Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Flooded Pentax k-10 now working

Here is just an interesting story for anyone who has ever flooded their DSLR.
While on a extended trip to Mexico in 2009, I fell out of a canoe with my Pentax K-10 and a Tamaron 18 to 200mm lens. I did all of the right things to try and save the camera, but to no avail. By the way the SanDisk 8G card was fine and I was able to retrieve all of m images.
When I returned to the states, I sent it off to Pentax for an estimate. Several weeks later they gave me a quote of $276.00. I said OK, but 3 weeks later whne they shipped it back they enclosed a note that said it was unrepairable. Thanks Pentax, for letting me know! I now had a very nice bookend!
So I bought a K-20, which 3 years later, after a month long trip to the Suriname jungle, started acting erratically. With 1 month left on the warranty I sent I back to Pentax for repairs. Not being able to wait, I bought a K-5. To my surprise they completely rebuilt my k-20 and shipped it back, which I sold with the help of the Pentax Forum. Thanks!
Just for grins, I loaded a fresh charged aftermarket battery in my K-10, and surprise surprise it worked. It still has a little trouble on auto focus, and the flash appears to not be working, but I have tested it extensively, and it takes great pictures.
Moral of this story, if it has one, is never give up on your Pentax DSLR.

04-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice. I have often left SD cards in my trouser pockets and found them after they have been machine washed, none the worse for wear, but smelling so much better.
04-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is just another reason to go ahead and get a quality piece of photography equipment, be it a SD card or a Pentax camera. By the way over the years the Tamaron 18-200mm has also dried out and is working very well. Not my favorite lens, but it may be good for a leave-in-the -hot-car accessory?
04-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterF Quote
Here is just an interesting story for anyone who has ever flooded their DSLR.
While on a extended trip to Mexico in 2009, I fell out of a canoe with my Pentax K-10 and a Tamaron 18 to 200mm lens. I did all of the right things to try and save the camera, but to no avail. By the way the SanDisk 8G card was fine and I was able to retrieve all of m images.
When I returned to the states, I sent it off to Pentax for an estimate. Several weeks later they gave me a quote of $276.00. I said OK, but 3 weeks later whne they shipped it back they enclosed a note that said it was unrepairable. Thanks Pentax, for letting me know! I now had a very nice bookend!
So I bought a K-20, which 3 years later, after a month long trip to the Suriname jungle, started acting erratically. With 1 month left on the warranty I sent I back to Pentax for repairs. Not being able to wait, I bought a K-5. To my surprise they completely rebuilt my k-20 and shipped it back, which I sold with the help of the Pentax Forum. Thanks!
Just for grins, I loaded a fresh charged aftermarket battery in my K-10, and surprise surprise it worked. It still has a little trouble on auto focus, and the flash appears to not be working, but I have tested it extensively, and it takes great pictures.
Moral of this story, if it has one, is never give up on your Pentax DSLR.
Interesting story. My *istD got soaked and began acting erratically when my kayak got swamped. I took the batteries Oout immediately, and when I got back from my trip later in the day, it opened all the covers, left the lens off even, and set the lens, and cama without covers in the sun for about 4 hours. That was in August 2004. It hasn't missed a beat since, although the rear EV dial is now acting up just a little, but that is a common complaint any way.

Who needs WR any way

I am suprised yours could sit so long and still function, the water must have been away from anything that could corrode or short out. You didn't say but I assume fresh water

04-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I followed almost exactly the steps that you took, but no dice. Even Pentax said it was no fixable. Over the years I have tested it, but it never worked until a few days ago. Who knows why? I had a similar event happen, many years ago with an Olympus point and shoot. Same deal, I took out the batteries and dried it as best I could. Again it would not work. Several years later, after I was getting tired of looking at it, right before I going to throw it away, it also spang to life. In this case the lens was still pretty foggy, so it really wasn't useable, but it worked!
04-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, it was fresh water. I used to shoot underwater photos with a Nikonos camera so I know the corrosive nature thaT salt water can have. It must have shorted out something, because otherwise Pentax would have just cleaned it and sent it back.