Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #1

shooting RAW

When I shoot in RAW with my camera, the pictures don't show up on my computer after I transfer them. Any ideas why?
Thanks,
Amanda

01-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #2

you need to use the Pentax photo browser software that came w/ your camera.
01-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

use a RAW processing software..there are many out there to choose from...once you process them and have each photo tweaked just the way you like, you can save as a jpeg and open with any photo package. Make sure you know which format of RAW you are shooting (DNG or PEF).

Jas
01-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AmandaJL Quote
When I shoot in RAW with my camera, the pictures don't show up on my computer after I transfer them. Any ideas why?
Thanks,
Amanda

you don't say how you are tranfering them or what software you are using. Some softwere
only displays .jpg files on the file display, so they could be there and not seen.

likewise you may not have software that can handle the raw file format.

I've been using Adobe photoshop elements, and had to upgrade from an older version
because older version couldn't handle the file size of the raw files coming off the K10. In any event your issue is likely computer software related, not camera related.

01-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The Pentax photo browser has got to be the worst software that I've ever tried, so I wouldn't recommend it

You can try FastStone, Irfanview or even Picasa for free.

I've also used GIMP, with their UFRAW plugin, along with several other free programs you can download for free.
01-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

You also do not tell us what OS/version are you using.

There are add-ins that will allow you to see PEF files in the native OS file systems, but these add-ins OS/version specific. Some of the add-ins are from the OS vendor, some are third party and one is from PENTAX - but only functions on MS Vista.

We need just a little more information.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
01-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Once you get Photoshop working this should not be a problem. You could try some demos as mentioned before of programs like DxO Len Lab, Bible Pro, SilkyPix, CaptureOne, or Lightroom to name a few. Which one you pick is mainly a matter of personal preference. There are some free options like using UFRaw with GIMP (if you can get it to work). Just some ideas.

01-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #8

microsoft has a plugin

microsoft has a plugin to view raw files in thumbnails. I have it on my laptop works great.

Woody,
01-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My dinosaur of a computer can't run any programs that recognize PEF files, so I have to convert to DNG (you K10 users have it so easy) before I can do anything with them. Your problem might be similar.
01-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
My dinosaur of a computer can't run any programs that recognize PEF files, so I have to convert to DNG (you K10 users have it so easy) before I can do anything with them. Your problem might be similar.
It's really difficult to tell what the OPs problem is as they provided far too little information however regarding your dinosaur I'd be surprised if ThumbsPlus couldn't display the latests PEF on your machine so long as you aren't still running WFWG3.11 or W95 ;-).

Thumbnails - ThumbsPlus Version 7

Cheers,
01-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Picasa will display your raw photos in PEF and DNG and it a free download from Google.
01-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's look at the OP's possible issues one at a time.

if the image does not show up at all even with file explorer, either
- it is not there, or
- the file explorer options are set to not show it, or
- the transfer goes to a directory that the OP does not know about. In this case all images would be in the same unknown location

If the image is not there, one could question then how the image was transferred, and with what software. it may be that the software is not programmed to accept PEF as image files.

If you are using a photo browser, the same applies. The image might be there but the browser does not recognize it.

You also need to consider that it may be present, but simply a thumbnail cannot be displayed because windows does not recognize the PEF format (or most camera makers raw formats)
01-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
The Pentax photo browser has got to be the worst software that I've ever tried, so I wouldn't recommend it
Hi Little Laker,

I've seen much worse.

I use it for a quick check of the PEF photos in a directory, it does an adequate job of displaying thumbnails and showing the file info. Beyond that I use other programs.
01-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AmandaJL Quote
Amanda,

I'm assuming (on the basis of percentages) that you're using Windows XP SP2 and that your raw image files are either PEF or DNG files.

And like the others who've already replied, I also assume that you mean that you can't see your raw files in the Windows Explorer, either as thumbnails or as full images in the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. The reason you cannot view your raw files there is that Windows does not automatically have the ability to display PEF raw files. Actually I don't think it can automatically display DNG images, either.

You certainly can view your raw files in any number of software programs that are designed to display raw files and which support PEF and/or DNG files. These would include the Pentax software that came with your camera, as well as all the rest of the major raw processing applications, such as Adobe Lightroom, Bibble, Light Crafts LightZone, Photoshop CS3 or CS2, etc. Even Picasa (free from Google) can display PEF files, although Picasa does not read the EXIF info for most raw files.

Generally, I don't worry about viewing my raw images in the Windows explorer. However, if you wish to, there is a little utility that you can download which will do the trick. You can get it here:

dpMagic - Products

Will
01-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
once you process them and have each photo tweaked just the way you like, you can save as a jpeg and open with any photo package.
To emphasise the point being made here: If you think you will be tweaking the image at some later date, then save the image in a format other than JPG, such as TIFF. This will preserve image data.

Saving to JPG distills the image by deleting a certain amount of unnecessary data (that is, data that is needed for further image adjustment). The more times a file is saved as a JPG, the more data that is deleted, limiting your ability to make further subtle adjustments.