burian" ... it was good for me and there should be some used ones around if it's no longer in print ... obviously, check the usual suspects ... amazon, e-bay & co.

The learning curve may seem steep at times, but it's not really ... just go at your own pace and needs.

Allez et bon courage, John le Frog
04-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You just need to UFRaw plugin to open RAW with GIMP I think.
04-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How did you customarily shoot with your previous camera?

It should not be too taxing to translate your favorite shooting modes to the K-7. Really, it's not intimidating at all, unless you feel compelled to try and comprehend ALL the features before you shoot (guilty).

Now I realize that what I should have done is figure out what menu settings were necessary to shoot the way I wanted to start. Then, with that set up, dial up P mode and start clicking the button.

I wrestled for a long time whether I needed to go as high-end as the K-7 in my very first DSLR, and I found that I was absolutely right about needing two dials! It's really pretty wonderfully simple, what I did was go through just about every mode and set aperture to the front dial, shutter speed to the rear. Of course for a few modes that doesn't make sense, but I was surprised at how a consistent control setup like that facilitated my learning. And P mode is your best friend ever, every shot can start (or the green button can set it to) a reasonable aperture/speed combo, and then you can just wonk on it from there.

I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of shooting in RAW with the K-7, at least if you're picky about tonal range and such. I primarily use iPhoto for most snaps and Photoshop's default RAW plugin for "serious" work, but have had excellent results with UFRaw and the GIMP, too.