Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rechargeable CRV3's?

I know I might be kicking a dead cat or ruffling a few feathers.

I have read up on Jonas' posting on rechargeable CRV3's, and other posts saying to make sure they are voltage regulated. I want to satisfy my curiousity with 3 questions.

1. Anyone use them in their K100d?
2. Anyone know of a reliable source in Canada?
3. Do rechargeable CRV3's leak power like the NiMH's over time?

Thanks.

12-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eneloop

Hi Alvin,
I do not know the answer to your question. However, what I do know is that my Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries are simply great in my DS.

They hold their charge even when the camera sits unused for a couple of weeks. Suggest you check them out.
Cheers
Grant
12-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
GWP, thanks for the suggestion. I do have 2 sets of 2650 mAh Duracells (1 set in the camera, one in the bag) as well as a 15 minute charger, but I'm thinking about when I am at a shoot and don't have access to a charger or when I have to pack light and can't bring the charger.

I was over at a mall an hour ago and spied a set of CRV3 rechargeables while walking by a store but I don't know if they were NiMH or Li-Ion. I think they were branded Maha but I know on the package it said it compatible with Pentax. I had no pen and paper to jot it down, but I'll check it again tomorrow just to make sure and confirm the price.

So if these CRV3's are NiMH, would there be any advantage over my current set of AA's?
12-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Hi Alvin,
Most of what I'm going to say is second hand, in that its what I have heard others talking about on forums such as this....so treat it accordingly.

There appears to be a question mark over the voltage of CRV3 rechargeables and I have heard it said that there have been some problems....again, more homework for you.

Why don't you just carry a spare set of Energiser Lithium in either CRV3 or AA format (same battery esssentially), I used AA Lithium before the Eneloop and they are fine, in fact I still have a packet in my bag as backup for exactly the situation you are talking about. But the eneloop's have not let me down yet.

I tried the Energiser re-chargeables too, but got frustrated with the inability to hold a charge.
Cheers from the sunny Gold Coast
Grant

12-28-2006, 04:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
I know I might be kicking a dead cat or ruffling a few feathers.
I have read up on Jonas' posting on rechargeable CRV3's, and other posts saying to make sure they are voltage regulated. I want to satisfy my curiousity with 3 questions.
Search the forum database over there and you will find the answers to your question. And I made one of the very first lengthy post on my experience of using RCR-V3 on my *ist D (and comparisons with CR-V3 (no difference here), AA Lithium and NiMH, too)

1. Anyone use them in their K100d?

I am using both RCR-V3 and CR-V3 in my K100. However, I still do not use my latest Sanyo 2500 mAh NiMH as they still perform poorly in my K100D.

2. Anyone know of a reliable source in Canada?

Just search for the specified voltage rating. My RCR-V3 marked with 3.0V rating. To place safe, do check if the manufacturer dares to mention about voltage regulation for their battery.

After you get your new RCR-V3, do remember to measure the voltage for a freshly charged battery. Mine measured at 3.4V (same as one-use CR-V3 when new).

3. Do rechargeable CRV3's leak power like the NiMH's over time?

Nope. It's Li-ion or Li-polymer batter which the self discharging rate is very low.

Also, other RCR-V3 advantages include:-
1. Longer battery life than *any* NiMH;

2. AF will as fast as CR-V3 (Vs the particular sluggish AF for NiMH);

3. Battery indictor will show correct Full, half-depleted and fully depleted status, unlike those NiMHs which defeat the function.

In short, with a proper high quality voltage regulated RCR-V3, you can enjoy the performance and stability of CR-V3 but it is rechargeable!

Good luck!
12-28-2006, 12:02 PM   #6

This doesn't answer your question, but I and others have had poor results with the Energizer 2500 NiMH batteries. I think many are defective - have a short.

Rayovac NiMH 2500 work great, and I'm going to pick up some 2700 NiMH.
12-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
This doesn't answer your question, but I and others have had poor results with the Energizer 2500 NiMH batteries. I think many are defective - have a short.

Rayovac NiMH 2500 work great, and I'm going to pick up some 2700 NiMH.
I have had a very good run in my DS with all the cells I have and they include Duracells, Energisers and others.

I do use a premium charger that charges each cell individually though and that may be the difference, I also put them through a full discharge cycle from time to time. Since I have purchased my K10D I have bought some Eneloops as I expect that the DS will sit at times and not be used, they seem okay but after only three weeks I have little data.
12-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

all it needs is one duff cell out of the four.. 4.8 volts is near the cameras limits and one cell not quite up to scratch dosnt give it the voltage it thinks it needs..

i find as general rule the greater the cells capacity the more unreliable they are.. it has nothing at all to do with the cells capacity as regards the camera not working.. .. i had to throw out a whole bunch of my 2500s whereas some older 2100s and 2300s (same make) work perfectly..

in fact some some four year old kodak 1800s i have work perfectly.. i think the slightly lower capacity ones come cheaper and are in fact better or less likely to fail after little usage..

u can only cram so much ina given size cell before it becomes touchy.. a bit like camera sensors.. he he he

trog

ps.. i am only talking metal hydrides by the way i have no experience with the other possibilites..

12-28-2006, 05:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input. I didn't get a chance to take a look at those batteries today as my schedule got clogged. The mall where I spotted these batteries are on the other end of the city - a good 50 km or so from my place and its not a fun drive in that particular part of town during the rush hour. I'll let you all know what happens regardless if I pick them up or not. If I do pick them up I'll post some tests too