12-28-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Some K10D Jpeg samples ...

Here's some more at:

K10D and manual focus lens - FM Forums

12-28-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They're all very good (I'm not even biased because I'm from Pennsylvania) and you've been linked at dpreview, too.
Are you KIDDING ME!?....Phil, look at these K10D shots!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I had a VS1 28-90 that was quite good, but alas I sold it because it was too heavy and I had too many other lenses covering the focal length. But the shots were amazing! (Mine was a third series, might have been made by Kiron.)

--Sean
12-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot Lisa and I like some of the ones I saw over on the FM forum even better. And they say Pentax can't shoot sports!

NaCl(of course "they" say a lot of stuff which is complete hogwash)H2O
12-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for he comments

I was wondering if any of you know anything about teleconverters?

I was interested in either a 1.4, 1.7 or even 2.0

Can any of you tell me a little about the pros and cons of using one and which one's you prefer? I see some older ones by Pentax, some newer ones by Pentax and Sigma, Tokina, ect

any differences?

What can I expect?

thanks alot

12-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Lisa,
You may want to post a question in the lens forum. I'm sure you'll get a wealth of answers.
(I have the 1.7x teleconverter that actually makes manual focus lenses autofocus. It is OK, but I haven't tried it on the K10 yet.)

--Sean
12-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Lisa and glad you joined here. I saw you shots this morning and wow. Great work and read it took you some practice with that manual lens. Anyway, glad to see you here and hope to see more of your work with the K0. I am sure you will get direction about the TC and as Carpants suggested maybe post a question in the lens forum.

Welcome again
12-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok thanks...I will ask over there. However one quick question ....How does a 1.7 teleconverter actual make a manual focus lens into an autofocus lens?......thanks

btw, are you happy with your 1.7 images?
12-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

"I have the 1.7x teleconverter that actually makes manual focus lenses autofocus"

sounds good.. but i will be happy with the kenko 1.5 i have coming if it dosnt mess up the image quality too much and my auto focuse lenses still auto focus.. .. miracles i dont expect.. he he

trog

12-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Lisa, those shots were jaw dropping! Nice find on that lens and best of luck with your search for a TC.

Just so that I can get a feel for the range of the 210 mm, how far would you say you were from Crosby when you took that SS?
12-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alvin, The Crosby shot was a cropped image...to give you a better idea of how much I cropped and how far back I was, here is the full image

I would say the 210mm lens gives you 80% very good coverage of the ice.....I think 300mm would be perfect but only if it was a 100mm-300mm zoom lens because there are times when you want to capture the action from further away too. I was about 14 rows up from the front glass for the game
12-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Lisa, thanks for the heads up. That's a good amount for me. Almost the same as my p&s but mine are blurry all the time due to low iso and shutter lag.

Now correct me if I'm wrong... 1.7 TC that Carpents has + 70-210 mm Vivitar = 119-357mm (and I lose how many stops when I use TC?). Oh shoot, forgot the 1.5x factor to get 35mm equivalent (178-535mm?!?!) WOW! That is more than two times my old Fuji (38-228mm equivalent). Sorry guys. I'm suffering a touch of lens lust. Now if I can just convince the wife to go this route instead of the fisheye. (see here to explain)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/1839-my-lba-completed.html

12-29-2006, 06:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Lisa Curious about your PP work. The ise looks like ice. I have scene other shots that the person has had issues getting the color right but yours look very nice. Would you say this is becuase the camera got it right or did you have to do much PP work to get the WB or color correct?
12-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thats a good question,

my post process work didnt really require much.....some of the images needed a slight exposure increase of .25 stop

Then I ran an Auto Contrast correct

usually after that the image looks fine.......I may run 1 or 2 passes of unsharp mask at about 80% .03 0

All done in Photoshop CS or CS3 ( Beta )

Perhaps the camera does a very good job of capturing the Highlights before blowing them out?.....altho some may say that the K10D is actually limited in DR compared to other DSLRs....I dont know
12-29-2006, 09:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

the camera has done a very good job.. they are slightly under exposed which has helped it.. u cant bring back blown high lights..

the overall whiteness has caused the camera to expose lower.. with white against a darker background some minus e/v would be needed to avoid the whites blowing..

the images look slightly blue-ish to me.. not a criticism just a comment

trog