Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Aside from that, and I know this opens a huge debate, what is the real need of full frame. From an ISO vs noise perspective, i would put the K5 with a current sensor against most full frame bodies with their 4 year old technology, the K5 has higher resolution, and therefore unless you are an ultra wide angle freak, or a shoot at F1.4 all the time person for portraits, it is a waste, in my opinion.
FF geometry allows for better DOF rendering. Personally, I think it is very subtle compared to the APS-C in the K-5, but there are those that obsess with it.

04-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I'll renew my suggestion that a cheap bare-bones GXR-PK-FF mountor would be more economically feasible for Pentax-Ricoh than would a standalone FF body. For one thing, it *could* be bare-bones because customers would have no expectation that it goes head-to-head with vastly more expensive FF dSLRs. If it used twin APS sensors, the mountor might cost under US$1k. Would that be tempting?
04-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No. The sensor in a FF camera costs 10-20 times that in an APS-C camera. That is why a 4 year old FF camera still retails at over $2000.
This isn't really the reason, though. The sensor in the $7500 FF D3x only cost about $450 more than the one used in the $1100 aps-c D7000. Right now, we may be looking at FF sensors at around $300 cost to the body manufacturer, if I remember Falk's numbers correctly.

Yes, Pentax (or anyone) could make and sell a bare-bones FF DSLR for less than $1500 and make a small profit on it, but at that price it would eat into their top-end aps-c space, they would have to lower the prices of their aps-c bodies, losing margin there, etc...

So in other words it's not in Canon or Nikon's best interest to do that, especially when the higher-margin, $3000 D800 for example is on backorder until probably late-summer.

A disruptive player like a Pentax who has less to lose could maybe do it, if they wanted to really shake things up, but they would have to sacrifice aps-c sales as well.

A body priced around $2200-2500 probably makes more sense for Pentax right now.