Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
USB connection problem..K100D

I plugged my K100 into the USB port to download some images this morning and got a message stating that there was a power surge on the USB hub and that a device (Presumably the camera) has exceeded the power limit of the hub port.

THe USB ports work fine with other devices. Any Ideas what is going on?

12-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

usb ports only supply so much power.. some hubs are self powered some arnt.. a four port hub if not self powered can exceed the main usb ports capabilites..

the camera being self powered should not require much if any power from the hub thow..

if u have other devices plugged into the same hub try removing some.

i use a card reader to be honest i finding it easier than plugging the camera in..

trog
12-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
THanks for the reply. I do have a card reader so it isn't life threatening.

The camera has worked through my usb ports before, it just doesn't work now. I've tried other batteries and all my ports...nothing.
12-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anything changed since the camera last worked on the hub? Are the camera batteries particularily low? Are you plugging it into the same port on your hub? I know that any of these should have no bearing but USB can sometimes do funny things. I own a DS and have always used a reader so I don't know, but does the camera need to be on? Also could it be the cable? I know the cable for the DS is proprietary, but if the K100 isn't, could you try a different cable?

NaCl(just a few different thoughts)H2O

12-28-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Has anything changed since the camera last worked on the hub? Are the camera batteries particularily low? Are you plugging it into the same port on your hub? I know that any of these should have no bearing but USB can sometimes do funny things. I own a DS and have always used a reader so I don't know, but does the camera need to be on? Also could it be the cable? I know the cable for the DS is proprietary, but if the K100 isn't, could you try a different cable?

NaCl(just a few different thoughts)H2O
I've tried everything you've suggested, nothing helps. I can download via usb on other computers so it must be hardware related.
12-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
I've tried everything you've suggested, nothing helps. I can download via usb on other computers so it must be hardware related.
Only other things I can think of. Try a different SD card, or a different set of fresh batteries? Reinstall the Pentax driver on your PC?
12-28-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The camera connects to the computer?? Who knew?

Sorry for the meaningless post. I couldn't help myself. I hope you figure out the problem, which most likely lies within the vagaries of Windows XP and your USB controller. At least, that's been my experience. I have one USB port that just won't act right and I finally gave up trying to whip it into shape.