Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #1

Help... Best in IQ

Without considering all the other parameters of all Pentax DSLR (listed below), which of them has the Best in IQ?

The choices:
K5; Kr, Kx, K7, K20

I am planning to upgrade (downgrade) my KX to any of the choices above and am highly considering the IQ to be the deal breaker...

Enlighten me anyone as i've read somwhere that the difference of K5 and KX (IQ-wise) is small.

Thanks in advance

04-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 is far superior in IQ, DR and handling (equal to K-7) to any of the other bodies mentioned. No contest.
04-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Wizofoz,

Tested the K7 yesterday at Low Light... way belox KX IQ...

Is it advisable to upgrade to K5 or just use the money to get better lenses to combine with KX?
Tested DA 70 and wasn't impressed about the IQ as well as the FL of the lens (My Vivitar-Komine 200 3.5 is even sharper than the DA 70)
04-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You will not be disappointed with the IQ from a K-5 - it is stunning

I am very happy with mine - the IQ is more than I need really, but very nice to have.

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Is it advisable to upgrade to K5 or just use the money to get better lenses to combine with KX?
I think you would be very happy with a K-5 for IQ, but then you will also want some very good lenses to use the IQ. I think the answer is both - but start from a good base with the K-5. Make the most of the lenses you have, and save for more

Ross

04-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks NZ_Ross,

I think that's the way to go for me then... Am down to 4 lenses from as high as 11 before and am willing to give them up if better base is what i really need. By the way I love shooting Low Light photography / Portraits / Still Life / Street and Landscapes.

Am happy with my 4 lenses to go with a K5, except for the Jup37A (think i'll get CZ Sonnar 135 3.5 for better IQ) and crossing my fingers on the k5 for now...
04-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

HoBykoYan,

I have been shooting mainly in TAv mode which allows shutter speed adjustment on front edial and aperture adjustment on the rear edial. I have ISO set to automatic in a range 100-6400. Apart from the IQ of the K-5 the ISO flexibility is where it really is ahead of the K-7.

I have found shooting like this with a good ISO range provides a great deal of flexibility, and the K-5 images are still pretty good at ISO 6400. If you are into low light photography then the K-5 is going to spoil you.

The only issue you are going to have is the on-going desire for fast glass, and that costs plenty .

I have completed some landscape photography this weekend using the DA 21/3.2 Limited and was really happy with how this lens draws, the colors, and the sharpness of the images. Pretty good really - there are a couple of examples I have put up in my albums.

Enjoy your photography - that is the main thing.

Ross
04-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
NZ_Ross,

I was really impressed with the TAV option of K5/K7 but i think the K7 will only limit the TAV because of its poor performance at higher ISO.

I can constantly shoot at 1600 ISO with my KX and if i can use 6400 with the K5 then this body will really suit my needs (and with your words Spoil me)

With regards to fast glass am keeping my FA 50 1.7 to go with the k5 and hopefully find a cheap and sharp m42 @ 1.4 (any recommendation with this one?)

Da 21? too much for now

Now am sold out with the K5 (you're not the owner of Pentax are you?) kidding

Thanks a lot NZ_Ross (will check on your album)

04-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

With regards to fast glass am keeping my FA 50 1.7 to go with the k5 and hopefully find a cheap and sharp m42 @ 1.4 (any recommendation with this one?)
I think just read the reviews and decide yourself. I will probably go for the DA*55mm/1.4 SDM when I get a f1.4. I have the Super Takumar 55/1.8 in the interim for that length which is a good lens, but not stunning.

Now am sold out with the K5 (you're not the owner of Pentax are you?) kidding
No, sadly not - if I were I could hopefully get my gear for a lot less, and influence some of the design decisions for lenses and bodies, which would be fun

Incidentally, the lens in my small collection that I have been most impressed with is the DA 35/2.8 Macro Limited - WOW, if you can get one for the right price....do not hesitate - it is a stunner in the way it draws, the bokeh, and just the fantastic quality of the images it produces

Cheers

Ross
04-09-2012, 03:09 AM   #9
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

HoBykoYan,

I have just been looking at this tread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/123731-no-more-tests-just-pictures.html

Have a look at some of the images - all from the K-5, the image quality will knock your socks off, and plenty of the images are low light, so it will give you a good idea of the capabilities there.

Ross
04-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... By the way I love shooting Low Light photography / Portraits / Still Life / Street and Landscapes....
Low light and high ISO are not your only option. Low light coupled with low ISO can bring out stunning dynamic range, however the penalty is longer shutter speeds, which then begs for mechanical stability (tripod).

04-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

First let me declare my possible bias - I have a K-x and I do covet (very much) a K-5.

Having made that disclosure:

Photography is a visual media -
and more often than not our eyes are the final judge -
but I will take the point that one's own judgement may not necessarily apply to anyone else.

I like displaying these from dpReview.com on the Pentax K-5 -
ISO6400:

I find ISO6400 is about the highest practical limit for noise.

RAW:

ISO12800:

RAW:

I originally posted this (as #11) in the thread:

K-x matching K-5 at high ISO ( 1 2)

and to be fair the OP said there was possible focusing issues with the K-5 samples,
and cited confirmation bias

So I suggest reading the thread, than just to take the samples I posted.
04-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have used K100D, K7, Kx (on loan for a photo outing weekend) and now have the K5.

The Kx beats the K7 for sensor performance.
The K5 is better than the Kx in all ways.
AF speed and decisiveness, DR, ISO performance (though not that much); resolution; interface, features, handling.

To me, its the best camera Pentax has to date and can easily go at least for 2yrs w/o a need for the next best thing.
04-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Without considering all the other parameters of all Pentax DSLR (listed below), which of them has the Best in IQ?

The choices:
K5; Kr, Kx, K7, K20

I am planning to upgrade (downgrade) my KX to any of the choices above and am highly considering the IQ to be the deal breaker...

Enlighten me anyone as i've read somwhere that the difference of K5 and KX (IQ-wise) is small.

Thanks in advance
What exactly are you not getting out of your K-x that you feel up/down grading will get you especially when one considers how much Post Processing influences the final product?

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
First let me declare my possible bias - I have a K-x and I do covet (very much) a K-5.

Having made that disclosure:

Photography is a visual media -
and more often than not our eyes are the final judge -
but I will take the point that one's own judgement may not necessarily apply to anyone else.

I like displaying these from dpReview.com on the Pentax K-5 -
ISO6400:

I find ISO6400 is about the highest practical limit for noise.

RAW:

ISO12800:

RAW:

I originally posted this (as #11) in the thread:

K-x matching K-5 at high ISO ( 1 2)

and to be fair the OP said there was possible focusing issues with the K-5 samples,
and cited confirmation bias

So I suggest reading the thread, than just to take the samples I posted.
Thanks!
04-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't already own a good tripod, buy one instead of upgrading your camera, and use it all the time. This will increase the IQ of your photos far more than any new camera will.
04-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sit on the KX till either the next ASPC Pentax is released or the FF Pentax unicorn that we are all waiting on.
If you really want to go to a K5 that would be the time as the stores will all probably dump their new K5's for $750 and the used market will be a feeding frenzy for cheapskates like me who only buy used when people dump stuff in the wake of a new model release. (my K20D was in the $400's used as a result of the K5 coming out)