Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #76
Inactive Account

Dude, you owe me a cup of coffee now that you made me spit mine all over my keyboard

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I sort of have to agree with the OP. They just don't make things strong enough. I had an egg, and from only an inch or two away, it broke when all I did was tap it - really, I just tapped it - against the edge of a pan. What's with that?

01-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #77

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sychen Quote
Gregory doesn't get the responses he wanted so he goes trolling on the OCAU forums ....
and gets the same responses from N/C/Oly users too.

Oh well.

Huh? I haven't logged on here in a while. Been out shooting
01-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #78

Original Poster
Haven't read all the replies.. Quick update. I've been modifying the camera. Lets see how durable I can make it

Last edited by Gregory; 01-17-2008 at 08:16 AM.
01-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it's plenty durable enough as it comes--it's not like it's designed to be abused like a football or something.

I mean, it is an expensive piece of electronics ya know. You don't find many put through mil-spec type testing, and those that do go through it and pass have a nice premium attached to them.

All for ruggedizing it more if it fits you, but to say the camera doesn't stand up to a beating is kinda false. Most pros and serious amateurs on here would see a beating as more like, a heckuva lot of pictures, working in tough weather, that sort of thing.

dropping one's camera is not part of that equation though.

01-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #80

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
I think it's plenty durable enough as it comes--it's not like it's designed to be abused like a football or something.

I mean, it is an expensive piece of electronics ya know. You don't find many put through mil-spec type testing, and those that do go through it and pass have a nice premium attached to them.

All for ruggedizing it more if it fits you, but to say the camera doesn't stand up to a beating is kinda false. Most pros and serious amateurs on here would see a beating as more like, a heckuva lot of pictures, working in tough weather, that sort of thing.

dropping one's camera is not part of that equation though.
If it breaks i'll get a new one. That doesn't really matter. I just want to see how far I can push it. How durable I can make it.
01-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #81
Veteran Member

This thread has reached absurdity overkill!
01-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory Quote
Haven't read all the replies.. Quick update. I've been modifying the camera. Lets see how durable I can make it (images snipped)

Man, those pictures are dark. Anyway, after some adjustments in Photoshop, all I see is duct tape on the eyepiece and elsewhere. Since it obviously isn't very useful in that condition, when are you going to get the camera fixed? Hopefully soon (and not too expensively) so you have an opportunity to actually enjoy the camera.

By the way, please don't be offended by the comments here. I'm sure we all feel for your situation (and sincerely hope it never happens to us), but obviously just couldn't resist having some fun with the seeming association between "pro conditions" and dropping a camera. Of course, ordinary optical glass in any camera, no matter how expensive, would break just as easily if subjected to a direct impact from a fall.

stewart

01-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
This thread has reached absurdity overkill!

No, we have some pretty good comedians on this forum. If they're challenged, I'm sure this thread is good for at least another dozen or more jokes - about the original topic and in response to comments made by others.

stewart
01-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #84

If it breaks i'll get a new one. That doesn't really matter. I just want to see how far I can push it. How durable I can make it.
Wow, you must have mucho $$$$

Any chance you will ever take a picture or two with your camera?

Just curious why it must be drop proof as you are really pushing the limits with ANY electronic device.

also, I like your comment you have not looked at the replies... Ya right
01-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Best laugh I've had on a forum for a while.

Armour plating is the way to go

simon
01-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #86

Gregory, in all seriousness there are products that may fit your requirements.

Made Products - Pentax K10D SLR Camera Armor, Black

Camera Armor
01-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
I will ask foregiveness in advance but couldn't pass this comment without adding one more good one.

If you ordered a mouse to MIL specifications you would get an elephant!
01-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Man, those pictures are dark.
Hey, don't knock 'em. Those are real Pro photos you're looking at. The title says so and he even dropped his camera to prove it to you.
01-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #89
Inactive Account

Haven't read all the replies.. Quick update. I've been modifying the camera. Lets see how durable I can make it

]
I think we might have been had
01-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I was stranded out in the Gibson desert in my MGB with a flat tyre and no jack .......I didn't!......oh well....

Yep, there I was, hundreds of miles from Birdsville, in my MGB, flat tyre and jack broken. It was a 130 degrees in the water bag (...well, would have been...if i had a water bag...day trip, so didn't carry one...??). To escape my predicament I tried all sorts of things, you know, lifting the car with one hand while changing the wheel....but the wheel was too hot to pick up off the sand.

So, hmmm! predicament. Gazing forlornly into the MX5 my gaze settled on my DS with the Sigma 135-400 attached.....when the light came on....of course! saved! you little beauty!!! Bonza idea!!

So I put the camera under the car, extended the zoom, and presto, the B lifted off the ground, changed my tyre, and cruised back home in time for dinner......

So ya wanna about talk durability mate.....talk to an expert, not a 'pro'...what would they know!!

....and if any of you believe a word of this you need help.
Cheers