Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jt_cph_dk Quote
I would love to see a really sharp distant photo, say at 10-15M to infinity with a 28mm. WA. I have tried to make“m and not had success even with some really great lenses. Regards
I don't often shoot at long distances with the DS and manual lenses and the lack of full EXIF data or a personal need to keep a record make it impractical to keep track of specific lenses; but for what it's worth, I recall this was from a cropped S-M-C 35/3.5 on the DS. Under those conditions I was pleased with the results. Probably at f4 as I rarely shoot wide open given a choice.

H2

04-22-2012, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
The control wheel does seem a little balky on the *ist. Is that an easy DIY fix or a send in thing? Anyway, it seems good so far.
Do you mean that sometimes the dial does not change settings? If so, you can always invert the camera and spray some contact switch cleaner into the gap between the dial and the body. Work it a few times and let the contact cleaner evaporate. After some 2 years of dodgy operation, I revived my *ist DS to full functionality. That was over a year ago and it hasn't missed a beat yet. There are threads on this issue within the forum, somewhere.
04-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

You can't pixel-peep a 6mp shot for sharpness the same way you can a 12 or 16mp shot. Of course it's hard to judge that well from a jpg uploaded to the web, either . Maybe not the best example, but this was shot with an *istD & a cheap CPC 28mm/2.8 @f/8 - and this was accidentally set to the medium (3.5mp) setting!

Last edited by paulh; 04-22-2012 at 04:07 PM.
04-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Do you mean that sometimes the dial does not change settings? If so, you can always invert the camera and spray some contact switch cleaner into the gap between the dial and the body. Work it a few times and let the contact cleaner evaporate. After some 2 years of dodgy operation, I revived my *ist DS to full functionality. That was over a year ago and it hasn't missed a beat yet. There are threads on this issue within the forum, somewhere.
It changes settings most of the time, but sometimes goes the wrong way or resets the function back to "baseline". I'll check into those threads, thanks for the heads up!

Nick

04-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I recall this was from a cropped S-M-C 35/3.5 on the DS. Under those conditions I was pleased with the results. Probably at f4 as I rarely shoot wide open given a choice.
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
You can't pixel-peep a 6mp shot for sharpness the same way you can a 12 or 16mp shot. Of course it's hard to judge that well from a jpg uploaded to the web, either . Maybe not the best example, but this was shot with an *istD & a cheap CPC 28mm/2.8 @f/8 - and this was accidentally set to the medium (3.5mp) setting!
Good shots! Certainly good enough to print in the screen size.
Here is one of my best with the DS2 and wide angle lens

Pentax *ist DS2 RMC Tokina II 28/2.8 shot at 1/320 sec. f/7.1 Iso400 Contrast: High Sharpness: Hard
04-23-2012, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

I picked up a *istDS for my lad a few weeks back for £95 (paid another £19 for an FA80-200 and had a FA35-80 lying around, so he has a usable kit.)

At a family party on sunday I got better shots with his camera than with my own K-x... A very capable DSLR it is indeed...

For the price they can be obtained at (with patience), those on a tighter budget looking for a spare or second body should IMHO still consider it...