Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2008, 12:39 AM   #1

K10D durability in pro conditions = fail

Control wise the K10D is a dream to use. The viewfinder screen is too fragile though. Improvements could be made. The screen got cracked on the second day of usage.

01-14-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never cracked a screen on any of my Pentaxes. How did it happen?
01-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
I keep my camera with me by my side whenever i go out. Which is most of the time. You never know when the magic moment will hit..

I was out at a tattoo studio, camera slipped off my shoulder and hit the ground at a specific angle. It's a simple flaw. Some rubber added to certain points on the body would prevent this from happening in the future. Let's hope the next camera fixes this issue
01-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Are any of the pro cameras in the market capable of surviving a fall at all angles? I think pro cameras are design to withstand harsh elements, long life cycle or maybe rough handling. But for a fall, all bets are off. It really depends on luck and where exactly it hits the ground.

01-14-2008, 12:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
The thing is, the fix for it appears so simple.
01-14-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe buy another K10D, add some rubbers to the parts you think appropiate, then drop again and see?
01-14-2008, 01:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Maybe buy another K10D, add some rubbers to the parts you think appropiate, then drop again and see?
I'm hoping someone from pentax will see this post and relay it to the right people. I love how pentax cameras feel and operate. And I'd like to continue to support them..

01-14-2008, 01:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good Lord, the things people have come to expect of their cameras.....
01-14-2008, 02:18 AM   #9

I'm with Mike.

You can't expect any camera to stay alive when it falls on something solid. Durability is not about withstanding falling....

Since you're a pro, you probably packed a second k10d anyway and it probably wasn't a problem in your shoot, was it?
01-14-2008, 02:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I carry my gear with me up the side of cliffs, on all sorts of boats, snowmobiles, and whatever else I happen to be doing.

Do I expect my Pentax to withstand a drop from anything? NOPE.

Is it the cameras fault if it ever brakes on me while in the field? NOPE.

I don't expect any of my other cameras to survive either. It's just a risk I have to take in the business I've chosen.
Good thing that I can write it off if necessary.
01-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #11

You were insured, were you Gregory?
01-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you think there's a good chance of you dropping the camera while on the job, you should considering investing in a camera body armor.

I personally know of at least 1 person who's dropped their Canon 5D and it broke more than just a viewfinder.
01-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory Quote
I was out at a tattoo studio, camera slipped off my shoulder and hit the ground at a specific angle. It's a simple flaw. Some rubber added to certain points on the body would prevent this from happening in the future. Let's hope the next camera fixes this issue
Hmm... I didn't know that pro conditions = dropping camera off the shoulder.
01-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Camera Armor, by Made Products

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory Quote
Control wise the K10D is a dream to use. The viewfinder screen is too fragile though. Improvements could be made. The screen got cracked on the second day of usage.

If you handle a camera that clumsily, perhaps you should consider purchasing camera armor for it. The Made Products company sells body armor for the K10D. This body armor also comes with a protective lens hood and a clear polycarbonate shield for the rear LCD. While you're at it, don't forget some grip armor for the battery grip. Several have said this particular grip armor (linked to) fits the Pentax grip just fine.

Of course, even all this would not have prevented the damage to your eyepiece in this particular instance, but it just might help in the future when you drop the camera again.

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 01-16-2008 at 02:41 AM.
01-14-2008, 03:21 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Oh no!
I think this is a job for the measurebaters out there, perhaps they could have a showdown between a K10D, D300 and a canon 5D (perhaps RH would donate his 5D to the cause - I'm sure he would have no problems as the 5D is a pro camera; isn't it?)

I can just picture it now measurebaters dropping cameras from various heights, perhaps they can even measure AF performance as the camera gets closer to the ground, after all it should still perform as required.