Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It seems to me that there is indeed at least one interpretation of a "Perfect Image"; it is a faithful record of the spatial distribution of color intensities comprising an image. Each pixel or sub-pixel in a Bayer array camera is a simple device that counts photons with a known efficiency.

It would not be rocket science to simply display this record of raw colors such that the intensity of each display pixel faithfully reproduced the intensities measured by the sensor (I am ignoring transformations like de-mosaicing - and other well defined transformations).

But you would usually not like the displayed image - the colors would be far from what you think is right - that is a problem with our physiology, not with the recording of an image that is correct in the physics sense.

I understand that most RAW readers apply proprietary, adjustable transformations to the data before it is displayed; so much so that the MTF data presented by most reviews is suspect. See the example in lenstip.com Why the Lenstip reviews differ from others? - Where could the differences stem from? - Lenstip.com I believe that DCRAW applies no sharpening when reading a raw file. The fact is that many, if not most of us (including me) have little idea of what's in the raw file we've read because it depends on the reader used.

When we PP, we are usually trying to bring the display close to what our perception of the original scene was (or what we think it should have been) - not what the scene was in reality, nor how it was recorded on the sensor.

05-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
When we PP, we are usually trying to bring the display close to what our perception of the original scene was (or what we think it should have been) - not what the scene was in reality, nor how it was recorded on the sensor.
I'll generalize that a bit: We PP to make a picture look the way we want it to look. We *might* want it to look rather like what we saw, snapshot-style -- unless we're shooting B&W or IR or false-color, or we're using the image as raw material for creative picture-making, or we otherwise want it to look somewhat different. Trying to make an image look like what we think we saw is certainly one approach, but many other options exist.

For instance: I may shoot something in high-contrast for posterization. Or I may shoot a rectangular subject at a very oblique angle, then use perspective correction to normalize that subject while grossly distorting everything else in the image. Or I may apply various geometric transformations. I may not care a whit what the original scene looks like, just so long as I can torture the image to my satisfaction. Et cetera.
05-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
I am a beginner, .....

...I think it is even better to shoot RAW since we can shoot faster, without caring about settings, and if we want to use some presettings with JPEG, we can also use
batch processing with RAW files.

Am I correct ?
It will depend on the situation obviously, but getting to the pressing of the shutter button is not always something you want to do quickly.
Some photos will require you to take some time. Stop and think about the scene a little more. I find things that slow down the process of getting to that point generally help me think about composition, lighting, and camera settings more before I press the shutter, as a result I have improved my end results. Especially in scenes that will test the Dynamic range of the sensor which you might not be able to pull back in PP. (One reason I love manual aperture and focus lenses)

The more that you think about the scene, and the more often you do so, the faster you will get at identifying settings needed.
05-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #49
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
One can always do post processing but it sure is great when one shoots one directly right ON.

We can certainly make a just pre cartoon/art post processed picture but there is so much joy when one takes a picture raw that can directly go into our library.