Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
jaywes's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 235
Deciphering between some lenses

I'm looking to buy another lens for my K-r/K10d. Looking to use this lens mainly for outdoor/indoor automotive events, and some landscape. I currently have the kit lens 18-55mm dal, F 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 and F 70-210mm f/4-5.6. I like my 35-70mm but it's not wide enough to get close shots of cars without to much distractions (ie: ppl). Trying to get better IQ than my 18-55mm kit lens tho. The lenses I'm looking into these lenses at the moment:

1. DA 16-45mm f/4
2. DA 17-70mm f/4
3. F 24-50mm f/4 [this lens would be used and my friend has one and is asking a high price tag (~$300)]

Comments, suggestions? Thanks in advance guys.

04-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,694
All those lenses should be better, except that obviously the F lens covers a less convenient focal length range.

That F lens is worth $100 - $160 tops, BTW- check its reviews:
SMC Pentax-F 24-50mm F4 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Another lens I can recommend is the Tamron 17-50mm:
DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - The Bottom Line - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
At first I thought you needed some inscribed codes translated (deciphered) but now I see you're just having a hard time choosing (deciding). For what you want to do, wider is better.
04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
jaywes's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 235
Original Poster
Yes, you are correct. Trouble choosing for sure haha. Problem with my list is, I'd go for the 24-50mm if it were readily available! That lens is hard to find and my friend wants over $300 and I dont think it's worth that. If I found it for $160 I'd have bought it already. If I'm paying over $300, I'd rather one of the other two lenses I mentioned.

I will look into the Tamron. Part of me wants to stick with Pentax but if I get good IQ, I'll go for it for sure.

04-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Sol Invictus's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 392
+1 on the Tamron. I had the 16-45 and sold it for the Tammy. Couldn't be happier.
04-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,941
The 12-24 is a handy range for those subjects.
04-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,828
QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
I'd go for the 24-50mm if it were readily available! That lens is hard to find and my friend wants over $300 and I dont think it's worth that. If I found it for $160 I'd have bought it already. If I'm paying over $300, I'd rather one of the other two lenses I mentioned.
I have been watching for that lens as well and the last one I saw sell went for $199, there is another one listed for $299 which has been re-listed several times and not sold. So $300 is more than the going rate.

But for what you want to shoot I agree wider is better.
04-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
jaywes's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 235
Original Poster
Thanks guys for the suggestions. You guys are probably right in that the 24-50mm wouldn't be wide enough even if I did get it for a decent price. I'm now leaning toward the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Thanks Adam

04-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
i_trax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,146
yes you need definitely something wider, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC MACRO , have two of them, love them.
they go cheap nowadays after bigger and heavier HSM was introduced, I still much prefer the older one with better MACRO and very close focusing.
04-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,895
QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
Yes, you are correct. Trouble choosing for sure haha. Problem with my list is, I'd go for the 24-50mm if it were readily available! That lens is hard to find and my friend wants over $300 and I dont think it's worth that. If I found it for $160 I'd have bought it already. If I'm paying over $300, I'd rather one of the other two lenses I mentioned.

I will look into the Tamron. Part of me wants to stick with Pentax but if I get good IQ, I'll go for it for sure.
KEH has the 24-50 for $205 in EX. I have been sorely tempted, but I'm saving for a K-5.
04-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Senior Member
jaywes's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 235
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
KEH has the 24-50 for $205 in EX. I have been sorely tempted, but I'm saving for a K-5.
aw man, didn't even see that! I was looking only under digital and not autofocus 35mm. I think I may have bought it already had I seen it sooner (prior to posting this thread). But I think it was for the better. The 24mm end is not wide enough, a 17mm would fit me much better. thanks for the heads up.
04-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
I didn't suggest the Tamron or Sigma 17-50's because OP seemed to think US$300 was a bunch of money and they're both more expensive. I don't know if either Pentax is under that threshold. That's also why I didn't mention the DA12-24 nor Tamron 10-24, which is my personal recommendation for WIDE shooting. Good stuff in this neighborhood ain't cheap. Ratz.

