Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Lowell...
What are u suing to meter on the k10? I mean as the equvalent of the needle on the k1000. I am metterning on the k1000, but I have to take the shot on the k10, as there is no indicator to to let me know if my exposure is ( about right). incidentally i experimented with the spot, center weighed and matrix exposure modes when taking my shots.

01-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
hmmmm, let's see if we can nail down what's happening. So the light meter on your K1000 gives you f/4, 1/15s @ISO400 (ie the needle is centered), correct?
Pick up your K10D and put the mode dial in "M". Pick the same settings from above and see what the little exposure meter in the viewfinder says. I'd guess it would be pretty close to centered. Now if you take a picture of a white wall using those settings, I'd expect you'd get a nice picture of a gray wall. Let me know what you find...
tan in my case, not grey but yes
01-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dresden_phoenix Quote
Lowell...
What are u suing to meter on the k10? I mean as the equvalent of the needle on the k1000. I am metterning on the k1000, but I have to take the shot on the k10, as there is no indicator to to let me know if my exposure is ( about right). incidentally i experimented with the spot, center weighed and matrix exposure modes when taking my shots.
on the K10, what I did is set the camera to manual, with the same lens as on the KX (i.e. 50mm F1.4).

you can meter two ways,
- one is to push the green button, and the camera sets the shutter speed for the apature set on the K mount lens (assuming you have the functions set for use of non AE lenses), OR
- you use the DOF preview, which also activates the metering and gives you a matched needle metering against the shutter speed you have set showing +/- ev .
01-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #19
Inactive Account

So it seems Lowell has done my little "experiment" (as I'm at work and even if I was at home don't have a film SLR to play with ) and found that his LX meter and his K10D meter were within about 1/3 stop of each other.

I agree with his assesment that your K1000 meter might be busted. In my first post here, I mentioned that I would be HAPPY (and suprised) if I could get f/4, 1/15s, ISO400 in a room lit only by two light bulbs...

01-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, am at work too... and my work doesnt really involve much shooting, so for me these experiments will have to wait.

but by accident I did find this comment on strobist ...
"We humanoids typically light to light our interiors to about 1/60th at f/4 at ASA 400. While this may be rapidly depleting our fossil fuels and sending our global climate spiraling out of control, it works out just peachy for photographers. It is a very flexible light level, and we'll use it to run through the idea of balancing strobe and ambient.

OK, so without strobe, you'd be shooting at 1/60th, f/4, ASA 400. And there are many times when you will happily bang away without strobe. Go to 1/125 - f/2.8 if you need the speed, or 1/30th - f/5.6 if you need depth of field. But this is also an easy position from which to create a nice, balanced ambient/strobe look. And we are all about that here."

Strobist: Lighting 101: Balancing Flash and Ambient, Pt 1