Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Which software do you use to import and process RAW files ?

I must admit I have always been shooting JPEG files up to this point. All 20,000 of my shots with the K200D were JPEG.
I have been using Canon's Zoombrowser to import the images and review them. It is convenient as I just insert the card into the slot and everything automatically gets imported to my hard drive, and the card gets emptied.

It won't support PEF or DNG files, however. It will neither import them nor view them. It does import and view CR2 RAW files from my Canon T3i, but doesn't allow any edit.

So, which software do you use for the import of RAW files?
And which software do you use for processing them ?

04-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop.
Does it all.
You can always use Pentax's native RAW viewer/editor that came with your camera and edit your converted JPEGs as you have been now.
04-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
So, which software do you use for the import of RAW files?
And which software do you use for processing them ?
Aperture
Aperture (and some pluggins)

Both Aperture and Lightroom are terrific RAW cataloguing and editting programs. Download a copy and try it out.
04-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 and Faststone Image Viewer. Faststone is free for individual use. FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

04-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU).

PDCU is not the most friendly and conveniet, but it the cheapest and the image quality output is very good IMHO.
04-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Aperture
Aperture (and some pluggins)

Both Aperture and Lightroom are terrific RAW cataloguing and editting programs. Download a copy and try it out.
Ther is no trial download of Aperture anymore. This is a big mistake on Apple's part AFAIC.
04-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Lightroom. Reads PEF and DNG, catalogs and keywords, and has basic editing which works for 95% of my images. Export to Elements or GIMP for anything Lightroom doesn't do. It will read and empty your card, apply any presets you have setup for processing, rename your files, put them where you want and make a backup copy to an external disk all at the same time. Free trial available if you want to try. It does have a learning curve though depending on what you need to get out of it.
04-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lightroom here, I am just learning the organizing techniques which I find to be very handy and helpful once I understood it.
I like how all the work you do on your images is nondestructive to the original files.

04-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I use PDCU, usually only adjusting for very off WB or exposure.
The rest, I just process base on the camera jpg settings I've set on the camera.

I've been told numerous times that LR is the best out there for untouched RAW editing/browsing/cataloging.
Its just that I'm apprehensive about moving my 4yrs of stuff from Picasa to LR.
04-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #10

Lightroom 3.6.
04-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter

You will find all the possible answers in the previous threads on the subject in the digital processing/software section.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-17-2012 at 09:55 PM.
04-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Ther is no trial download of Aperture anymore. This is a big mistake on Apple's part AFAIC.
Hey you're right, it use to be available so I wonder when or why they made that change

Oh well, FWIW for <$100 though I think it is absurdly great value for a photography purchase, and it makes RAW photography even easier than JPEG.
04-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #13

Lightroom... even for a complete newbie like me, I managed to do some half decent result that I enjoy

And sorting, and new catalogs are awesome with easy upload to flickr/facebook makes sharing my photos a little easier as part of the work flow
04-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photoshop CS5 / bridge for me. I'm happy with what I have setup for keeping track of photos based on the filesystem / folder structure so having something categorize the photos for me gets away from what is working well. Photoshop does have a bit of a steep learning curve.....
04-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Lightroom for importing, cataloging and initial colour management, then into Photoshop for any editing I need to do.