Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 104
does a K7 support 64GB SDHC cards?

I've been using a good SanDisk 32 GB SDHC card since I got my K7 (30MB/s, class 10). It works great.

I'm now adding a second card and I wonder if I will be okay if I get the 64 GB version of the same card. Does the K7 support cards this large?

04-24-2012, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,775
64Gb cards are SDXC, not SDHC, but indeed, they are supported. You just have to upgrade your firmware to the latest version.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 104
Original Poster
Thanks, Adam.
04-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
You'll also be wanting to check what's under the hood of ones computer as well.

If you have a platter hard disk drive (as opposed to hybrid or SSD) then ones computer will have a really good time when the computer tries to defrag.

Under a typical Windows 7 example with an above average sized platter hard drive; if one downloaded the entire 64Gb card; then it might take quite the number of hours to defrag.

04-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 104
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
You'll also be wanting to check what's under the hood of ones computer as well.

If you have a platter hard disk drive (as opposed to hybrid or SSD) then ones computer will have a really good time when the computer tries to defrag.

Under a typical Windows 7 example with an above average sized platter hard drive; if one downloaded the entire 64Gb card; then it might take quite the number of hours to defrag.

I'm using a Mac Pro with a traditional 2 TB hard drive to store my photos on. My admittedly vague understanding of things is that OSX doesn't need to defrag hard drives, or does it in the background or something -- my roundabout way of saying, I have never defragged a hard drive on a Mac, though I used to do it regularly on my PC.
04-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
That MacPro is a far above average choice, but...

You may very well want to recheck into that defrag thing - especially on a drive that large - even well before electing to purchase the 64gb memory card.

Whether is Mac or Windows; for most people I would not suggest a memory card that large without either a very good hybrid drive or an ssd. It may very well lead to major issues with the computer - ie not quit enough time to properly defrag and having to interrupt a defrag - which is alright at times, but not on a frequent basis.

On the other hand; I would try perhaps two or three 32gb cards
04-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 104
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
That MacPro is a far above average choice, but...

You may very well want to recheck into that defrag thing - especially on a drive that large - even well before electing to purchase the 64gb memory card.

Whether is Mac or Windows; for most people I would not suggest a memory card that large without either a very good hybrid drive or an ssd. It may very well lead to major issues with the computer - ie not quit enough time to properly defrag and having to interrupt a defrag - which is alright at times, but not on a frequent basis.

On the other hand; I would try perhaps two or three 32gb cards
I am perhaps a little dense -- I don't really understand why it would be better to import photos from 2 32 GB cards back to back, instead of 1 64 GB card in one session, in terms of hard drive fragmentation. If you could explain that a little better it would be helpful.

edit: assuming all cards are full, i.e. 64 GB of photos incoming from either two 32 GB cards or one 64 GB card...

thanks
04-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,775
If you're on a 64-bit OS, you shouldn't have any memory issues associated with cards > 32gb, I don't think. If you have more than 4Gb of RAM, then you've likely got 64 bit.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 104
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you're on a 64-bit OS, you shouldn't have any memory issues associated with cards > 32gb, I don't think. If you have more than 4Gb of RAM, then you've likely got 64 bit.
I have 6 GB of RAM, but I'm on OSX 10.5.8, which is several versions behind the times, so it might not be 64-bit. (There are technical reasons for not having upgraded OSX due to my music and video production software, it's not entirely laziness that has kept me at 10.5).
04-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 104
Original Poster
I appear to have a 32-bit kernel, from my quick check in terminal of the kernel, as far as I understand it.
04-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Village, Ohio USA
Posts: 1,046
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
I appear to have a 32-bit kernel, from my quick check in terminal of the kernel, as far as I understand it.
Then you're wasting 2GB of memory. It is mathematically impossible to address more than 4GB of memory in a computer with a 32 bit word. Doesn't matter if its Intel, Motorola, Windows or MacOS or Linux.

2 ** 32 = 4,294,967,296 = 4G

As far as fragmenting a hard drive, the NTFS file system used by Windows is much less susceptible to fragmentation than the FAT32 file system used in Windows 95 and Windows 98.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, card, dslr, gb, k7, photography, sdhc, support
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faster SDHC cards? dgpaterson2000 Pentax Medium Format 3 07-22-2011 08:19 AM
Can K-5 handle 64GB SD Cards ? Ragnar Pentax K-5 13 06-05-2011 01:36 PM
class 10 SDHC cards Glen_S Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 20 04-11-2011 11:48 PM
SDHC cards jonhock Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 11 08-15-2010 10:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top