Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AE-Lock doesn't work on K10D - repair ideas?

Hey all,

The AE-Lock on my K10d doesn't work. I recently bought the camera slightly used and wasn't able to test it as I didn't have an auto lens at the time. Any clue how much a repair would cost...? Ugh. Love the cam. Too bad about this. It's not something I use all that often as I mostly shoot in manual, but still, while traveling that feature's pretty useful when you're just making quick snaps.

Cheers,
Kevin

01-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have the K10D so I can only guess. If there is no "click" when you push the button, it could be either the plastic pin was broken, or the camera top was not properly assembled so the pin and the switch wasn't lineup. If there is a "click", then something might be wrong with the switch or the circuit.
01-14-2008, 02:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Hey all,

The AE-Lock on my K10d doesn't work. I recently bought the camera slightly used and wasn't able to test it as I didn't have an auto lens at the time. Any clue how much a repair would cost...? Ugh. Love the cam. Too bad about this. It's not something I use all that often as I mostly shoot in manual, but still, while traveling that feature's pretty useful when you're just making quick snaps.

Cheers,
Kevin
Are you saying that the AE-Lock button does not work? Or does the AE-Lock not appear to have any effect even with the lock engaged?
01-14-2008, 03:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Assuming the 2nd condition, try resetting the camera to default settings, there is a menu option to do this. If that doesn't work, try removing the batteries, and letting the camera sit for at least 24 hours. Pop the batteries back in and see if that works. If not, off to Pentax with it.

01-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No, i believe the electronics work just fine. The button is not depressing and "clicking" as it should. It seems to be mechanical. Two local camera repair shops said the price would be around $200... Ugh. For a darn button. Looks like I should have waited for the next one.
01-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I assume they didn't actually disassemble the camera to give you a quote. If there is no click, either reassemble/resit the top, or replace the broken plastic button should fix it. Either option will be fast and cheap.
01-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmmmm... Are you suggesting that I could do it myself? I have to admit I'm not a whiz at mechanical/electrical devices but I'm not a dunce either. Just makes me nervous.

They didn't take it apart, no, but they didn't look at the button and felt what it's doing (which is nothing). Hmmm...
01-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's a simple enough DIY job if you manage to remove the top. The tricky part comes when assembling because there are a bunch of wires inside and if not careful, you might squeeze or cut some of them. To remove the top, simple remove all screws visible on the top, plus two near the flash, one underneath the rubber near the main dial, and one inside the battery compartment. Just be careful don't mix the screws or touch any part of the circuits and you should be fine. The #1 rule of camera repair, don't force anything. If you do, there is a good chance something will break. Good luck.

Last edited by wlachan; 01-14-2008 at 06:22 PM.
01-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If resetting the camera doesn't work, you might want to try the AE-L button on the grip. If you don't have one, see if you can borrow one. If it works on the grip, then it's probably not a settings issue and you're back to a broken button. Chances are they bashed it in and either pushed the button out of place, broke the part that presses down on to the switch/contact or broke the switch/contact.

Good luck with resolving the issue!