Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #1

first thoughts and some photos

first order of business...for those of you who read my post about the scam...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/17486-backorder-issues.html

yes i got my money back and reordered the pentax k100d super on monday with B&H Photo. got the camera yesterday and love it now onto the questions and comments...

i like to take pics then use them straight from the camera and set them as the background of my desktop(hopefully this will change when i learn how to modify the pics to make them look better). so w/ that being said, i usually have a 1400X1050 resolution on my laptop. also i want to post up some of the better photos i shoot w/ little to no postshoot development on the computer. is the 1.5 megapixel "recorded pixels" setting adequate to make them look great for most web forums like local car forums or on here? or should i bump it up to 3m?

next question... i bought a UV filter, and am thinking about buying the circular polarizer. what type of shots/subjects would net the best results by using either of these? would you recommend me keeping the UV filter on at all times, except for when i use the circular polarizer?

and now some first pics. (no editing other than reducing the resolution)

as i was reading through the manual, i came upon the Aperature Priority and tried to reproduce the lil demo pic. they show.

you all should feel privileged, these are the first posted pics of my college graduation present...i shot this in the preset landscape mode...

captured in the sunset scene

i took this in aperature priority mode, although i can see that it made no difference because of the depth of the subject and backdrop. hey at least im learning

i'm sure there will be more to come, and please critiques and praise are all welcomed

Last edited by wrxwheelman; 01-12-2008 at 10:25 PM.
01-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #2

Original Poster
edited: smaller pics up now
01-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

good shots...

ie posting on forums..your shots are huge...!
im using 1280x1024 res, and i still need to scroll sideways....

resize to max 1024x728 dimensions...

i usually denote that the image may have been degraded during resize..for the most part, it looks ok, and everyone will see the image (as you may have intended it to be)..but some fine detail might get lost....
others post a small version, then link it to a bigger version....

as for filters. I usuall never take off my uv....to the lot of us in here, it's lens protection. some say it degrades image quality, but...to me, it's very very minimal if any...and id rather ding up a filter thats 50-100 bux than a lens worth a few hundred....

i do, however take it off when i put my circ polarizer....

as for the polarizer..it reduces haze, reflection.....makes skies bluer....
in short..daytime outdoors......but..your free to try it anytime anywhere...
01-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
Forum Member

Very nice car =P

01-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wrxwheelman Quote
is the 1.5 megapixel "recorded pixels" setting adequate to make them look great for most web forums like local car forums or on here? or should i bump it up to 3m?
I always shoot at the highest resolution, then resize down to what I need. You can always reduce the image size, but you can only increase it by a little bit before loosing quality.
01-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
nice pics of your ride! a friend of mine had a wrx that he did some suspension mods w/ lighter wheels and stickier tires and WOW! amazing levels of grip! just be careful... too many people think since it has much more grip their than previous cars that it's ok to throw caution to the wind. congrats on your purchases... looks like you'll have a couple of hobbies to occupy yourself!
01-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #7

wheelman congrats on the camera & the WRX. I'm assuming you may be posting on the NASIOC forums as well? when shooting on a really bright day with your car, i highly suggest bringing along a polarizer to get rid of those nasty glares and get some great detail on the body of the car, it's a small investment that should 'up' the quality and control of the image you're trying to produce.

Anyways, not to highjack the thread but i thought i'd share some of pics of my 07' impreza and other subaru's i've shot in the past!! BTW, shots were taken with a Pentax IST DL and I've recently upgraded to a K10D

01-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
actually im trying to keep my car as big of a secret as i can, i just couldnt take it anymore, especially when i got my new camera. i've had it since the day after my birthday!, oct. 6th and am pretty excited to finally own it and show it off to the locals and nasioc and the like...ya i saw your post on nasioc a while back..the 2nd shot there...i love what you did with the GC. you need to show me how to do that sometime.
01-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wrx: nice shots. totally OT but in that first shot is that an OHM speaker in the background. If so, very nice indeed. I have had a set of OX2's great speakers for those looking for something different with incredible sound quality. sorry for the rambling...

m
01-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Wrx: nice shots. totally OT but in that first shot is that an OHM speaker in the background. If so, very nice indeed. I have had a set of OX2's great speakers for those looking for something different with incredible sound quality. sorry for the rambling...

m
yes they are OHM, actually i took some close ups of the little emblem on the speaker but i need to work on my technique i think, they didnt turn out very well. my dad is really into audio stuff, or used to be.