Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
pixelsaurus - I'm curious about that little photo you posted in this thread. I'll take a guess: Comet McNaught about a year ago?

01-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Of the 3, D has the best layout but also the oldest, meaning some later models simply outperforms it. My favour is the DS which has the best balance in features & performance. DS2 is nice too but consider it is never popular, getting the parts in the future could be difficult. DL has smaller buffer than the already small DS so I don't really recommend it, if you can find the DS.
01-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's gonna be a long time before the new K20D hits the market for sale ,
and I didn't realize the super was only $450 ,,,,, so ,,,, that's probably what I'll buy ,,, and get the K20D after some buds are worked out , and the reviews too , oh yes , the reviews ,, what will they say

Thank you all for participating

J
01-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Now , I find the K10D at Broadway for $519 , with rebate , I hate rebates , but $519 ?

Hmmmm what to do ??

01-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jesus Quote
Now , I find the K10D at Broadway for $519 , with rebate , I hate rebates , but $519 ?

Hmmmm what to do ??
I'm not saying that's not a good deal, but...you might want to look here first.
01-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jesus Quote

Hmmmm what to do ??
read reviews of that seller

Broadway Photo / A&M Photo World, Regal Camera, Prestige Camera, Preferred Photo, Royal Camera, more Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings
01-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

"Jesus", the best reliable deal as of today
is K10D body for "$609- $25 shop.com coupon "win25" - 100 pentax rebate = $484" (free shipping)
and buy kit 18-55mm elsewhere, may be on ebay.com - may be here in For Sale section.

01-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Own the K10D, and DS. Have shot with Dl and D. Overall the Dl would be my last choice. Its only claim to fame is the 2.5" screen. The viewfinder is smaller than the other cameras. The Dl isn't made as well as DS. The real horse race comes down between the DS and D.
pros DS
faster shooting, faster clearing of buffer (D is really showing its age here - especially using raw.). Bigger lcd screen. Some menu settings easier. D has very small, resolution, white balance settings on top lcd. DS uses SD card like all other Pentax dslr. DS seems to need less work on jpegs than D.

pros D
Better built. More solid and more precision. The quietness! So much less mirror slap sound than any other Pentax dslr. twin control dials. Portrait grip. This allows twice the batteries for twice the shots and nice twin controls. Love the vertical release. More comfortable to hold with grip than DS. DS cuts into hand more. D without grip is closer to call. With grip D feels like small K10D/grip. Really nice.

Like both. Like K10D better than either. Keeping DS as back up for K10D. Not sure what will happen if the K20D arrives.
thanks
barondla
01-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
pixelsaurus - I'm curious about that little photo you posted in this thread. I'll take a guess: Comet McNaught about a year ago?
It is indeed. It was shot outside Auckland NZ end of January 2007 on my *ist DS, 30 secs @18mm,f4.5,3200 ISO. Just found the dark frames I shot on that night so hoping to clean it up and repost. Cheers.
01-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I can't seem to find a DS Pro anywhere , is there one ???
Or is it just a "DS" and you added the "Pro" thing ???

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Own the K10D, and DS. Have shot with Dl and D. Overall the Dl would be my last choice. Its only claim to fame is the 2.5" screen. The viewfinder is smaller than the other cameras. The Dl isn't made as well as DS. The real horse race comes down between the DS and D.
pros DS
faster shooting, faster clearing of buffer (D is really showing its age here - especially using raw.). Bigger lcd screen. Some menu settings easier. D has very small, resolution, white balance settings on top lcd. DS uses SD card like all other Pentax dslr. DS seems to need less work on jpegs than D.

pros D
Better built. More solid and more precision. The quietness! So much less mirror slap sound than any other Pentax dslr. twin control dials. Portrait grip. This allows twice the batteries for twice the shots and nice twin controls. Love the vertical release. More comfortable to hold with grip than DS. DS cuts into hand more. D without grip is closer to call. With grip D feels like small K10D/grip. Really nice.

Like both. Like K10D better than either. Keeping DS as back up for K10D. Not sure what will happen if the K20D arrives.
thanks
barondla
01-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is only the DS & DS2. The "pro" was added by me to list the advantages of each camera. Pros and cons. Sorry for the confusion. Be hard to find the DS new it has been out of production for a few years. Would buy the DS2 if possible instead of DS. Love that big lcd screen. Might want to wait a couple weeks and see what is coming out. Do love my K10D the most.
thanks
barondla
01-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
It is indeed. It was shot outside Auckland NZ end of January 2007 on my *ist DS,
The Southern Hemisphere was the better place to be for that comet, McNaught is from Australia. I was outside one evening in Connecticut hoping to catch a photo with my K110D just after sunset but had clouds just above the horizon. A local friend did get a photo of the spectacular fanned tail but he's not a Pentaxian.