Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #61
Veteran Member

@madbrain you might try installing RAW codec for windows and use windows automatic importing. then it would import DNGs along with the JPEGs, I guess.

06-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
@madbrain you might try installing RAW codec for windows and use windows automatic importing. then it would import DNGs along with the JPEGs, I guess.
Do you mean these ?

PENTAX RAW codec software for Windows : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

They only work for PEF as far as I know, not DNG .

Also, they only work on 32 bit Windows :-( I have been running 64 bit Windows for 4.5 years.
06-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #63
Veteran Member

When using Nikon I had an x64 version of it running. I remember installing an all-around RAW package which would recognize RAW formats of several brands. Try look for that It's in microsoft site.
06-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
When using Nikon I had an x64 version of it running. I remember installing an all-around RAW package which would recognize RAW formats of several brands. Try look for that It's in microsoft site.
Do you mean this one ?

It appears to do PEF but not DNG .

Download: Microsoft Camera Codec Pack - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

I found this one which does both :

FastPictureViewer Codec Pack: PSD, CR2, NEF, DNG RAW codecs (and more) for Windows 7, Vista and XP

But it is $14.95 .

I installed it, seems like it's allowing Windows import to work. But Windows import is not as good as the Zoombrowser import, I cannot select Year\Month\File .

Maybe some registry hacking can help .. sigh.

How to change import settings when importing photos - Microsoft Answers

I wish 3rd party programs had a good importing function.

06-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I wish 3rd party programs had a good importing function.
Looks like after shot does have one through the Batch output function. It's very poorly documented - I only found out about it when going to the Corel forums. It cannot be automated upon inserting the card, though.
06-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #66
Veteran Member

@madbrain - this is the one I'm using. It handles thumbnailing and makes DNGs available to Windows Photo Viewer. The only thing I use to import is the old CTRL+C/V so I'm not sure if it'll help for that.
06-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
@madbrain - this is the one I'm using. It handles thumbnailing and makes DNGs available to Windows Photo Viewer. The only thing I use to import is the old CTRL+C/V so I'm not sure if it'll help for that.
Thanks, I downloaded it, it seems to work.

I uninstalled the commercial codec package and installed the free Microsoft one also that claims to support PEF .
But that Microsoft package doesn't appear to really work, I can't see PEFs .

I think I will live with the Aftershot import function, it is actually quite powerful, except for the fact that you can't automate it upon card insertion.
08-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Thanks, I downloaded it, it seems to work.

I uninstalled the commercial codec package and installed the free Microsoft one also that claims to support PEF .
But that Microsoft package doesn't appear to really work, I can't see PEFs .

I think I will live with the Aftershot import function, it is actually quite powerful, except for the fact that you can't automate it upon card insertion.
I use Picasa for importing. Shove the card in the reader, Picasa import window pops up. It detects duplicates. I can select by date, or individual pics. I can see thumbnails of all images. I specify the destination directory (this is slightly cumbersome) and let it rip.

Once everything has been imported, I can continue with Picasa or use an alternative package.

My 0.02; hope this helps.