01-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
2x post grrrrrr

01-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
With the rate of update of Pentax DSLR bodies since the *istD and assuming post 24 Jan 08 developments staying current becomes and expensive exercise. For example my *istD with a wide kit lens cost about US$3000 and about 2.5 years later the K10D some $US1600. If offerings post 24 Jan are significantly advanced as the K10D is over the *istD what does one do? Chase the technology geometric progression or settle for a level that is comfortable at least for several years.

I can't imagine relegating my K10D to the unused bag status of my *istD and yet???????

David
Strangely, I've relegated my K10D to the shelf since I've bought my *istD. The latter is much more capable for high ISO and infrared shooting. The K10D is faster, but I can live without speed.
01-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Keith Quote
I dream of the days of film - life was so simple then
Hmm, film type, developer type and dilution, processing temp/time, agitation method, paper type/contrast, paper dev ;-)

Or slide.
01-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
As far as going obsolete goes, there's nothing wrong w/ that. I went digital a few years ago when Sony came out with their DSC 717. I went for it because it was digital, and the convenience it offered. It's a great semi-advanced P&S camera still.

I had a somewhat difficult time with it, as it was all "menu-driven". It took, (still does take), great shots, but it didn't always do what I wanted it to do. I was used "analog" SLR. When I heard about the K10D several months before it's release, I got really excited.

I've got a lifetime collection of legacy M42 glass. Most of it purchased for Honeywell, Asahi, and Mamiya bodies. I've been through a few bodies over the years. (Now, if I could get a new one to replace the body that packs around the camera and glass, I'd up-grade in a minute!) I saw the K10D as a digital camera that was more in tune with the way I learned how to use a camera.

Sure, I still use "Manual", most of the time, (I've only owned one AF camera, ZX-50, and that was the only K mount, I've owned, {I'm a hobbiest, and M42 bodies were reliable / nearly bomb-proof} and one AF lens, sigma 70-210, and wasn't too impressed by either, maybe because I stuck with what I knew). I love the K10D! It was worth the money and wait.

I still pack around a box with a couple Mamiya 500DX bodies, and M42 lenses that still don't have adapter rings "Adapted". (Only so many genuine Pentax K-M42 adapters available). I still even exercise an old Brownie, when I can find film at discount stores, and that camera still takes shots that make me happy.

What I love about the K10D, is the instant feedback and Exif data. I can see what I did in close enough time to see and remember what it was I did. Because of that, I've somewhat succumbed to LBA. Bought the newer Sigma 105, and the Bigma glass, (even though that cost more than the K10D).

I'm not too worried about that. Pentax will have another body when my K10D fails for some reason, but I'll still have the glass. I might pass on the new body being announced soon, might pass on the one after that. But, I will, (deity or health care willing), buy a new digital body sometime. I hope it will be as large a leap as it was from my first entry into digital, as to DSLR. And maybe by that time, I'll finally have figured out how to use a few more of the Bells and Whistles on the K10D.

Mud

01-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

When i bought my D1 in 2001, it shot pictures at 2.74 MP. It still does. It took nice sharp photos then, and does so now, As long as it will do this, its not redundant.

I have moved up the ladder so to speak, with the changes over the past few years, in both Pentax and Nikon bodies. I don't consider any of them redundant, because i use them for different situations.
I kept my istD as a K10D back up, and i like it better for IR than the K10D.

I shoot my D1 and D1H for my equine work, and the D2H is now a backup. Why, because D1 and D1H have flash shutter of 1/500 which i need for indoor work, and D2H does not. Also its very noisey at iso over 250 i find, specially in cloudy days. D2H does better indoor general flash, so i use it for that.

D200 is a nice 10MP camera, but i like the K10D much better so it might go.

I think the only time i will say one of my cameras is redundant or obsolete, is when they break and i decide not to fix them.

Dave