Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
So you are looking at $400 minimum
Yes, this is what I am finding. And that costs almost as much as the trip itself

04-27-2012, 04:31 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
K10D or a K200 sound like the ticket for you, both WR and price maybe mid $200's I think. K20 is slightly dearer, and K-7 dearer still. The 18-55 WR is the cheapest WR lens, the 50-200 WR the next cheapest.
Me too. I have a K200d, bought new in 2009, and it is a trooper in awful conditions. I do not have WR lenses. The 18-55 AL II kit lens and 50-200mm have been in the thick of it with no problems whatsoever.
04-27-2012, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yes, this is what I am finding. And that costs almost as much as the trip itself
You are of course right. But then, you demand a camera that can endure - and work - during "... conditions that will be harsh at times. It will be hot and it will rain several times throughout the camping. I might also run around in mud and get sprayed by water."

I am sorry, but you just don't get such quality for free, not even when used. I can highly recommend the K200D (+ WR kit lens) because not only is it weather sealed but it also works with AA cells which I consider ideal for expeditions out in the wilderness.

04-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #19

K200D, just what the doctor ordered

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
You are of course right. But then, you demand a camera that can endure - and work - during "... conditions that will be harsh at times. It will be hot and it will rain several times throughout the camping. I might also run around in mud and get sprayed by water."

I am sorry, but you just don't get such quality for free, not even when used. I can highly recommend the K200D (+ WR kit lens) because not only is it weather sealed but it also works with AA cells which I consider ideal for expeditions out in the wilderness.

I can't agree with this more, K200D, rechargeable eneloops. I must get 500+ shots out of a charge. For a while I only had two sets of batteries, but that was more than enough to keep me going always. I've recently bought two more packs of 8 since I recently bought a speedflash. It's also relatively small and compact (so I always read, I don't have anything else DSLR wise to compare it to), but still strong, tough, non-plasticy build.

Anyway, point is, K200D is almost exactly what you described, and even if you do have to spend as much as the trip on it, you're going to have this thing around for (should be) a very long time.

04-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
I can't agree with this more, K200D, rechargeable eneloops. I must get 500+ shots out of a charge.
I got 1200 shots during the daytime one day with the grip (total 8 eneloops). I was shooting like crazy.

I have had my K200D just about 4 years. I never bought a WR lens, though.
At this point, I only own the DA 18-250 and Sigma 10-20, and those cover 99% of my needs .The other 1% might be covered by a telescope some day

I have 2 other DSLRs now, a Pentax K-r and a Canon T3i, so I don't need the K200D anymore . Both do video which was attractive to me, the K-r at 720p and the T3i at 1080p.

The AA capability is a big plus for the K200D . AA eneloops are the only type of batteries I want to use.

With the T3i I have to add a battery grip to be able to use AA, and it only takes a total of 6, vs 8 for the K200D + D-BG3 grip.
The K-r can take 4 AA with an internal adapter, no grip option.

My K200D is still on fleabay and I have added some high-res shots of the body.
My baby was well taken care of. The main visible signs of wear and tear are on the strap.

Index of /pics
Pentax K200D 10.2 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Body Only) - FREE SHIPPING (27075138131) | eBay
04-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
...I can highly recommend the K200D (+ WR kit lens) because not only is it weather sealed but it also works with AA cells which I consider ideal for expeditions out in the wilderness.
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
I can't agree with this more, K200D, rechargeable eneloops. ... Anyway, point is, K200D is almost exactly what you described, and even if you do have to spend as much as the trip on it, you're going to have this thing around for (should be) a very long time.
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I got 1200 shots during the daytime one day with the grip (total 8 eneloops). ... The AA capability is a big plus for the K200D . AA eneloops are the only type of batteries I want to use.
The ability to run on AA batteries is a huge plus and one of the main reasons I chose the K200d. Especially useful when it's inconvenient to find a power source to recharge. The Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables hold their charge on the shelf, and last a long time in use. I've gotten up to 1000 pictures with NO GRIP, just the 4 batteries in the camera body. I carry a set of fresh lithium cells as a backup but rarely need them.

One thing that I wish I'd done in the beginning was to number the batteries. When carrying 4 to 8 spares, it's easy to make a mistake when changing out dead cells if you don't keep the dead ones segregated from the fresh ones.
04-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
One thing that I wish I'd done in the beginning was to number the batteries. When carrying 4 to 8 spares, it's easy to make a mistake when changing out dead cells if you don't keep the dead ones segregated from the fresh ones.
This is sort of a hijack, but this is a very important point. My first 8 pack of eneloops were the dark blue/light blue (4 each) colors, so it has been easy for me to keep these segregated. I recently got an 8 pack of all white cells, so far i've been able to keep them separate, but that's because I keep them in 4 cell battery packs that I got on a very popular sales site that starts with an A, has a Z, and ends with ON. I've now got another 10 eneloops on the way in 5 dark blue, 5 light blue colors. The key I think is having the 4 cell storage containers. Cheap, but so, so, so useful.

04-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
*ist or d2000
Just make sure it runs on 4 AA batts
??? If you mean the film *ist, I doubt that was weather sealed, and I also don't think he was asking about film cameras. None of the DSLR *istD series (original D, DS, or DL0 were weather sealed). There is no model d2000. There was a K2000, but it was not weather sealed.

The weather sealed models are K10D, K20D, K-7, K-5, and K200D.
05-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Actually if I'm travelling, or were to go camping, that's the one time I wouldn't use eneloops and instead go with lithiums. Much lighter and you get 1,100+ shots per set rather than ~500.
05-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I'll offer an alternative. K100d with your kit lens (if you have it) and 1 or 2 of your cheap M's (not sure which you have though). The reason that the K200d is still expensive is that it's still an awesome camera. The biggest reason that I upgraded was the iso improvement of the K-5 but I'm not sure that justifies my upgrade. For landscapes the K200d was awesome. The K100d will be a step down but it's still pretty good.

Another alternative would be to get an older m4/3's (nonWR) as a lighter, cheaper travel kit. The basic kit lens and the pentax adapter for your M's would work pretty well.