Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #1

*ist DL Picture issues

Hello - I am new to this site and have just purchased a second hand Pentax *ist DL camera...it was working fine but since my son used it last it will not register any pictures i take on the card. I replaced and put a new card in but everytime I take a picture the image does not register it just show the delete sysbol and says delete in the viewing monitor on camera. Does any one know why this might be happening? I downloaded and printed off the manual but I can not find this problem there anywhere - any help would be greatly appreciated.

04-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it in manual mode? It might be underexposing to the point where the image is completely black.

The *ist DL is quite old (and bad, frankly), so its age could be to blame if the problem isn't resolved when you put the camera in P mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for getting back to me Adam....it is set to Auto picture ..and was working perfect when i received it. I was wondering if there was some change to a setting that might be causing the pictures not to register on the card....I know the card is ok as I am using it in another camera.
04-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Try using it in P mode (or some of the other modes) to see what happens. What type of batteries are you using? I've heard reports of the istDL's not playing nice with AA alkalines. Rechargeables, such as Eneloops work well with these models. Good luck.

04-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
I have tried many different modes but still getting the same display in viewer window. It shows the garbage can with the word delete next to it. This camera says *ist D on front but has *ist DL on label on bottom so I am not sure if its D or DL. We do not any a dealer store in the area where I live so I may have to send it for appraisal to fix and see if it is worth spending the money to fix it. The batteries are the ones that came with it...there are two sets of two complete with chargers.
04-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Adam Is right If the image is to dark it will say delete at the bottom of a black screen. I just tried it with a M 50mm shutter at 10 image looks black, like no image was taken, and Delete shows up strong. I does't work trying it with the cap on the lens It says no image. I tried to be sure of the no image.
It might be old tech but I have learn a ton with mine. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I have mine
04-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

You replied while I was typing I would try a different setting such as landscape or portrait . I don't know of a setting off hand that will keep the camera from regestering to the card. did you try formatting it to the DL
Yes the DL is crazy when it come to batteries Mine likes Duracell regular or rechargeable. It won't work with energizers. Others I have heard are the opposite. Seems each one has a brand it prefers.
04-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Some possible things to try:

1. The *istDS shows the same DELETE screen when the image is grossly underexposed. Set a 1 sec shutter speed, point the camera at yourself, snap a picture to ensure the lens aperture leafs, mirror and shutter are working properly.

2. Remove the batteries for two days and then go to the CUSTOM menu section and select the last line item "RESET CUSTOM FNCTION" to clear any unintended settings and revert to default mode.

3. Copy a previously good image from that camera back onto the SD card and see if the camera will display it on the LCD to help isolate the problem to recording or playback modes.

4. Do a firmware upgrade procedure.

** Check the PF Camera Review section for descriptive images of the *ist D and DL bodies -- e.g.,

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
/showfull.php?product=48&bigimage=istD_100507_08k_ex.jpg

04-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Ole
Administrator

Have you checked that the little switch on the SD card is off the Lock position?

And that the second card is of the right type - SD (SDHC is only supported with a firmware upgrade)?
04-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
And that the second card is of the right type - SD (SDHC is only supported with a firmware upgrade)?
I remembered the upgrade while reading Pacerr's post. My DL would not work with any card larger than a 1 gig till I did the upgrade
04-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi, Ali
Take a few shots then select one first by pressing the lower blue button. (you should be able to click back through past shots by pressing the left arrow)
Now press INFO one time. That should show the histogram. Next INFO press shows exif and shot number
If the histo is all at the left sidet and exif data/ shot number exists most likely means image was written.
If the histo is all at the left, that could mean the sensor has failed ( I had one like that). Lets hope its not that bad
04-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
You replied while I was typing I would try a different setting such as landscape or portrait . I don't know of a setting off hand that will keep the camera from regestering to the card. did you try formatting it to the DL
Yes the DL is crazy when it come to batteries Mine likes Duracell regular or rechargeable. It won't work with energizers. Others I have heard are the opposite. Seems each one has a brand it prefers.
I have the *Ist D, and I just discovered that it doesn't like Eneloop or Maha rechargeables. I've switched to CR-V3s permanently. (;

Last edited by keyofnight; 04-16-2012 at 11:38 PM.
04-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Try using it in P mode (or some of the other modes) to see what happens. What type of batteries are you using? I've heard reports of the istDL's not playing nice with AA alkalines. Rechargeables, such as Eneloops work well with these models. Good luck.
It is in fact written in the *ist DL manual not to use alkaline batteries, only NiMH and lithium, and CR-V3 for longer autonomy (though not recommended to use them all the time).