Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Question about battery contacts

A question regarding the battery contacts on the D-LI90 and D-LI109 batteries: The + and - contacts are obvious (these are the power contacts), but what is the purpose of the T and D (D-LI109 only) contacts? Sorry if the attached image isn't clear--this was shot with the DA L 18-55mm kit lens.

--DragonLord

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

T is temperature, you don't want these kind of batteries to run hot...
No idea what D is.
04-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not a clue on that D contact, but on the subject of batteries, I've found they charge MUCH better if you polish those contacts a bit before plopping it in the charger. They seem to have a tendency to develop a thin, almost invisible tarnish on them that interferes with charging.
04-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Further notes: The K-5 battery chamber has no T contact, but the D-LI90 charger does. The K-5 battery does not have a D contact. The K-r battery chamber has a T contact, but not a D contact; all contacts are present on the D-LI109 charger.

--DragonLord

07-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but after reading this thread, it seems that a newer version of the D-LI90, called D-LI90P, is shipping with the K-30. This variant, and its associated charger, have a D contact. Any idea what this contact does?

--DragonLord
07-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a bad translation from Pentax Japan on why it is out (apparently a new Japanese electrical safety standard)
no idea what it does for you though. I imagine for consistency all new items going forward will have it though (a lot of other batteries have 4 contacts for a long time, my Oly e300 battery is 4 contacts)

QuoteQuote:
Dear customer,

ペンタックスリコー Imaging co., Ltd.

Digital SLR cameras for lithium-ion batteries and Chargers
Revision of electrical appliance safety law for

Continued support to the Pentax product special patronage, thank you. On some digital SLR camera for the lithium-ion rechargeable and charger, based on this time, that enhanced 11/20/2011 Japan domestic electrical appliance safety law following the communal! potemayo announces that friendly.
Changes you make to products and lithium-ion rechargeable "D-LI90" → "D-LI90P" ※ change
-Battery charging Kit 90 J K-BC → change the "K-BC90PJ"

Is the PENTAX 645, "PENTAX k-5" and end of production PENTAX k-7 accessories
※ (1860 MAh) capacity is same as conventional products. Use "K-BC90PJ" to "D-LI90P" charge.

Sold separately as accessories is scheduled to start from 1/27/2012.

Note that comes with the PENTAX K-r lithium-ion is outstanding fit is so battery charger and rechargeable "D-LI109" Kit 109 J K-BC regarding this time of revision of electrical appliance safety law there is no change.
In addition, domestic and manufacturing imports have been the 11/19/2011 replacement Li-ion will continue regarding the rechargeable "D-LI50" (for PENTAX K10D/K20D) sale.

Please contact on this matter is below

Pentax customer contact center TEL. 0570-001323 [contact]
07-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I might know the answer: the D is for digital communication with the camera and/or charger. The older D-LI90 was essentially a "dumb" battery, and adding digital communication capability can help increase the safety of the battery.

--DragonLord

07-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I might know the answer: the D is for digital communication with the camera and/or charger. The older D-LI90 was essentially a "dumb" battery, and adding digital communication capability can help increase the safety of the battery.

--DragonLord
and like the sony could add proprietary stuff to make it harder for the cheap chinese knockoffs to duplicate.
07-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
and like the sony could add proprietary stuff to make it harder for the cheap chinese knockoffs to duplicate.
How many times have there been fires or other hazards due to non-genuine batteries? I suppose you've seen it in the news...

This is why I only use genuine OEM batteries in my electronic equipment.

Check out this article from the Battery Association of Japan: BAJ Website | The proper and safe handling of lithium-ion secondary batteries

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-04-2012 at 08:19 AM.
07-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
How many times have there been fires or other hazards due to non-genuine batteries? I suppose you've seen it in the news...

This is why I only use genuine OEM batteries in my electronic equipment.

Check out this article from the Battery Association of Japan: BAJ Website | The proper and safe handling of lithium-ion secondary batteries

--DragonLord
You do of course realise that many of the non oem batteries come off the same line as the oem. Pentax does not make batteries they contract it out. I've used both without issue,
07-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand that cells are binned the same way semiconductor devices are, with only the best cells selected for OEM use, but the assembly of the cells into a battery, including the addition of protection circuitry, aren't necessarily performed by the same factory.

--DragonLord