Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Failed FW update.

Just got the estimate from C.R.I.S. for repairing my K7 that died due to a failed FW update.
"Replace main PCB. Adjust to MFG, spec.and general check and clean". USD. 289.00 + S&H.
I am little, no, lot surprised that the camera can not be reprogrammed without replacing the "mother-board".
Anyway, just make sure that when you do the next FW update, don`t mess up.

04-06-2012, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So an E-PROM was corrupted? And they can't re-flash it? Huh. Unless the cause of the failed FW update was that the MB failed, not the other way round.
04-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The camera was 100% up till I started the FW update. After watching the display say "updating, step one of two " for 15 minutes, I pulled the battery.
And that is all she wrote.. After that I did a FW update on a K5 with a tongue in cheek, it worked out fine. . So, who knows, was not my first FW update ever BTW.
04-06-2012, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Pulling the battery was a big mistake. The camera should have some safeguard for if the battery runs out, and abort, but sudden removal of it would be the worst thing you could do.

It's highly unlikely that the hardware itself is damaged though. Sounds like you're getting a bit of a runaround, to me.

04-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Pulling the battery was a big mistake. The camera should have some safeguard for if the battery runs out, and abort, but sudden removal of it would be the worst thing you could do.

It's highly unlikely that the hardware itself is damaged though. Sounds like you're getting a bit of a runaround, to me.
I have done FW updates on K100`s, K7`s and a K5 before, none of them have taken as long as the K7 that died did. 15 minutes is way out of the norm from my previous experiences. As far as a runaround, a possibility. As far as safeguards, there are non AFAIK.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-06-2012 at 07:45 PM.
04-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree that it's a lot longer than normal. I think I'd be climbing the walls if that happened, but I'd feel compelled to let it continue as long as it had to.

Maybe try talking to Pentax again, make sure they understand that this is a bricked firmware and not a hardware failure. I haven't had to deal with Pentax myself yet, but with a lot of companies, who you talk to is all important to the outcome.
04-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
...who you talk to is all important to the outcome.
And how you talk to them. Threats, ultimatums and yelling usually gets you less than anything.

04-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Just got the estimate from C.R.I.S. for repairing my K7 that died due to a failed FW update.
Do they have the camera already? Or is that quote based on your description?

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Maybe try talking to Pentax again, make sure they understand that this is a bricked firmware and not a hardware failure.
Unfortunately you can't say that. The firmware update might well have failed because of a hardware failure; it only requires one bit in the code memory (eeprom, flash, ...) to be stuck and the update will fail if that bit has to be changed.
04-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Do they have the camera already? Or is that quote based on your description?
They have it. I Fed-Ex`ed the camera on 3-26, they received it 3-30. Got my e-mail notification of estimate on 4-6 and OK`ed it the same day after getting home from work.
I will probably talk to one of the Techs. next week and pick his/her brain.

Cheers. Mike.
04-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Updating status.
4-9-12 parts hold.
4-11-12 parts hold, back order.
04-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I can never understand why the designers and engineers CAN'T put the bootloader (of ANY electronic device that uses firmware that can be upgraded in the field) in a ROM so that it CANNOT be touched (at least not by the consumer).

That way, you could always attempt to reflash or even go back to a previous version.

Obviously, the engineers who design these things never have to use them in real life.
04-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I can never understand why the designers and engineers CAN'T put the bootloader (of ANY electronic device that uses firmware that can be upgraded in the field) in a ROM so that it CANNOT be touched (at least not by the consumer).

That way, you could always attempt to reflash or even go back to a previous version.

Obviously, the engineers who design these things never have to use them in real life.
No, the engineers who design them are under a lot of pressure to knock $0.10 off the manufacturing cost.

I agree, though. There are lots of ways that they could make the fw update recoverable.
04-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
No, the engineers who design them are under a lot of pressure to knock $0.10 off the manufacturing cost.

I agree, though. There are lots of ways that they could make the fw update recoverable.
True.

There used to be a line of computers that did have a small part of the firmware locked. Just enough to boot and reflash for that very reason. Can't remember what they were now.
04-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Where did you download the firmware update from? Was it at the Pentax/Hoya Digital Imaging support website or from a Boogleding search and non Pentax manufacturer website?

The latest firmware file name should look exactly like this 1330987397_k7_e112w.exe

Also when I am updating firmware I try to use a fresh SD card when possible. It's just a great five or $10.00 investment these days.
Take for example the latest K-7 firmware update file size is less than 10mb. A 2GB card can be be bought new for under $5 bucks these days. Food for thought.

Not to be critical but more on the advice side of things always look at the possible errors that can and might throw an SD card out of whack when updating firmware. KISS Keep It Simple Stu,,,is the rule that I use.

I am reasonably sure pulling the battery did not help. The update firmware will always attempt show an update failed screen whenever possible, From my understanding even when the battery has more than one percent of its power left. It could be possible that your battery was failing and unfortunately you did not wait the process out.. It can take almost an hour in some cases.. Patience is a virtue

Last edited by Indecent Exposure; 04-12-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: More info
04-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
It can take almost an hour in some cases.. Patience is a virtue
True statement, I ran out of patience after 15 minutes. Downloaded from Pentax, battery good, card good AFAIK. I did a FW update the next day on a K5, no hick-ups. Only took about 2 minutes or so.
I appreciate all the advice BTW.
Just sucks having to drop $ 300 or so due to a glitch or operator error.

On the bright side.
C.R.I.S. is very responsive to inquiries and on the ball as far as customer feed-back is concerned.
I left a message on their website about getting the mode dial replaced due to paint coming off. I figured that while getting serviced, why not do that also. They had e-mailed me with a reply within hours and also the lady called me on my cell with the information, while I was grocery shopping.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-13-2012 at 06:24 PM.