Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to have EV Bar remain on in M mode???

Hey all, First post here. Does anyone have any insight on how to get the EV Bar to show up while in M mode using older Pentax-M lenses? I've searched high and low and can't comeup with an answer either way. (Or even just have the darn thing remain on ALL the time?)

Also, does the AE-Lock button function or serve any purpose while using one of these older lenses? (I know that button is used for stopping the aperture down and getting the camera to set the shutter while metering on the K100d, but on the K10d the "green" button serves that purpose. Just wondering what the AE-Lock button might do in this case.)

Thanks for any help, thoughts or witty anecdotes!

Cheers,

Kevin in Seattle

01-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Press the optical preview.
01-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Hey all, First post here. Does anyone have any insight on how to get the EV Bar to show up while in M mode using older Pentax-M lenses? I've searched high and low and can't comeup with an answer either way. (Or even just have the darn thing remain on ALL the time?)

Also, does the AE-Lock button function or serve any purpose while using one of these older lenses? (I know that button is used for stopping the aperture down and getting the camera to set the shutter while metering on the K100d, but on the K10d the "green" button serves that purpose. Just wondering what the AE-Lock button might do in this case.)

Thanks for any help, thoughts or witty anecdotes!

Cheers,

Kevin in Seattle
Since you have to put the camera on Manual and you are in total control, EV or AE-lock serves nothing to you, so they will not work, they are not needed.
01-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahhhhhh. Thank you blend8!! To bad I can't just have it on, since that makes it so you cannot check dof in the lcd if you like, but works for me nonetheless.

And thanks Busiko.. I know the AE_lock fucntion isn't needed, I just wondered if that button could double for any other function.. I didn't see anything configurable in the menus but thought I may have missed it.

01-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Forum Member

does that work with firmware 1.3. I tried Optital preview but still cannot acces the EV bar.
01-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dresden_phoenix Quote
does that work with firmware 1.3. I tried Optital preview but still cannot acces the EV bar.
It works.

- You have an M lens, or an A lens not set to A?
- Aperture ring enabled in the menu?
- You are in M mode?
01-15-2008, 02:02 AM   #7

I didn't know that. Great tip blendem8! Going to be very useful for shooting quicker.

Green button -> Optical preview -> adjust aperture ring if exposure settings change quickly (to adapt)

01-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the K10D and *istD you select the Depth of Field Preview and it activates the metering scale and shows where you are set with the lens stopped down.

I suspect that this cannot be perminent because it would require the apature stop down lever to be activated all the time, hence requiring power.
01-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #9

Actually I don't think the optical preview needs any battery power at all. You need to hold the button and it just might be the case that this holding of the button keeps up the mechanical switch on the lens.

Even if it'd cost power, it's probably not that much

You can keep it on as long as you'd like / you could hold your finger on the 'trigger'
01-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

maybe not on my KX but I/m willing to bet it does on the K10D
01-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am confused here. I put a manual lens or an "A" lens on my K10D, put the camera in "M" mode and if the lens is an "A" lens take it off the A setting and manually put it in an F-stop. I have gone into the "Custom" menu and permitted the aperature ring. I do not ever get the EV bar. Going from left to right, I get the shutter speed underlined, F with two dashes, MF and then on the far right, the number of pictures available on the disk. No EV Bar. In order to get the shutter speed to change, I have to push the green button. What am I doing wrong? I get no EV bar that tells me if I am over or underexposed or can be adjusted.
01-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
I am confused here. I put a manual lens or an "A" lens on my K10D, put the camera in "M" mode and if the lens is an "A" lens take it off the A setting and manually put it in an F-stop. I have gone into the "Custom" menu and permitted the aperature ring. I do not ever get the EV bar. Going from left to right, I get the shutter speed underlined, F with two dashes, MF and then on the far right, the number of pictures available on the disk. No EV Bar. In order to get the shutter speed to change, I have to push the green button. What am I doing wrong? I get no EV bar that tells me if I am over or underexposed or can be adjusted.
You need to make sure that your Depth of Field Preview is in mechanical mode. When you take the on/off/O button to the O, you should hear the lens stop down, and the viewfinder will get dark, except for the nice under/over exposure scale that will magically show up.

The green button trick does not work on the K10D - you use the DOF preview instead.
01-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Albert, thanks for the response. I put it into optical mode and it worked. It's a little bit tough sledding keeping the DOV switch activated at the same time as trying to change the EV values with the front E-dial.......Do you usually keep your DOV in optical or digital?
01-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Albert, thanks for the response. I put it into optical mode and it worked. It's a little bit tough sledding keeping the DOV switch activated at the same time as trying to change the EV values with the front E-dial.......Do you usually keep your DOV in optical or digital?
Mine is always optical. I grew up with one of those. I have even turned off the instant replay on the LCD. If I want to look at the image, I only have to push one button.

If I am wearing gloves, it can be a pain to use the front edial and the dof at the same time. However, you could consider the way we used to do it - use the aperture ring. You could always switch the edial functions to move the shutter speed to the back dial. I've considered doing this, but am learning so much other stuff I have not yet tried switching them.
01-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am with you on that one Albert. I am trying so hard to learn all the functions and have taken members advice and place the shutter speed on the front e-dial. Sometimes remembering all the stuff makes me dizzy......... You make mention of using the aperature ring, I know on my old super, in manual mode you would change the aperature setting and it would adjust the shutter speed. Will that work with the K10D. I am not to sure haow valuable that EV scale is as well. I took some shots last night and noticed that when the EV scale said I was in proper exposure, I was propably overexposed by about three stops. I only have one full manual lens so maybe I should not be so concerned about it. The rube is though at the price lens are now, In order to get your hands on good glass at a reasonable price, you have to go manual. To be honest, I prefer manual over AF. I trust my eyes more than I trust some sensor in the camera........