Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2008, 06:33 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I carry my gear with me up the side of cliffs, on all sorts of boats, snowmobiles, and whatever else I happen to be doing.

Do I expect my Pentax to withstand a drop from anything? NOPE.

Is it the cameras fault if it ever brakes on me while in the field? NOPE.

I don't expect any of my other cameras to survive either. It's just a risk I have to take in the business I've chosen.
Good thing that I can write it off if necessary.
Agree 100%.

If i drop a camera or lens, i will assume as its going down, it might break.

Dave

01-14-2008, 06:39 AM   #32

Sounds like someone blaming the camera for their mistake!!
01-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
I've been a pro driver since the age of 16. It wasn't long after receiving my licence that I wanted to sue Chevy because when I let go of my steering wheel my Camero hit a tree and broke. They should've seen this coming and padded my car with rubber in vulnerable places. I mean, it was so obvious!

I know the feeling. When I drove trucks in the U.S. I was on a long cross-country haul when I ran out of blinker fluid. Over the CB radio another driver told me I could just fill it up with power steering fluid until I could buy some more blinker fluid.

I took his word and everything was fine for a while. But the very first time I put the turn signal on it the steering wheel spun violently and I found myself flying off the edge of a cliff. Fortunately I was hauling helium so I touched down very lightly.
01-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #34
Inactive Account

I am still confused on what entering a tattoo studio with a camera hanging off your shoulder has got to do with Pro use.

Anyway , I do hope they put those rubber bits you are talking about on Aeroplanes I never thought to ask that last time I was on one, but it certainly would make sense.

Sorry for taking the pi$$,Gregory, and I do hope you stay and become an active forum member.

01-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I know the feeling. When I drove trucks in the U.S. I was on a long cross-country haul when I ran out of blinker fluid. Over the CB radio another driver told me I could just fill it up with power steering fluid until I could buy some more blinker fluid.

I took his word and everything was fine for a while. But the very first time I put the turn signal on it the steering wheel spun violently and I found myself flying off the edge of a cliff. Fortunately I was hauling helium so I touched down very lightly.
Helium filled cameras!!
Eureka you have the solution, I'll race you to the patent's office.
01-14-2008, 07:06 AM   #36
Inactive Account

I am sure there is internal damage, too.

He'll open it up and a little stream of 1's and 0's will dribble out and pool on the table.

"Oh no! I ruptured it's spleen ... er, memory card!"
01-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Assuming you're not an elf, the camera fell 5ft and hit the floor and the only damage was a cracked viewfinder? Just one more reason to love the K10D! Cheap fix too!

Love the attention-seeking headline though.. Some mod should change it as it's not representative of what happened. Pro conditions? What's that got to do with anything? You simply dropped your camera. You should be more careful with your money maker.

01-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 4 digital cameras, a pentax EI200, a kodak DX 7590, an *istD and a K10D.

I have only had a problem with the EI200 and that is because I dropped my KX on top of it and had a corner of the KX hit the screen.

I defy any camera to survive a point impact such as that. in excess of 2 pounds on a rather sharp corner of a film body. The camera still works, only the screne is cracked (one nice big one)

Although I read all sorts of complaints of screen damage, and read all sorts of posts about protecting the screen with a PDA protector (i use those on my PDA), i don't use one on any of my cameras.

I was very careless with the camera, and deserved what I got.

I am not specifically careful with my equipment, but I have never dropped a camera. If you are concerned about having it slip off your shoulder, perhaps youo should consider a contoured strap, like that on many lowepro bags, which fits the shoulder better. Designing the camera to withstand all impacts is foolish. you may have been in a studio or otherwise controlled spot when you dropped yours, but I can gaurantee there are all sorts of hard pointed things in the outdoors that you simply can't design around. If I drop something, I assume it will brake, and would be much more concerned about my lenses than the camera body.

Otherwise I consider this the reason you have insurance.
01-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Gregory,
Lots of luck getting it replaced.

Everyone else. Thanks for the good laughs
This thread belongs in the best of the month
01-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Am I to assume that, by this posting, when I next drop my camera I must be sure not to drop it at the specified 'wrong' angle. Come on!
This is a precision instrument, to be handled with some care. What next, cast iron body, with shock absorbers and total rubber encased.
By what I read here, Gregory is just trying to cop out of his own mistake by blaming the camera. I THINK NOT. Get real pleeeeeease!!!
NOTE: The first thing I always do when I take out my camera is place the strap around my neck. To see people getting around with no strap or strap hanging makes me shudder. Asking for trouble!
01-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a specification for the next camera.

body material : low alloy high tensile steel machined from a square block with appropriate holes to fit lens, battery, card etc.

Viewing screen ; 5 layer tempered glass with polycarbonite between layers.

Lens ; same as viewing screen.

Lens size (pin hole) to insure small enough to insure nothing gets in to damage the lens (including light)

Viewing screen ; same as lens.

useability : 0
01-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Just waiting for RH to come in here and bash Pentax again, "How DARE they build a camera that can't withstand being dropped on a rock hard surface !!"
01-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Just waiting for RH to come in here and bash Pentax again, "How DARE they build a camera that can't withstand being dropped on a rock hard surface !!"
maybe we can propose a contest, our pentaxes vs his canons and nikons.

My bet, nobody wins, but I'm sure RH can spin it so pentax looks worse
01-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory Quote
Control wise the K10D is a dream to use. The viewfinder screen is too fragile though. Improvements could be made. The screen got cracked on the second day of usage.
I can symphatise with your pain Gregory.

But, I can attest that the K10 can take a tough impact. I lost mine of my bike riding about 40kmph. I was expecting to pick up the pieces. It only had a few scratces, and the flash housing was bent. But nothing some gaffer tape could not fix.

I was lucky, and you not. Sorry, but thats about it. You can't blame Pentax.

Tim
01-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #45
Inactive Account

I dropped a hint the other day and it cracked.