But assuming an adequate budget, the Tamron 10-24 is IMHO the best for OP's applications. Awhile back I had the option to buy any of the existing UWAs: Sigma 8-16 or either 10-20; DA12-24; and the Tamron. I based my decision on focal range, cost, warranty, and Sigma's known issues with QC. It makes an ideal complement to the DA18-55, F35-70, and F70-210.

I have another suggestion beyond the Tamron 10-24. If OP is comfortable with lens swapping, the DA18-55 can be replaced with something else totally. I recently got a MF (PK-A mount) copy of the Cosina-made Vivitar Series 1 19-35/3.5-4.5. I *really* like its optics. I saw new AF copies for sale on Amazon. Short 2x zooms like this and the F35-70 are *so* sharp!

So I'm loving my 'new' street- and 'scape-shooting kit: Tamron 10-24, Vivitar 19-35, F35-70. Yes, I still keep the DA10-17 and DA18-250 (my original Pentax zooms) in my bag, and yes, the DA18-250 is still my basic lens. But for interiors and small spaces and street-town-land-sky-sea-scapes, those 3 short zooms are my go-to kit. Those and the FA50/1.4 of course.
04-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
Senior Member
jaywes's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 235
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I didn't suggest the Tamron or Sigma 17-50's because OP seemed to think US$300 was a bunch of money and they're both more expensive. I don't know if either Pentax is under that threshold. That's also why I didn't mention the DA12-24 nor Tamron 10-24, which is my personal recommendation for WIDE shooting. Good stuff in this neighborhood ain't cheap. Ratz.

But assuming an adequate budget, the Tamron 10-24 is IMHO the best for OP's applications. Awhile back I had the option to buy any of the existing UWAs: Sigma 8-16 or either 10-20; DA12-24; and the Tamron. I based my decision on focal range, cost, warranty, and Sigma's known issues with QC. It makes an ideal complement to the DA18-55, F35-70, and F70-210.

I have another suggestion beyond the Tamron 10-24. If OP is comfortable with lens swapping, the DA18-55 can be replaced with something else totally. I recently got a MF (PK-A mount) copy of the Cosina-made Vivitar Series 1 19-35/3.5-4.5. I *really* like its optics. I saw new AF copies for sale on Amazon. Short 2x zooms like this and the F35-70 are *so* sharp!

So I'm loving my 'new' street- and 'scape-shooting kit: Tamron 10-24, Vivitar 19-35, F35-70. Yes, I still keep the DA10-17 and DA18-250 (my original Pentax zooms) in my bag, and yes, the DA18-250 is still my basic lens. But for interiors and small spaces and street-town-land-sky-sea-scapes, those 3 short zooms are my go-to kit. Those and the FA50/1.4 of course.
Initially I wasn't looking at $300 as expensive or too much (the 16-45mm & 17-70 are up from there), but just for that particular lens. From my own research, $300 for the 24-50mm is way over priced. And you guys said the same. My budget is up to about $450 for lens. I know good quality lenses aren't cheap. Thanks for the additional lens ideas. I will look into these too before purchase.
05-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
Senior Member
jaywes's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 235
Original Poster
I ended up purchasing the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. I can already see the added sharpness of the photos over the kit lens. More than happy with it. I will continue to test it out over the next few weeks before my upcoming auto event. Thanks for the advice and help forum!

@RioRico That 10-24mm is next! Will do wonders for architecture captures.
05-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
@RioRico That 10-24mm is next! Will do wonders for architecture captures.
Yes it will. Just be cautious. It can quickly become addictive.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18-55mm, camera, da, dslr, f/4, kit, lens, lenses, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do m42 lenses measure up to todays lenses? Vantage-Point Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 05-14-2011 07:51 AM
Huge test on the influence of fungus in lenses (on 9 lenses) CarbonR Photographic Technique 18 03-14-2011 10:34 PM
Pentax Km and old manual lenses: SMC Takumars & Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses Kendrick Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 04-14-2010 03:23 AM
For Sale - Sold: Yard sale: M lenses, K 300mm, DA 14mm, ME film body, Nikkor lenses and more Nachodog Sold Items 24 12-26-2009 12:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top