Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use Lightroom, I occasionally Export to Tiff for more complicated editing tasks in Photoshop CS5 but that is a rare occurrence. I also use a Wacom Intuos 4 graphics tablet, I'll admit i'm taking a look at the Intuos 5 series. I would just love to have a Cintiq 24HD....

04-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #47

Which software for RAW inport and process.

Lightroom 3.6 for 95% of my post-production and Photoshop for any detail work or cloning needed. Once I had climbed the steep Lightroom workflow learning curve I found it quick, easy and effective to use for all of my RAW work until the shots are exported as jpeg's. Then for viewing the exported jpeg's I now use the Faststone Image Viewer after many years of using ThumbsPlus. I will probably buy Lightroom 4 shortly as some of the new features will be useful.
04-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #48
Forum Member

+1 for using Faststone Image Viewer to view RAW files. I shoot Pentax DNG's and Olympus and Panasonic RAW files, and Faststone handles them all pretty well. >> link to Faststone

Then for processing I use CS5 about 90% of the time, and Lightroom once in a while.
04-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I use Lightroom, I occasionally Export to Tiff for more complicated editing tasks in Photoshop CS5 but that is a rare occurrence. I also use a Wacom Intuos 4 graphics tablet, I'll admit i'm taking a look at the Intuos 5 series. I would just love to have a Cintiq 24HD....
You and me both!

I am rather comfortable with my Intuos 4 and cannot see myself changing now that I am used to it

04-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Am I the only one that uses Adobe Bridge to browse my RAWs before opening them in ACR/Photoshop (CS5)? Should I be using Lightroom instead? I've never used Lightroom, and instead do all of my editing in ACR and Photoshop.
I used to think Bridge was the only way to go and just pp my images in ACR, but now that LR has come on board and I am learning it pretty well, my workflow seems uninterrupted because I don't have to load each photo up (or even a batch of photos) one by one and switch back and forth to bridge, the flow in LR is way smoother and less time consuming. I know where all my images are with the cataloging file system(I for one am one unorganized individual, and once I learned LR I found a system that helps me keep all my images in control, otherwise my HD would be filled with several copies of my images strewn all around my computer) I like having just one image file and LR keeps all that in check on my system.
05-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #51

I import (copy and paste) my images manually from my camera's memory card into the appropriate folders on my second hard drive. then I immediately reformat my memory card in the camera.

I shoot RAW only as a DNG. I edit my RAW/DNG images with DXO Optics Pro 7.5, which supports both PEF and DNG formats, as well as most other RAW formats. I have Capture One, Lightroom and ACR in Photoshop CS5, but I find DXO Optics Pro a better fit for me. I then edit images as a 16 bit TIFF in Photoshop and use Topaz DeNoise to tame noisy images.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Don
05-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #52
Forum Member

My vote is for Lightroom. Designed for Photographers!

05-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #53

I use lightroom and adobe raw
05-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Corel Aftershot. It runs quickly and has a good feature set for adjusting and cataloging.
06-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use dcraw and gimp. They're free and do everything I need to do, and then some. I use linux, but there are Windows versions as well.
06-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Corel Aftershot. It runs quickly and has a good feature set for adjusting and cataloging.
Thanks. Just bought this over the weekend at Fry's. It's on sale this week.

It is indeed really fast, I catalogged all 16k of my images last night. They display extremely fast.
The Noise Ninja is great, too.

Paired with Corel paint shot pro which I bought a few weeks ago, this seems to be a powerful combination.
06-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used LR since 2.0, now with LR4.1. I use Faststone Image Viewer to quickly review RAW files, as my meager 4GB laptop is slow on the import. Once I find the keepers, import into LR. It's very powerful, and you can play/experiment to your heart's content as it is non-destructive to the original image. The Publish feature makes it easy to post to Flickr; the new version has a book-making module (either PDF or via Blurb) that looks interesting. Free to try for 30 days.
06-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LR 4.1 for me. I do less and less in Photoshop every day. I do need to get me se topaz denoise though....

Maybe somethings wrong with my k5 or my settings.... but even at lower iso's o get stupid amounta of noise when I go 1:1
06-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #59
Veteran Member

For browsing RAWs, I use FastStone. I am just amazed how many people knows and uses it. If I am on my own computer I use PS CS5 or 6 and CR for editing. Nothing else. If on a crappy PC I use FastStone for editing too.
06-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I still don't have a satisfactory answer for the "import files from the card to hard drive" task.

For JPEG files, I can use the Windows autoplay and let it import files automatically. Or I can use another program which does the same thing, in my case Canon's Zoom browser.

I have configured Zoom browser to import files into a tree based on shooting date contained within JPEG with a pattern of
drive:\directory\Year\Month\*.JPG .
I have all my pictures stored this way for the past 12 years.
Zoombrowser can also automatically import Canon CR2 RAW files from my T3i .
The way I have configured it, all this happens instantly when I insert the card into any of my readers.

However, neither the Windows import function nor Zoombrowser's know anything about DNG or PEF files, and they will not import them to the hard drive.

I tried Pentax digital camera utility 4. The "easy transfer" option doesn't do much except copy the whole tree from the card under card:\DCIM to a selected directory on the hard drive. This results in many directories such as "100_0602", "101_0604" , etc.

Is there any import tool that import image files to the hard drive in a similar way, but can also deal with DNG and PEF and not just JPEG ?

Corel AfterShot Pro has a catalogging function, but no import function.