Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would be excited for an aps-h sensor, but I don't think that would make most people on this forum very happy. It would be cheaper for pentax to implement though, and most of the DA limiteds would still work.

04-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Is the image circle of the Da lenses wide enough for an aps-hsized sensor?
04-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
Is the image circle of the Da lenses wide enough for an aps-hsized sensor?
Depends on the lens. Some of them are even full.
04-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
But, what has you questioning a K3 when there is no talk of one or has ever yet been talk of a K5 replacement. I guess being optimistic is great, but this is Pentax we are talking about here; we could very well see a pink marc newson designed K02 release with an add-on OVF and Pentax call that the K5 replacement. Hate to be a downer but when all the real quality DSLR makers are continuing to release new product time and time again and all we get is an MSRP retail sales agenda crammed down our throats some things just start to look cloudy...
You're quite right.
I'm going entirely on my gut feeling with this one. And perhaps a bit of optimism as well
Having said that, I hope to gosh that Mmarc Nnewson doesn't deliver the K-5 replacement for fear that this might just end my run with Pentax as a whole with alternatives like Sony's new low cost FF solution looming. At any rate, I'm going to stick with hopeful to avoid any undue stress in the meantime

04-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It may have been less a 24MP "choice" on Nikon's part, than a matter of Sony being unable/unwilling to commit to a sufficient amount of (for example) 16MP sensors.
Perhaps Nikon is anticipating the lowering of FF prices due to Sony's new model and keeping their older D700. Then on the lower end, i would think that MILC are squeezing entry level sales such as the models from Fuji, Panasonic, Pentax and Olympus. There has to be a lot of expense involved in supporting and manufacturing all those different lines of SLRs. So if either Nikon or Sony decided to reduce the number of manufacturing models/sensors, that could have caused the 24mp D3100. Difference in the future Nikon aps models may be dependent on trim in specific bodies rather than on the sensor itself, e.g. the amount of buffer available, the number of memory cards, the noise level of the shutter, features in the menu such as GPS, etc.
04-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Definetely going to screw over sales of the K-R at that price, we will see how the D7000's replacement compares to the K5 and its replacement.
The lack of extra external controls makes the D3200 a no go for me but this just makes me want to cry:
Nikon D800 D-SLR Camera | High Dynamic Range Camera
Not that megapixels are everything but I think the sensor and processor combo here is more than just a pretty number. I read it like 5 times thinking I was reading it wrong, that's damn near medium format level.
I may very well keep my lenses for my film cameras which I love, and sell my sailboat and my K20D to buy one of these, its so depressing to keep waiting for the Pentax FF unicorn. Why do I feel like we are falling farther and farther behind.

EDIT: 100% viewfinder coverage & 1/8000-30 seconds shutter speed??? now I really am crying.
I'm assuming that you haven't seen DxO sensor testing results where the D800 actually scores higher than every MF camera they have tested....in fact it has recieves the highest score ever. You should already be crying.
04-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I would be excited for an aps-h sensor, but I don't think that would make most people on this forum very happy. It would be cheaper for pentax to implement though, and most of the DA limiteds would still work.
I think some would like it. Plus, Nikon has a way to use aps-c lenses on full frame. Given Pentax's track record with features and performance of sensors, I am sure they could come up with a way. That would be even simpler implementation on an aps-h sized sensor.
04-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #23
gtl
Veteran Member

Problem now is, apart from really making a FF dslr, can Pentax match the AF of the D700/D800? Assuming they price it near to the D700's $2200. I haven't had the experience of using a FF Nikon but many people claim that its has the best AF out there. While Pentax is still stuck with SAFOX. The K5 AF points are really too large and thus inaccurate. Interesting why nobody queried Ricoh about the AF system during the interview they had. Or am I missing something here?

04-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think some would like it. Plus, Nikon has a way to use aps-c lenses on full frame. Given Pentax's track record with features and performance of sensors, I am sure they could come up with a way. That would be even simpler implementation on an aps-h sized sensor.
Yeah it just autocrops, but many of the DA lenses cover larger than aps-c circles. The da35 would only need a 1.15 crop, so I hope they would not simply force a 1.5x crop on all the aps-c lenses. A 1.3 or less aps-h might cover all but the da14s image circle anyways.
04-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Yeah it just autocrops, but many of the DA lenses cover larger than aps-c circles. The da35 would only need a 1.15 crop, so I hope they would not simply force a 1.5x crop on all the aps-c lenses. A 1.3 or less aps-h might cover all but the da14s image circle anyways.
I was thinking more for the DA 14, DA 15 ltd and DA 21 ltd and a few of the other ultra wide zooms like the 10-17 FE.
04-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I was thinking more for the DA 14, DA 15 ltd and DA 21 ltd and a few of the other ultra wide zooms like the 10-17 FE.
Understood, but I hope they allow a configurable crop in the body. If they were to use two APS-C 16mpx Sony sensors put together the crop factor, while keeping 3:2, would be around 1.2x. That might work for all but the widest lenses, and those might work stopped down a bit. I just wouldn't want them to force a 1.5x crop.