Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What does 'in camera' HDR do?

I saw my Penatx has a setting for HDR. How does this compare to HDR where 5 or 6 exposures are made and combined PP?

Thanks

04-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I saw my Penatx has a setting for HDR. How does this compare to HDR where 5 or 6 exposures are made and combined PP?

Thanks
No doubt, it depends very much upon the range. Sometimes 3 exposures suffice to get usable results, sometimes you need more to get a decent representation of all levels.

I guess most "real" HDR photographers wouldn't rely on an entirely automated process, and they would most likely also do some additional post-processing. I should say that in-camera HDR is a "nice to have" (at least to play with) but certainly not a "must have" feature. Nonetheless I have been pleasantly surprised to discover how well it has worked in certain situations with my K-5.
04-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
It seems to work well enough for a "quick and dirty" (when pushed for time) approach for balancing interior shots with the scenes outside the windows.
04-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
What does 'in camera' HDR do?
Ruin your photo

No, seriously. It's just a gimmick filter that flattens the contrast and applies some sharpening. Actual HDR is only achieved with multiple exposures.

For real HDR (not Photoshop filters) please check the seminal work that was released on SIGGRAPH about this technique:

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~danix/hdr/pages/memorial.html

04-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
It's just a gimmick filter that flattens the contrast and applies some sharpening. Actual HDR is only achieved with multiple exposures.
I think the OP was talking about the HDR capture mode, not the filter. This mode takes three images bracketed at -3ev, ev, +3ev and combines them into a single jpeg.

Admittedly not the same as taking 5 or more images and combining them in proper HDR software, but not a filter. As noted above the images are acceptable for some definition of acceptable. And in some situations allow you to get a shot that would be impossible otherwise. The mode includes an auto-align switch which allows you to use it off tripod and still get results.
04-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

@hcarvalhoalves... On the K-r, at least, it does combine multiple images. It doesn't always do it well , but it's at least "true" HDR.
04-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think the OP was talking about the HDR capture mode, not the filter. This mode takes three images bracketed at -3ev, ev, +3ev and combines them into a single jpeg.
You're correct. In addition to the HDR "filter" the K-r introduces a HDR "mode". In that case it's actual HDR, but there are different possible HDR algorithms (tonal mapping, contrast reduction, etc.) that optimize to reduce visual artifacts (like halos). Given each one yields different results, it's always better to use a dedicated software. The in-camera HDR will be limited to the fastest algorithm, which is not necessarly the best one.

04-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Ruin your photo

No, seriously. It's just a gimmick filter that flattens the contrast and applies some sharpening. Actual HDR is only achieved with multiple exposures.

For real HDR (not Photoshop filters) please check the seminal work that was released on SIGGRAPH about this technique:

Stanford Memorial Church
It's not just a gimmick filter. It takes three separate exposures and combines them and tonemaps them.
04-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's OK. I find that the in camera HDR does a pretty good job with high contrast scenes. If you use it on the wrong scene though, it can end up with odd, too flat results. I prefer to take five exposures and do the adjustment myself in photomatix, but certainly for, say, someone doing real estate photography, who wants pretty quick, half way decent HDR, it would certainly work.