Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #1

K-x low continuous shooting framerate issue

Dear Pentaxforums users,
I'm Nathan, I have an issue with my Pentax lens, which also affects my Pentax Kx.
The continuous shooting function stops working after 3 shots(regardless of what mode it is in) when using DA-L AF 18-55mm lens, where as with a manual focus it works fine!
Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

04-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Disable in-camera processing, including lens correction and shadow/highlight correction.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
But the thing is though, all of those options are switched off..
04-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rookie01 Quote
But the thing is though, all of those options are switched off..
As Adam indicated, kill off all in-camera PP incl. High-ISO NR, ...... All.

Another point is you card. What class? The faster the card, the better....

04-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Are you shooting RAW or Jpeg, and what type of card do you use?
04-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Are you shooting RAW or Jpeg, and what type of card do you use?
Most of the time, I shoot in RAW (Adobe DNG, not Pentax's .PEF raw). But when I want to utilise the fast continuous shooting speed (usually not using the 18-55), I shoot in JPEG.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
As Adam indicated, kill off all in-camera PP incl. High-ISO NR, ...... All.

Another point is you card. What class? The faster the card, the better....
I am using a Sandisk Ultra Class 6 (30mb/s) 16GB SDHC card. I am getting a Sandisk Ultra Class 10 (45mb/s) 32GB in the coming days.

There are some PP that I can't find... I know some are in the INFO menu, but others are in the actual settings (the part with all the 1's and 2's)
04-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It stops? or slows down?

I know that on my k-x when I was using a class 4 card, I never even got to 5fps (or whatever the limit is). It needed a class 10 card for that.
04-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #8

Original Poster
It abruptly stops, then takes a photo every 3 - 4 seconds.
It's weird though, on my other lenses, I can take up to 17 photos (within 6 sec) and then the buffer kicks in, but with the 18-55, it comes just after 3 photos (yet HDR has been turned off..)

04-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It abruptly stops, then takes a photo every 3 - 4 seconds.
It's weird though, on my other lenses, I can take up to 17 photos (within 6 sec) and then the buffer kicks in, but with the 18-55, it comes just after 3 photos (yet HDR has been turned off..)

That sounds like a buffer issue, possibly coupled with a slow memory card. Every dslr has an internal buffer for storing images before they are written to the memory card. I believe that the buffer capacity of the K-x is about 3-4 images. When the buffer fills, the camera must wait until one of the images is successfully written to the card, before another image can be taken.

The higher-end Pentax cameras have larger buffers. I believe the K-5 can hold 8-10 images. On my K10D, I think the capacity is about 7-8 images. After that, it does exactly what yours does; it slows dramatically, taking about one image per second.

In my experimentation with my K10D, it seems that the time to convert from RAW (either PEF or DNG) to JPEG is less than the time it takes to write to the card. That means that the slowing occurs after only three or four RAW images, but 7 or 8 JPEGs. Shooting more hightly compressed jpegs, or smaller resolution might help the speed.

You could try that as an experiment. Set the camera to shoot 2M, one-star jpeg images and see if the performance improves at all.

You can't do anything about the buffer capacity, that's hardware, but you can buy a faster card. It won't eliminate the problem, but it may improve it somewhat.
04-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buffer issue shouldn't really change from lens to lens though - unless he has some in-camera correction happening based on the lens.

Rookie, what other lenses have you used? Doing 3 shots then slowing down to 1 every 4 seconds seems very off. Even on continuous burst for my old class 4 card, it wouldn't slow to 1 every 4 seconds. And I was shooting RAW.
04-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It sounds exactly like either distortion correction or lat.chrom.aberration correction is enabled:
- Only slows down with a DA lens - check.
- Buffer reduced to 3 shots - check.

But the OP already said they're both disabled, so I've got nothing.

Regards,
--Anders.
04-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

The fact that the camera response varies with lenses might suggest that hi continuous shooitng works OK with fast lenses but not with the slower kit lens. This might be a High-ISO noise reduction PP. Please check that High-ISO NR is off. (I had a similar pb!)

Last edited by hcc; 04-03-2012 at 01:27 PM.