Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #1

Impact of vibration on K10D

I am new to the forum since buying a K10D in December. Nice camera with the few shots I have done.
I need your advice. I do motorcycle touring, on road & off. In the past I carried a Pentax Optio 330. I am concerned that if I carry the K10 on the bike, the vibration reduction system in the body will be damaged due to the increased road vibs.
Does anyone have any experienced to confirm or deny my concerns?
How about a non-VR SLR like a K100?

Thotz?

Thanks
JLH

01-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Good question....

I take it since you are concerned with motorcycle vibration you own a Harley?

I do and in actuality the Road King Classic I have is quite smooth. I take it you are more concerned because of the extent of off-road riding you do?

Really...I would be interested to know how vibration affects the shake reduction feature and its mechanical components of the K10D as I will be getting mine in a few days and my plans also include motorcycle touring also.

Thanks...Sprags

Last edited by Sprags; 01-12-2008 at 04:01 PM.
01-12-2008, 05:28 AM   #3

14 months with K10D

and always with me (K100D has had even more "trouble" I guess...)- while climbing/backpacking/riding (horse/bike/bicycle etc. - and never a problem- and my main "adventure" bag was Pentax Slingshot- very comfortable and IMO well padded :-)
Best and happy shooting, JR
01-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi 2wheels.

You didn't say what your ride is, but something like this setup works very well. It will detach from the bike in a crash (I know this from personal experience) and with a proper foam insert should protect the camera gear from anything you could subject it to in a normal ride.

Unfortunately, when I discovered that the quick detach function actually works I wasn't using the foam inserts, just a small camera bag and lens sleeves. My Pentax 18-35 iris blades bit the dust and my *istD no longer allows me to delete images from the card & the onboard flash is intermittent.

If Caribou can't hook you up, a pelican on your rear rack would work as well, just wouldn't be quickly removable. This would have the advantage of being able to use sizes smaller than the 1520/1550 offered.

Properly padded in a proper hard case I think you should have no worries.

hth

Jim

01-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the K10D because it seemed well built enough and most of the reviews I read recommend it for outdoor photographers. I got mine at the end of the riding season here in the Adirondacks so I haven't had it on the bike but I will in the spring. My old Pentax film camera rode with me 30 years and still works! While everybody wants to pick on Harleys for vibrating, all bikes vibrate some. Some high reving Japanese bikes put out a hig frequency buzz that can make every bone in your body ache on a long ride and bouncing around due to shock travel might damage any camera that isn't packed in a secure manner. A good padded case and your camera should be fine.
01-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I bought the K10D because it seemed well built enough and most of the reviews I read recommend it for outdoor photographers. I got mine at the end of the riding season here in the Adirondacks so I haven't had it on the bike but I will in the spring. My old Pentax film camera rode with me 30 years and still works! While everybody wants to pick on Harleys for vibrating, all bikes vibrate some. Some high reving Japanese bikes put out a hig frequency buzz that can make every bone in your body ache on a long ride and bouncing around due to shock travel might damage any camera that isn't packed in a secure manner. A good padded case and your camera should be fine.
Back in the dark ages when I rode, I rode an Enfield 350 single - one of the many English "thumpers". Between the vibration of a slow turning single cylinder and the complete lack of rear wheel suspension, I was lucky not to have my teeth fall out. A padded case should do the trick very nicely.
01-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm still riding a 1977 Honda CB 550F. It sat most of last summer due to my having emergency surgery in june. I may retire it soon ( it has over 100k mi) but I have been all over the eastern US through the years and my camera was always along. I think Endfields are still being made. I some new ones at Laconia a couple of years ago. These new bikes are made in India if I remember right.
01-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

"New" Endfield

After replying to your post Albert, my brain cell woke up and I was pretty sure I took a picture of that bike. Time flies...this was taken at Laconia 1999, more than a couple of years but the bikes were still being made then.

Last edited by reeftool; 05-27-2008 at 07:37 AM.
01-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Inactive Account

After replying to your post Albert, my brain cell woke up and I was pretty sure I took a picture of that bike. Time flies...this was taken at Laconia 1999, more than a couple of years but the bikes were still being made then.
That's a neat looking bike...
01-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Close, but not old enough. Mine was a 1946 Enfield - they weren't Royal yet. The bike is commonly seen in British WW II movies - it was the standard issue courier bike. No back seat, a tool rack on mine which suggests it was the REME model. Very long and low for its engine size, topped out at about 70 mph. The bike in your photo actually has shocks on the reat suspension, too. The only suspension on mine was a spring loaded parallelogram on the handlebars with a friction damper. It would move about 4 inches if I hit a pothole hard enough
01-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I knew a guy up in Chicago that I worked with that bought one of the new Royal Enfields....

From what I remember they are built in India. I remember seeing how rough the cast parts were...but...it's still a neat looking bike.
01-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hey 2wheels,
I am concerned about vibration too (rigid mount sportster) and pot-holes are the pits so I always carry a bag or pack on my body to take up the shock. At least if you see something unavoidable you can stand on the pegs to lessen the jarring, or you could just hold it
01-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I ride a Suzuki Bandit 600S. I only put about 2k miles on my bike this season but I'd say my K100 was on-board for about 95% of that riding in a backpack or shoulder bag.

If you're going to be using it while riding, I'd be much more worried about having a UV filter than vibrations. I'd hate to have to scrape bugs off my lens' front element!

-Chris
01-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #14

Original Poster
Yeah, i forgot to not the ride. I have 48k on a Honda ST1300 & 11k on a KTM 950 Adv as well as a XR650R with another 5.5k. I will be selling the ST & the 950 will be my primary ride except for serious off road work. I just picked up a Lowepro 200 Slingshot bag so I might try to carry that in a side bag. In the film days I carried a FTB everywhere but we all know you could drive nails with that box & it would still shoot! I worry about the little VR mechanisim being shaken apart. I run XM with Grado head phones in the helmet & I have had to repair the XM box due to shaking the 12 vdc input conn off the pc board.

Maybe I will will just have to try it. The white stuff is melting a little here in SLC & I am sneaking in a few miles so......

Here is the KTM in the Uintas last summer.
Attached Images

01-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Great shot, love the clouds. Interesting windshield treatment. Most seem to bore holes in the KTM shield, this looks like a mega laminar lip.

After my get off on Sept 1st (rode into a rock filled ditch) and ending up like this:
(forgive the salute, it was for the guys in the bike forum)

I can't imagine wearing a backpack with anything hard in it. Notice the rocks? Only by shear luck did I not land on a larger one and really bugger my back. The end result was a broken collar bone, 6 broken ribs, a compression fracture to my L1 vertebrae & a torn ACL/MCL in my left knee. My right ankle was sprained so badly they initially thought it was broken. Oh yeah, I ended up losing my left big toenail too. That was annoying.

The back pad dissipated the impact with the golf ball-to-baseball sized rock that got my spine. I don't think I would have walked away from landing on a camera in a backpack, padded or not.

Sorry, I can't tell you how I ended up in the ditch since I don't remember the crash & none of the other guys saw it. There was a four-legged-forest-rat (deer) involved apparently (didn't get pics though ).

The bottom line to this rather hoary tale is I wouldn't recommend carrying a camera (or anything you don't want to land on) in a back pack on a bike. I certainly didn't plan to crash, but I did & I'm still recovering from it.

Good luck in what you decide as a carry mode. If the gear is properly padded I don't think you'll have to worry about it jarring anything loose.