Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheap WR DSLR?

Hello, friends.
In the summer I'm planning on doing a little traveling and I know the conditions will be harsh at times. It will be hot and it will rain several times throughout the camping. I might also run around in mud and get sprayed by water. I don't plan on taking my K-r with me, because I am afraid it will get damaged or lost or stolen and the idea of taking one of my SLR's with me isn't appealing either (film would be a hassle to store). I got an idea that I might find a cheap older Pentax DSLR, one with WR, so I could use it and even if it dies on me, it would be an acceptable cost. What would be a good body for that kind of work? Also, I don't own any WR lenses and I assume Pentax-M lenses also wouldn't be WR. The problem I'm seeing is that on evilbay and other similar sites old Pentax bodies cost as much as a brand new K-r, even though they are used and don't offer nearly as much in terms of quality! Am I looking for the wrong bodies or something?
Also, I live in the EU, so shipping it in from abroad pretty much means a +20% in tax. Any suggestions?

Btw, for this trip all I would need is the bare minimum, I don't need video recording or HDR or anything other than the basic shooting modes and WR. On a budget.

04-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

K10D or a K200 sound like the ticket for you, both WR and price maybe mid $200's I think. K20 is slightly dearer, and K-7 dearer still. The 18-55 WR is the cheapest WR lens, the 50-200 WR the next cheapest.
04-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #3

Love my K200d. I got it for $400 refurbished last july, i'm sure you can find it lower than that now, used.
04-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hello, friends.
In the summer I'm planning on doing a little traveling and I know the conditions will be harsh at times. It will be hot and it will rain several times throughout the camping. I might also run around in mud and get sprayed by water. I don't plan on taking my K-r with me, because I am afraid it will get damaged or lost or stolen and the idea of taking one of my SLR's with me isn't appealing either (film would be a hassle to store). I got an idea that I might find a cheap older Pentax DSLR, one with WR, so I could use it and even if it dies on me, it would be an acceptable cost. What would be a good body for that kind of work? Also, I don't own any WR lenses and I assume Pentax-M lenses also wouldn't be WR. The problem I'm seeing is that on evilbay and other similar sites old Pentax bodies cost as much as a brand new K-r, even though they are used and don't offer nearly as much in terms of quality! Am I looking for the wrong bodies or something?
Also, I live in the EU, so shipping it in from abroad pretty much means a +20% in tax. Any suggestions?

Btw, for this trip all I would need is the bare minimum, I don't need video recording or HDR or anything other than the basic shooting modes and WR. On a budget.
I'm not sure what your price range is, but there are a few K200D on ebay including mine right now, which is in good shape.

Last edited by madbrain; 04-25-2012 at 05:17 PM.
04-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

*ist or d2000
Just make sure it runs on 4 AA batts
04-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Your best bet in cheap WR segment is K200D. Newer, AA batteries, cheaper, smaller & lighter than K10D with the same 10MP sensor. Like mine a lot....and it co-exists with K-5 just fine...
04-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's one listed on the Marketplace right now:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/183050-sale-p...now-340-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You shouldn't have a problem find a k10d for around or less than $300, the k200d closer to $250 (but I would go with the k10d as it has better controls). Bump up to $450 and you should be able to find a nice k20d, which is worth the added expense. If you need video the K-7 is your cheapest sealed option, should be between $550-600 for that. The 18-55 WR kit lens is valued around $100 and the 50-200mm is somewhere between $150-180 used (best guess). Good luck in your search!
04-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great replies, everybody!
I'm finding it to be a little expensive for a one-time event, though. I thought 6 year old cameras will be cheap as chips, but apparently they aren't.
04-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rebadged Samsung models (GX10 / GX20) typically come in cheaper than the equivalent Pentax models and are presumably weather-sealed too.
04-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As much as I hate to say it, but we have a Pentax Optio Wr for just such trips. Good for record shots only but is water proof to 10ft and lightweight, can do video clips and sound bites.

Tuggie76
04-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #12

Don't discount EBay. (Not sure why so many dislike eBay. I've used it for many years with no issues. You just have to understand it as a whole, but I digress.) I got a K10D off eBay for $279 with a shutter count of 919. Practically brand new for WR body to compliment my K-r. You just got to search and watch and be patient. But as others have said, you can utilize the forum's forsale section too. There's also Keh.com and the used dept of Adorama and B and H but those will be pricier due to shipping.

Look at a second body as a WR back up, not as dispensable unit. You will utilize its WR in the future for sure.
04-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
K10D or a K200 sound like the ticket for you, both WR and price maybe mid $200's I think. K20 is slightly dearer, and K-7 dearer still. The 18-55 WR is the cheapest WR lens, the 50-200 WR the next cheapest.
First reply got it right already in my opinion. + 1 to this

Thanks for all the great replies, everybody! I'm finding it to be a little expensive for a one-time event, though. I thought 6 year old cameras will be cheap as chips, but apparently they aren't.
Moderately-used cameras like those twitch mentioned on KEH and other listings are a sure bargain, you may want to try those out. Expect a lot of shutter clicks though, and signs of use.

There are also some weather protection accessories you can use on your K-r like rain sleeves and other underwater casings, though they might not fit snug to your camera and make it look odd, at least they make your K-r and lenses weathersealed at a lower price.
04-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guys, B&H and adorama just might be out, since you need to include shipping (come on, $60-140 for a SD card?) and import tax (I believe 20%).
04-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the great replies, everybody!
I'm finding it to be a little expensive for a one-time event, though. I thought 6 year old cameras will be cheap as chips, but apparently they aren't.
It's not just the camera but also the WR lens. Even if you find are lucky enough to score a WR camera body for $250, the cheapest WR lens is the DA 18-55 WR and the lowest price I can find on it is $159.95 on ebay (new, there are none used for sale right now). So you are looking at $400 minimum. With shipping and duties, likely over $500 .