Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately the K10 meter has apparently been calibrated with the L60 screens from the istD/s.
It does not work correctly with the new L80 screens.
This only begins to show at apertures smaller than 4 (stopped down).

The result of this is that when you use a manual lens and stop it down below 4 you will get overexposure up to two stops. It depends a bit on the focal length and the overall lighting.
Basically what you will experience is that when the meter in Av says:
1/2000, 1/1000, 1/500, 1/250, 1/125 ...
in M (really stopped down) it goes something like this:
1/2000, 1/800, 1/250, 1/100, 1/60 ...

To overcome this problem, change the screen from L80 to L60.
It works. I tested it.

Last edited by blende8; 01-16-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typo
01-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
I am with you on that one Albert. I am trying so hard to learn all the functions and have taken members advice and place the shutter speed on the front e-dial. Sometimes remembering all the stuff makes me dizzy......... You make mention of using the aperature ring, I know on my old super, in manual mode you would change the aperature setting and it would adjust the shutter speed. Will that work with the K10D. I am not to sure haow valuable that EV scale is as well. I took some shots last night and noticed that when the EV scale said I was in proper exposure, I was propably overexposed by about three stops. I only have one full manual lens so maybe I should not be so concerned about it. The rube is though at the price lens are now, In order to get your hands on good glass at a reasonable price, you have to go manual. To be honest, I prefer manual over AF. I trust my eyes more than I trust some sensor in the camera........
Hey, Saskabush resident, I'm with you on the manual exposure. It is particularly useful in difficult lighting conditions that don't change, such as when there is lots of snow around (and boy, do we have snow!). My starting point for exposure in snowy conditions is to switch to manual and overexpose the snow by 1.5 - 2 stops. I then leave the camera like that. It has worked very well for film, and now I just have to tweak it for the digital world.

I have not found the dof preview exposure to be off much. I think that you have to completely ignore the green button system for non - A lenses and use only the dof preview method. The camera cannot see what you have set on the lens at all unless the lens has the A position on the aperture ring. There are no electrical contacts to guide the camera body, and the "crippled" mount does not have the connection for the mechanical follower.

I metered this shot (Link below) with spot metering and the dof preview. It was as shown from the first shot taken.

K10D Mule Deer Doe 400_5.6-11 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!