Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Still very little being done by Pentax-UK in terms of advertising/profile raising of the brand... We know Ricoh have the pockets for it (deep)... Why have they not updated Hoya's marketing stategy...

Poor show...
Ricoh lost Y66,605 per share in the 4th calendar quarter last year, and reportedly had a larger loss in the 4th Fiscal Quarter through March. Their Credit Rating was just reduced by Moody's from A+ to A and they were removed from CreditWatch Negative. Their pockets aren't as deep as it might appear.

This might have something to do with lens prices as well.

04-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #32
Veteran Member

With all that's going on in Asia with Tsunamis, earthquakes, and floods, what do you expect? Not to mention the recent depression. It'll be fine.
06-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I checked the place out again this past week, and I thought I was surprised before...

Quite a contrast there with the Q, heh.

First ever digital medium format in a US big box store?

Last edited by Cannikin; 06-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.
06-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Well, I checked the place out again this past week, and I thought I was surprised before...

Quite a contrast there with the Q, heh.

First ever digital medium format in a US big box store?
I saw that they had the 645D online, also the special edition red one.
Did they actually have a working one on display that you could use?

06-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I saw that they had the 645D online, also the special edition red one.
Did they actually have a working one on display that you could use?
Nope, wasn't on display. I don't think they put out the really expensive cameras, as they had a 5D Mark III (and Mark II before that) price tag, but never had them on display. I did manage to spot the Mk III locked in the back of a cage the last time (see earlier pictures), so they did actually have them in store, just not out for people to touch.

I probably should have asked if they actually had a 645D in the back.
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #36
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I can't see them growing in countries with little/no brick-and-mortar retail presence like the U.S. and the U.K. apart from word of mouth. If Pentax wasn't so big in Japan, I would think it would have died out a few years back! Outside of Japan, I'm wondering if Pentax isn't just holding on by a thread

I'll bet that Pentax does in fact ramp up it's presence throughout the U.K. as the Olympics draw closer - even though I'm sure that Canikon got the official Olympic camera endorsement. So the average personon the street (and the many tourists) will in fact see a lot of the Pentax name out there soon. Even so far as seeing them in store windows and in store displays.

And although not really in the neighborhod of the U.K. I have seen quite impressive Pentax displays in places like Paris, Amsterdam (numerous), and other locations in Europe.

But all that stated; I also have to agree - Pentax is gaining very gradually in North america with their marketing, but they really have to ramp it up significantly. I realize that this year there have been two camera body releases and a few lens', but... Pentax will also need to keep up that pace; releasing at least two to three new camera bodies per year. Also noting... The PK lens market seems to be holding it's own; between Pentax, Sigma, even the pricier ones such as Zeiss, and even the entry level somewhat generic models, but... I've also noticed a few issues with certain key lens' that are rarely on the market. And that issue will cause the dedicated Pentax lens buyers (such as myself) to actually look for other names
06-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #37
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
just reduced by Moody's from A+ to A

Just like in the 90's with Moody's... That Moody's may have again caught the watchful eye of numerous united states federal government agencies; such as the (one before) justice department. Although still not near complete; this time it is my perspective that the government really has them this time

06-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Nope, wasn't on display. I don't think they put out the really expensive cameras, as they had a 5D Mark III (and Mark II before that) price tag, but never had them on display. I did manage to spot the Mk III locked in the back of a cage the last time (see earlier pictures), so they did actually have them in store, just not out for people to touch.

I probably should have asked if they actually had a 645D in the back.
Aw, too bad. With all the people (especially the curious kids) that come through there everyday, it would probably be damaged at the end of the first day.

Make sure you ask next time. Even if you never plan on buying a 645D, it would still be a great experience to just hold and use one for a few minutes.