Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What happens if...

Pentax brings out an amazing all singing al dancing full frame DSLR...

With a mount that isn't K-shaped?

04-21-2012, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Well, it is 2012, the world is ending anyway.
04-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then there would be a lot of angry people...
04-21-2012, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If Pentax did that, I'm sure it would be a success in itself, but I (and likely many other patient Pentaxians) would probably pick up FF by Canon or Nikon. There would be no reason for me to use a full-frame Pentax if it were unable to support my lineup of FF lenses from the film era, which I've been hanging on to for a reason

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
@Adam has hit on the likely answer, with the caveat that someone would likely come up with a new mount to K mount adapter pretty quickly.

Being a newbie pentax shooter, I wonder if you could look at what pentax did when it switched from M42 to K mount, and at what point in the process did it develop an adapter for that switch?
04-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, Adam, you are probably right, but your answer supposes that the possible non-K mount FF would be worst than Nikon or Canon ones, either in absolute terms or quality/price wise. And I think that Pentax would be absolutely foolish coming out with an announced failure like that. And this is perhaps the reason why we still miss a Pentax FF, isn't it?
04-21-2012, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #7

Out of curiosity (and because I don't know much about camera mounts): would there be a technical advantage to creating a new mount?

Different connectors? Different flange distance? Different sensors or AF or whatever?
04-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by attilaworx Quote
Out of curiosity (and because I don't know much about camera mounts): would there be a technical advantage to creating a new mount?
Different connectors? Different flange distance? Different sensors or AF or whatever?
These are questions that should have been part of my original post... Thank you for picking up on this as it was a part of my thinking...

04-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Pentax brings out an amazing all singing al dancing full frame DSLR...

With a mount that isn't K-shaped?
As far as I'm concerned, a full frame DSLR that doesn't accept K-mount lenses is not a Pentax.... no matter what brand name is stamped on it.
04-22-2012, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Theoretically there would be advantages to a new mount.

As far as I understand it, you can use any lens which has a larger or equal register than the mount is designed for.

The K mount has a register of 45.46mm, which is larger than, for example, the EOS mout at 44mm. Hence you can't get an EOS lens to work with infinity focus on a K mount without some sort of optical addition.

This is also the reason that you can fit almost any old lens on a Q - it's register is tiny (9.2mm)

So, if Pentax made a mount with a register of, say, 43mm, you could fit EOS glass and Leica glass and so on. Pentax might even create thin slivers of electronic converters to make the metering work and so on.

However, the marketing advantage of it would be very slight, especially as 4/3 and M4/3 would have an even smaller register than any camera that needs room to swing a mirror - and even if they did it, it would mean less demand for Pentax lenses.

Of course it would also annoy people with K glass, but then it annoyed Canon F users when they introduced the EOS mount, but it doesn't seem to have held them back much, so never say never. That said, the K mount is one of the key identifiers of Pentax in my opinion, so I'd say it is very unlikely.

I am interested in Adam's comment that if Pentax brought out a FF without a K mount he'd buy a Canon or a Nikon. Whilst this supports my point that the K is a key factor for Pentax, I do wonder if that amounts to a tacit admission that the K mount is the only advantage Pentax has in the eyes of the forum owner? What if the Pentax without a K mount was better than any Canon or Nikon, as the K-5 is apparently better than any other APS-c?
04-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
Theoretically there would be advantages to a new mount.
Ricoh could have done that without buying Pentax. Surely, the K-mount is core to their investment and any FF plans.
04-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter

There is no reason Pentax couldn't develop a new mount and a K-mount adapter that supports for K-mount. The lack of a fully-digital interface for K-mount these days seems rather silly.
04-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
I am interested in Adam's comment that if Pentax brought out a FF without a K mount he'd buy a Canon or a Nikon. Whilst this supports my point that the K is a key factor for Pentax, I do wonder if that amounts to a tacit admission that the K mount is the only advantage Pentax has in the eyes of the forum owner? What if the Pentax without a K mount was better than any Canon or Nikon, as the K-5 is apparently better than any other APS-c?
That was exactly my point...
04-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't care. Most likely wont run on 4 AA batts, so I would not buy it.
04-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter

New mount = new lens line plus R&D and other costs, etc.

Bonjour,

A new mount would assume a R&D budget that Hoya never would have green lighted IMHO. Thus, I wouldn't expect to see anything soon ...

Why not a new mount ... Well, if Ricoh abandons and/or signals a future abandon/diminution of the K mount, it would be a grave error ... and unlikely given the new lens roadmap and the arrival of the K-01. Plus there was the recent K mount lenses price increases ...

A second mount would involve some extra bucks that maybe Ricoh will shell out ... As the French say, "On verra!"

Salut, John le Frog