Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Finding the IR filter?

Was told Pentax has a built in IR filter to give the IR effect. I looked all over my K2000 and could not find it. Which models does it come in? I only have the *ist, D2000 and K-x's.

Thanks

Last edited by slackercruster; 04-03-2012 at 08:15 AM.
04-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K2000 doesn't have that feature (neither did my K10) no sure when it came along but i would guess at K7/Kx time frame

So you will have to do it in post (LR does it pretty well. DXO has a film pack add on that also can be effective and emulate specific IR films
Like the K7 etc all these are B/W IR imitators. the only way to do colour IR is with a camera with the IR cut filter removed and replaced with either a 720nm or so filter or a clear glass filter that allows you to use an external filter
the other alternative is to shoot true IR on film. Given the cost of a conversion on a DSLR and the difficulty finding someone who does it for Pentax DSLR this is the low cost alternative. Pick up a $20 body and a $30 28mm lens, but a matching Hoya R72 and pick up some ilford, Rollei or Efke IR film and go to it. max cost for your first roll is about $100 give or take versus $500 or so (plus body) for the digital alternative
Unfortunately Colour IR film is no longer available. there was a guy rolling it from aerial stock but he has sold all his stock now

If you shoot enough that you decide it's something worth investing in then you can send the k2000 off for conversion when you move to your next body (or buy one already converted from ebay or the forum when they come up)

Last edited by eddie1960; 04-03-2012 at 06:27 AM.
04-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

With the Kx, while looking at the picture, press "down" on the dpad, this should display the digital filter selection menu, then select monochrome (I think that is what it is labeled) and from there select "IR" for that particular filter...
04-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter

filter is the Pain in the A to use, need tripod nstuff for long exposure (about 20 sec on a bright sunny day) then you need to change the colors in the PS; using a converted camera is much easier: just shoot like normal. (although I still used the Hoya R72 filter myself, only 1 camera body you know

04-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tcbubbleleo Quote
filter is the Pain in the A to use, need tripod nstuff for long exposure (about 20 sec on a bright sunny day) then you need to change the colors in the PS; using a converted camera is much easier: just shoot like normal. (although I still used the Hoya R72 filter myself, only 1 camera body you know
lol - he's talking about the digital filter from the cameras software...
04-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
lol - he's talking about the digital filter from the cameras software...
yeah, I was looking at the 2nd part of Eddie's comment
04-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tcbubbleleo Quote
yeah, I was looking at the 2nd part of Eddie's comment
Realistically if you are going to replace the cut filter with clear glass it only makes sense if you want the camera to be used for both IR photography and UV photography. But the UV stuff requires special lenses as well
Fro straight IR the true conversions make sense (though I'm fine with Film myself not as simple given the exposure factor (400 iso roleie needs to be exposed at ev 4-7 so usually a tripod is involved particularly if you want to shoot with large DOF
In the late afternoon or early morning where IR is more prevalent you are looking at an f 11 exposure time of probably 20-30 seconds though you may get away with as little as couple of seconds depending on time of year and day and where you are on earth
04-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't have time to do an IR rant right now, I'm about to leave for the day, off to the border again. But in brief: Digital IR filters suck. IR wavelengths contain information that visible light doesn't, and that info can't be faked. Either the camera captures it or it doesn't.

Beyond that, search for all the other IR threads here to learn about filters, exposures, conversions, etc. Have fun!