Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
If you really want to go to a K5 that would be the time as the stores will all probably dump their new K5's for $750 and the used market will be a feeding frenzy for cheapskates like me who only buy used when people dump stuff in the wake of a new model release. (my K20D was in the $400's used as a result of the K5 coming out)
All true, but in the Interim I am having the huge pleasure of using my K-5 every day

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you don't already own a good tripod, buy one instead of upgrading your camera, and use it all the time. This will increase the IQ of your photos far more than any new camera will.
That is true, but there are times with low light shooting inside at parties or bars, street in low light, inside tourist architecture etc. where using a tripod is not practical or not permitted - in those circumstances good ISO range and fast glass is going to help a lot

Ross

04-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Get better glass first, then start thinking about the K-5. Combination of worse body + better glass is always better than better body + worse glass. IQ of the K-x is already amazing. I personally don't think that upgrade to K-5 from K-x is reasonable IQ-wise, because the K-5 is double the price and the difference in IQ is quite small. Anyway, with K-5 you'd get better ergonomy, no doubt about that. But if I were in your shoes, I'd wait for the K-5's succesor. Pentax has to make big improvements to the AF system.
04-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #18

Original Poster
thats what ive been waiting to hear all this time.

better body + worse lens vs worse body + better lens.
any other opinion regarding this?
whos wih Freddy? gonna need this asap, am about to upgrade my kx to k5 tomorrow.

k5 + pancolar 50 1.8 vs kx + da 40 + pancolar 50 1.8
04-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Id go for the K-5 and the DA40/DA40 XS (cheaper by almost half)

I upgraded from a K-r (already improved on the K-x) and its a big move. IQ is better, dynamic range is wayyy better (you can pull 2-3 stops out of the shadows) and high ISO should be better. As for the samples posted on the previous page from DPreview, i think it was mentioned previously in another thread when this came up that who knows where the focus points in those shots are which could make a big difference in comparisons. In any case no current Pentax camera will do poorly in high ISO

Regardless the external controls, extra features (Better AF, weathersealed, way more durable, silent shutter, big viewfinder, AF point in VF, auto-level, TAv) and IQ make it a better move IMO. Plus any successor to the K-5 will cost probably close to double what you can get one for now. If you have small hands you might find the other grips more comfortable, the K-5 grip is quite a bit larger

Last edited by Deimos; 04-18-2012 at 11:10 AM.
04-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

@freddykrueger is spot on.

I have multiple Kx's and K5's, the difference between the IQ is minimal - your biggest gain between them is the higher ISO performance, but even this is a mute point if you have no need to shoot over 4000ISO. Spend the money on glass, you will not be disappointed...
04-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by freddykrueger Quote
Get better glass first, then start thinking about the K-5. Combination of worse body + better glass is always better than better body + worse glass. IQ of the K-x is already amazing. I personally don't think that upgrade to K-5 from K-x is reasonable IQ-wise, because the K-5 is double the price and the difference in IQ is quite small. Anyway, with K-5 you'd get better ergonomy, no doubt about that. But if I were in your shoes, I'd wait for the K-5's succesor. Pentax has to make big improvements to the AF system.
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
@freddykrueger is spot on.

I have multiple Kx's and K5's, the difference between the IQ is minimal - your biggest gain between them is the higher ISO performance, but even this is a mute point if you have no need to shoot over 4000ISO. Spend the money on glass, you will not be disappointed...
+1 +1

The Lens is the Locomotive that pulls the train...
04-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #22

Original Poster
so doubly hard for me to decide.

here's the real situation for you guys to understand. been keeping it so as not to affect your opinions.

am planning to trade kx 60k shutter + fa 50 1.7 + 430us for a k5 10k shutter.

for k5 i will have the da 16-45, pancolar 50 1.8, jupiter 37a 135 3.5 n vivitar 200 3.5
for kx i can have the da 16-45, da 40 xs, pancolar 50 1.8, rokinon 85 1.4, jupiter 37a 135 3.5 n vivitar 200 3.5

things i dont like with kx?
back/front focus need to adjust everytime
no af point on viewfinder

things i like wih k5?
like all features espcially tav n dr

grrr? makes one crazy...

04-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You live outside the US, so if I were you, I'd sell all the lenses except the DA 16-45mm, keep the k-x and get the DA* 50-135mm. But that's just me.
04-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's at least $200 too much you are paying in addition, look at ebay. Keep the FA, if a FF comes out those will become gold.
04-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #25

Original Poster
I've seen it... tested it...love it... Got to have one for me (and it's final)

Yes, there's no way i can compare the K5 to my beloved KX (way out of KX's league)...

Im sold out... about better glass over better body? No way too... Nothing beats K5 (old or new glasses it will surely push them to their limits)

Tried Da L 35 (very sharp lens indeed, i like one too but am comparing it with DA40 XS... almost same price) with both bodies...
Guess what? KX pics looks very ordinary compared to K5 (that's how good K5 is)

Raring and eager to join K5 owners...

Thanks all for your opinions, appreciate it a lot.
04-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #26

Original Poster
few things about the comparison:

K5
wider viewfinder, brighter viewfinder, focus point (none on KX), less noise @ 3200 compared to KX 1600, white balance, sharper IQ (same lens)...
04-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #27
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Raring and eager to join K5 owners...

Thanks all for your opinions, appreciate it a lot.
You are very welcome HoBykoYan- I know you are going to enjoy your K-5.

I am sure in no time at all you will end up with a very nice collection of glass that you will also enjoy using.

Cheers,

Ross
04-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #28

Original Poster
Thanks NZ_Ross,

Do you know any ways to check for sensor stains? is it associated with the serials (date manufactured)?
04-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #29
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Do you know any ways to check for sensor stains? is it associated with the serials (date manufactured)?
Um, I think there is a heap of information on PF forums here somewhere - just do a search.
04-20-2012, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
finally!!! after drooling over the K5, now you're mine....

will surely miss KX.
thank you for the memories and the wonderful pics....

K5! show me what you've got...