Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

So I walked into the Seattle area Fry's Electronics...

and needless to say, I was somewhat shocked to see the following in a US big box electronics store, when I haven't seen a single Pentax camera at any of the camera specialty stores around here:

Is this a sign of the new power of PRIC at work? Previously they only had the K-r.

Also, as a side note, I thought this was an interesting sighting as well, considering it's out of stock basically everywhere and has huge preorder lines. It didn't have a display or advertised price though:

Last edited by Cannikin; 04-08-2012 at 05:17 PM.
04-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to see. Of course its $749......
04-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Nice to see. Of course its $749......
Yeah, the prices are generally not that competitive compared to Amazon/B&H/Adorama (K-5 $1500 here vs. $1100 online), but the K-r's price is good, and the most important thing is a full line of current generation Pentax cameras besides the K-01 (and 645D of course) on display at a big box store, considering the average consumer probably learns of the existence of camera models, and sometimes entire brands, when they first see them in a store.
04-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do like the K-r's price. Only way around here to get one new is a loooong trip or online

04-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, that's a great sign...thanks for posting this.
04-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Coincidence that you posted this.

I just checked Fry's Electronics in Seattle online web site and they had all the current dslrs but the only lens they had for sale extra was a DA 50-200. But at least they had the camera. I think i'll take a trip over there to actually see the Q and K01.

Thanks for the photos!
04-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
when I haven't seen a single Pentax camera at any of the camera specialty stores around here:
FYI: Fry's had the K7 (when it was current) plus the Kx (when it was current) at one time, so no this is nothing new...

04-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think i'll take a trip over there to actually see the Q and K01.

Thanks for the photos!
The Q is crazy small, even compared to the NX and Nikon 1 cameras on either side of it. It has to be seen and held in person to really get a sense of scale. The battery was charged in the display unit (unlike most of the other cameras), so you can fiddle around with it.

Didn't see a K-01, though.
04-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I saw a Q and K-r at my Frys (when I was last there a few months ago). The only other place I have found Pentax is Helix Photo in Chicago and they only had the K-r, a few old FA kit lens, grips, and guide books for the 10d and 20d.
04-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #10

Yeah, the Fry's here has Pentax. I went and checked them out before I bought mine online.
04-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Closed Account

and needless to say, I was somewhat shocked to see the following in a US big box electronics store, when I haven't seen a single Pentax camera at any of the camera specialty stores around here
I find that so crazy, because here in Alberta - the province where I live - there is hardly a camera "specialty" store that DOESN'T have Pentax products. Interesting - I mean, I wonder why a major American city wouldn't have Pentax in a ton of places when we do? I've also read other comments like this in these forums about other places in the U.S. and in other countries. I wonder if it's the ineffectiveness of the Pentax reps in some places, or the over-effectiveness of the Canon and Nikon reps out there? Or is it just a pitifully low market share in those places that doesn't justify retailers carrying Pentax?
04-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
Banned

Photos: Albums
and needless to say, I was somewhat shocked to see the following in a US big box electronics store, when I haven't seen a single Pentax camera at any of the camera specialty stores around here
Fry's has had Pentax cameras in stock for a couple of years already. It's the only major store where I saw Pentax.

Someone has also posted here the address of a camera store south of Seattle that is also well stocked on Pentax. It was a bit further South than Renton, so I've never been there, but you may find the thread with a search, if interested.

I've been to Fry's a few weeks back and didn't see the Q - that is news to me. I'd like to give it a try,
04-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I know there's a Fry's in Phoenix and I think there's one in Tucson but I avoid such cities when I'm here on the Arizona-Sonora border. I'll head back towards Lake Tahoe in a week or three (detouring around P&T); there's no Fry's in Reno, but I'll check the one in Sacramento next time I'm there. (Sac is another good place to avoid, usually.)

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
Yeah, the Fry's here has Pentax. I went and checked them out before I bought mine online.
Where is 'here'?
04-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I find that so crazy, because here in Alberta - the province where I live - there is hardly a camera "specialty" store that DOESN'T have Pentax products. Interesting - I mean, I wonder why a major American city wouldn't have Pentax in a ton of places when we do? I've also read other comments like this in these forums about other places in the U.S. and in other countries. I wonder if it's the ineffectiveness of the Pentax reps in some places, or the over-effectiveness of the Canon and Nikon reps out there? Or is it just a pitifully low market share in those places that doesn't justify retailers carrying Pentax?
I think your question is a fascinating one and very relevant.

Not sure i have the answers either but these might pertain:
a. In 20 years, the internet has transformed American retail in remarkable ways. The small privately owned stores and even small store chains have largely been driven out of business except in rural, less populated areas. Many things can be purchased and delivered to your doorstop relatively inexpensively. More research about those products is usually available online rather than from a sales rep.

b. Those stores that remain in dense population areas (and gradually are moving into rural areas) are the big box stores (like Costco, Staples, Albertsons, Safeways, Best Buy, Home Depot). The concentration of so much retail in nationally controlled chains make it far easier for large share products to dominate and drive out smaller share products.

I think a) and b) have combined into the perfect storm for smaller share products like Pentax. In the US, another example is Hallmark greeting cards. Big box stores don't really like to stock thousands of different variations of the same product, like a camera - they want to simplify their inventory lists and make profits thru volume.

Why has it happened in the US, not Canada. Hmmm. I think the internet has impacted the US earlier than the Canada so your time may be coming. Perhaps the tax laws in Canada are different from the US in some way that favors large corporate stores in the US. We have lost a lot of cultural diversity in the US due to these large corporations - i don't think we're better off because of it. I've seen at least one article talk about the domination of large box store companies in the US - so it isn't all my imagination.

Last edited by philbaum; 04-08-2012 at 10:28 PM.
04-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Fry's has had Pentax cameras in stock for a couple of years already. It's the only major store where I saw Pentax.
Yeah, I was aware that Fry's had Pentax for awhile now, but for well over a year now the only Pentax camera they had in store was a single black K-r kit.

Within the last couple of weeks I just noticed the K-5 and Q added, as well as a red K-r kit. From a single entry level camera to a near full set of current generation ILCs (including multiple colors), minus the K-01 (which is still listed as preorder on their website), and the 645D (for obvious reasons). Now I wouldn't be surprised to see the K-01 soon.

Call me an optimist, but I figure something is probably up to convince Fry's to multiply their in-store selection of Pentax cameras within a relatively short time.

Last edited by Cannikin; 04-09-2012 at 01:39 AM.