Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2008, 02:28 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'm going to start hanging my camera off my shoulder so I can look more professional.

Seriously, though, the only strap I ever use for any of my cameras is a Hakuba wrist loop that has a tripod screw on it. Handiest thing in the world to have. I also use it to hang an extra camera off of my belt when I go out with two. Takes up no space at all either in a camera bag or a pocket.
Mike, is it possible for you to post a pic of that wrist strap?
I'm not that impressed with those I saw on-line.

I'm better off with a neck strap for most of my treks, since I often need both my hands on the ski poles or while climbing steep terrain. But that strap sure sounds interesting.

01-16-2008, 02:55 AM   #62

It looks like Gregory aint very happy about the replys he got... hasnt written anything since page 1 or 2, and now its 5 pages

I feel sorry for you Gregory, bad luck is a bith.
01-16-2008, 04:09 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Mike, is it possible for you to post a pic of that wrist strap?
I'm not that impressed with those I saw on-line.

I'm better off with a neck strap for most of my treks, since I often need both my hands on the ski poles or while climbing steep terrain. But that strap sure sounds interesting.
It's practically identical to this one. They also make a longer one that goes around your neck, which I also have. The great thing about the short one, like I said, is that it takes up no space at all and universally fits any camera with a tripod mount. It has the standard little rubber washer around the base of the screw to help prevent the screw from coming loose. Still, if using it to hang a camera from your belt it is a good idea to check it every now and then. I primarily keep a firm grip on my camera when walking around with it, but I like the extra insurance of a hand strap. Coupled with the low cost and easy mounting/removing of this style, it is probably my favorite camera accessory.
01-16-2008, 05:22 AM   #64

Gregory doesn't get the responses he wanted so he goes trolling on the OCAU forums ....
and gets the same responses from N/C/Oly users too.

Oh well.

01-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by sychen Quote
Gregory doesn't get the responses he wanted so he goes trolling on the OCAU forums ....

Oh well.
Where? Which site? Oh please, please link us...
01-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #66
Veteran Member

IBM Drop Test Specification

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory Quote

Control wise the K10D is a dream to use. The viewfinder screen is too fragile though. Improvements could be made. The screen got cracked on the second day of usage.
Back in the late 1980's when IBM's PC equipment was made out of armour steel, one of our test procedures was to drop it on a concrete surface to test its resistance to transportation issues.

It would be dropped from a hight of 6ft onto a corner. The PC would then be unpacked and booted up. If there was any visible damage or it failed to boot up and run, the test failed.

However the test specified that the PC had to be IN ITS ORIGINAL PACKAGING at the time of the drop.

We tried dropping one without the packaging and it was a complete write off. Amazing what expanded polystyrene can do.

My suggestion is, if you are a clutz, keep your camera wrapped in bubble wrap with holes for the lens and buttons. Should be good for a 3 ft drop - unless it lands on the lens of course
01-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #67
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FireMate Quote
Where? Which site? Oh please, please link us...
Overclockers Australia Forums

01-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asloman Quote
I wish that I could view the post without signing up.

It isn't that I don't feel bad for Gregory. I know that he'd like to change the outcome that day, and probably change his original post.

But I wouldn't mind having another good, harmless laugh.

Gregory, thanks once again for the entertainment. I wouldn't worry about posting anything else.
We won't hold it against you.
01-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I am sure there is internal damage, too.

He'll open it up and a little stream of 1's and 0's will dribble out and pool on the table.

"Oh no! I ruptured it's spleen ... er, memory card!"
I think you've got the wrong technology.

its not 1's and 0's that leak out of electroncis. In an article in the IEEE Spectrum many years ago, the editor had claimed to disprove the theory that electronics was all about the movement of electrons and holes in materials, and that it really worked on smoke.

He offered his own vast personal experience that the electronics always stopped working when the smoke leaked out.
01-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Back in the day, when we had to physically move a mini-computer such as a DEC PDP-8, we would set the core memory to all zeros. That way, it weighed less.
01-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sychen Quote
Gotta say though, the responses from over here are a lot funnier!
01-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I sort of have to agree with the OP. They just don't make things strong enough. I had an egg, and from only an inch or two away, it broke when all I did was tap it - really, I just tapped it - against the edge of a pan. What's with that?
01-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Sheesh i had my k10 drop from ontop of a brick fire place (about a meter and a half fall on to the base) with grip, a 200 tak and collar attached. I almost had a heart attack when i heard the sickening clank and thud. Slight scuff on the bottom of the grip but all ok, lcd flawless and viewfinder sweet as but the metal hood needed some panel beating. Luck of the misfortunate draw i guess and all on my third week with the cam...one year later...
01-17-2008, 03:59 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Kaimarx reminds me of another and every significant portion of the Gregory's post.

He dropped it on the SECOND day he had the thing. How the hell can he know how the thing performs in "pro" conditions when he only has it less than two full days? Even without the part about dropping the thing.
01-17-2008, 04:10 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[QUOTE=Lowell Goudge;154220]

He offered his own vast personal experience that the electronics always stopped working when the smoke leaked out.[/QUOTE

LOL _ they used to say that about triumph MC's - LUCAS was known as the prince of darkness