Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

ist D DL DS

If you were buying one of the ist models , what would be your choice ?
I have the opportunity to buy any one of these , this is why I am asking y'alls opinion

I lean towards the DL .

Thank you for your help

01-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jesus Quote
I have the opportunity to buy any one of these , this is why I am asking y'alls opinion

I lean towards the DL .

Thank you for your help
I like the *istD, because from a controls point it is the same as the K10D, and it is the best camera in terms of using TTL flash, and K mount lenses and metering.

Yes it is a little slower than the rest, uses CF cards, not SD cards, has a very small screne, but if you are looking at a second body to go with your K10D, the *isdD is it.

The DL does not have TTL flash AT ALL, the D and DS do, and if you do flash photography at all, and want to use K mount (non KA) lenses, you can't except for "auto" which uses a sensor on the flash.
01-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for your response ,
However , I do not do any flash work .
So , I don't care about the flash.

J
01-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for your response ,
However , I do not do any flash work .
So , I don't care about the flash.

J
YET

Good Luck.

01-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

I know it's not the right reason but: I like DL's double colour version. The one with silver top plate and lens mount... I wish K100D was coming like that.

Anyway. Out of those three, depends on what you already have (or don't have). If you own K10D go for istD. Similar layout and so on. If you have K100/110D I'd go with DS as a second body. It sports the same AF and you get advantage of having body with TTL flash system. If you don't care about anything above, and you don't mind only 3 (5 in DL2) AF points, go for DL in silver/black version. It's the nicest
01-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I know it's not the right reason but: I like DL's double colour version. The one with silver top plate and lens mount... I wish K100D was coming like that.

Anyway. Out of those three, depends on what you already have (or don't have). If you own K10D go for istD. Similar layout and so on. If you have K100/110D I'd go with DS as a second body. It sports the same AF and you get advantage of having body with TTL flash system. If you don't care about anything above, and you don't mind only 3 (5 in DL2) AF points, go for DL in silver/black version. It's the nicest
Given the points you bring out, I would agree with this. As I said, the biggest issue is the TTL flash, and older lenses.

My approach is to always have a second body that does something different than the first.

This goes all the way back to my film days.

My first camera was a Ricoh XR2s. It was a good camera, but my second was a KX.
Why?
1) because it had a mechanically timed shutter, and only needed batteries for the internal metering
2) because the one I bought had a simple ground glass viewing screne, which did not go dark with long (or slow) lenses, like a split image did.

The two bodies worked in tandum, with fast film in the KX (low light and long lenses) and slow film in the XR2s.

A second body should always give you something different, so you can expand your horizons
01-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Jesus, my first DSLR camera was the ist dl and I loved and still love it. I have moved to the
k100d but my son is using the dl and he likes it as well.

Jim

Last edited by jbrowning; 01-11-2008 at 11:35 AM.
01-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #8

I actually just got a DL about 8 months ago and i love it. Also just got a Samsung Gx-1s for a back up. (yes, a newer version for a backup) The DL does everything i need it to do and more.

but if you want to compare them side by side, only you can decide what it a pro or con.
I like the larger screen, the 3 point focus doesn't bother me & the SD card it fine.

from what i can see that is the major differences with them.
Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 3 cameras: Digital Photography Review

one thing you didn't mention that could sway your decision is price. are all of these the same price? and is that what you're willing to pay for the camera.
01-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The D and DS also have a pentaprism with greater magnification, correct? I've been looking to pick up a backup body, but it NEEDS to have a pentaprism. No more pathetic pentamirrors for me!
01-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had my *ist DS for 2 1/2 years,and have no intentions at the moment of replacing it.
01-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
sorry to mix things up.

BTW , I have no camera at this time , was waiting for the K10D , but was uninspired by it.

After looking at the price of the K100D Super , I'm reconsidering it , too.

It's just that I have read many times that some wish they still had their ist , over the Super .

Thank you for your thoughts thus far
and more are appreciated

J
01-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #12

I have owned a number of Pentax film Cameras from k1000 to MZS, about two years ago I bought the DS, I can say that this was and is my choice in that series as I could hold the body compared to the D, due to the size of grip. Last Nov my wife bought me the K10D, which I can say is superior and has assisted in producing some great shots.
Like everything in life it comes down to money, if want the K10D then go in that direction you want be disappointed, however if you want to wait for the next gen in DLSR from Pentax, then go with the DS and get hold of some good lenses, as the lenses will always last.
01-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I lean towards the DL .

Thank you for your help
don't buy it... certainly my experience is limited only to one *istDL and one day (yesterday) of К10D (just purchased from beachcamera), but it seems that I am going to spend >10 times less efforts dealing with colors/WB with K10D vs *istDL... may be it is just my copy of DL though...
01-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm very happy with my DS, to the point that I would buy another as a backup if the price were decent. I have a DL as well that my sister uses.

DS vs. D
USB 2.0 in the DS over USB 1.1 in the D which is huge when cable connecting to a PC. Not an issue if using a card reader. You lose the second dial on the front of the DS, which means you have to use the menus or fn key to access some features.

DS vs. DL
Pentaprism vs. pentamirror means brighter viewfinder. More AF points in the DS. More frames/second on DS. DL is slower to AF in my observation, but neither are speedy. You can do IR photography with the D or DS, but not the DL or any of the K-series.
01-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I echo Eric's thoughts on this. I have the DL (one of the first to come out) I find as Eric does the DL is only 3 point AF and the view finder is some what darker then the DS. In lower light situations the DL tends to hunt longer. I found I needed a faster AF and bought the K100D. Not the super. I'm well satisfied with both and my wife has taken over the DL and is learning the fine art of photography. I keep the DL as a second body on shoots and have never been dissatisfied with either camera. They say both are starter cameras, and this is true, but it all depends on your needs and what you shoot. Most of my gallery shots are with the DL. The most recent are with the K100. Take a look and I know you will see the difference.